Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olds alero P0717 and Passlock

Olds alero P0717 and Passlock

Hey guys, I could use a few opinions or those experienced with GM to give their 2 cents. Our 01 Alero started shifting hard randomly yesterday, pulled the code and its a p0717.
    AKA- Turbine/Input shaft speed sensor Circuit no signal.

I find:

"GM has issued a TSB # 00-06-04-037 to cover the vehicles listed below. The condition could be caused by an intermittent connection in the Input Speed Sensor circuit. The condition is most often found at the 20-pin connector to the wiring harness interface. The input speed sensor produces a signal to the powertrain control module (PCM)........

....If the vehicle is moving at speeds greater than 5MPH and the input speed signal is low or at zero, the PCM will set P0717 and command maximum line pressure.
    Do not automatically assume that the input speed sensor is faulty. Instead, thoroughly inspect the wiring harness between the transmission and the PCM. Pay particular attention to the 20-pin connector to make sure it is not stretched tightly. Also make sure that other components are not pressing on the connector body or forcing it open. Check for proper clearance between the connector and other components. Make sure the terminals are fully seated in the connector. Check for bent male terminals or loose female terminals. Also check the crimp on the terminals.

Every shop In waterloo charges $70+ to simply check the code, so I payed $100 to read them myself...

ANyway, I see nothing wrong, any ideas what i should look for here?

Re: Olds alero P0717

oh jeeze so i found this:

Failing Component:
    Power Train:Automatic Transmission
    Summary:
    Information on 4t40-e (mn4) and 4t45-e (mn5) front wheel drive automatic transmission valve body reconditioning, DTC P0741, P0742, P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757, P1811, harsh shifts, slips, no drive, no reverse.

Does that mean it needs a new freakin transmission...

k, so im basically logging here with what info I have found. Maybe someone else will find this info usefull...after i actually fix the problem.

p0717 input speed sensor circuit low input. (according to Haynes manual...another $20)

Vehicle speeds sensor (vss) is a permanent magnet generator mounted on transaxle.

Where on transaxle idk yet, but its somewhere on their, if the wires appear good, and its not unplugged or anything, I think its safe to say the sensor is bad. After which if that fixes the problem I will take it into a reputable shop and have the trans flushed and level checked.

2001 oldsmobile alero speed sensor cost: $15-$29 at advance auto.

great...installed new vss and it did nothing, in fact it may be worse. I think the tranny started slipping and maybe thats the problem in the first place. IDK automatics well but if its slipping maybe the car assumes the sensor is at fault for seeing 2 different speeds...

either way im f'd, that was the dd.

L&M Transmission currently has the Alero, and its as I suspected, the input vehicle speed sensor is the culprit. It is located INSIDE the transmission so theirs $500 for them to pull it and see if its the sensor, or wire or something catastrophic.

This is good info for other Alero owners, which hope is none of you!

The transmission issue was resolved and the cost came in at $1,100. We think we have ourselves a solid car now, and the GM Pass lock Security system starts acting up. So what happens? For no known reason whatsoever, the security system sets itself off. What this means is if you stop for gas or just shut the car off for any reason and the car in the mean time thinks someone tried to steal it...its no longer functional. The power accessories dont work, the radio doesnt work, and the injectors are shut off. In my most recent case the power locks do work...incredibly interesting or just more pos wiring from GM.
    So whats the fix? Well they dont actually have a fix..or a recall. For those that install a keyless entry theirs a way around the security, and many use that so they can just keep the car running. In my case the cars security light had been on for a few days and the radio in locked mode thus useless. So last night I unhooked the battery hoping to clear any codes or problems. No, bad idea. The car now wont start, so I decided its time to take the next step and do the wiring mod.

..No, that doesnt work either. So most likely the car is going to need a new ignition. How do you go about doing that when the car doesnt start...well tow it. yey.

Re: Olds alero P0717 and Passlock

I gave it another try. UN hooked the battery. Came back a while later plugged it back in. I put the key to accessory its still all locked down the radio doesnt come on. I turn it off and to start and it started. I let it run for a while, the radio was on no security light, I got a little excited. Then the radio shut off said locked and the security light came on. I let it run some more anyway. Then to be safe shut it off to test it and turn it back on. Radio says CALIBRATE and car will not start. I am at a loss here I don't know where to go from here. Everything is in factory setup, no hacks no stereo equipment nothing.

Something somewhere is tripping the security system. But its not fully tripped or something...if they even offered a wiring diagram of the security system I MAY have had a chance.

I have to add this as it was just too much. Gm made a claim that if all of the vehicles had this "problem" that you cant prove its a "problem" or something that is simply the way its built. Basically saying, maybe we want it to do that?! Or since we cant fix it, and most do it, its just a factory option?! WTH

This is some kind of sick joke. I rattled around under the passenger side dash as some think the BCM terminals may be the issue. I turn the key it starts, all codes clear. I move it over by the garage and begin cleaning it out. As out hopes for today were to search local dealerships for a replacement car. It sits idling for about 15 minutes. I noticed a little hiccup in the idle for a second. I look in at the gauges and the TCS light is on. Ok I say, I dont care, get the gf rounded up, to go for a drive. Put it into drive, CLUNK. Its doing the same thing with the transmission it did before the overhaul. It is of course entirely un drivable in this state. The only way to clear the code would be with an obd2 scanner or unhooking the battery.