Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gah! There goes my front bumper...

isnt there special paint meant for bumpers that can flex and not flake though?

yeah their is some paint they say is for bumpers. I was talking about something a little different. And a tad expensive, comes in tiny aerosol cans for like $14 a can. I wish i had pics, but i dont.

yeah, that flex fiber stuff is pretty sweet. The body kit i ordered for my RX7 is made of that. I also got the drift kit...

Anyways there are some videos on youtube (IIRC) that shows the quality and flexablity.durability of the kits. They twist it just like in the pics, beat it with a 5lb hammer, have a guy jump all over it and etc etc...
    -_-

The owner of the place I ordered the bumper returned an email to me a couple days ago. He mentioned in the email (among answering my other questions) that Flex-Fiber is actually more durable than the urethane bumper that came on my car.

And the thing that definitely puts flex fiber over the top is the fact that it is repairable like fiberglass. Urethane, 9 times out of 10 just has to be replaced.

Zac

pics zac pics! i can chop it onto the front of the car if ya want.

I'm going to get a picture of tha ravaged bumper tomorrow.

It really doesn't look that bad because I broke some more off of it to even it out. I stopped by Kelley's Auto-Body today and I'm bringing the bumper over to them tomorrow to get an estimate done for the paint and mount, but i'm not going to put the bumper on until at least April-May because I want to make sure the paint has time to set real good and not be damaged by all the sand and salt in the roads, plus I want to make sure we're done with snow before I mount it.

Along those lines, Matt (RandomHero) are you available tomorrow (Tuesday) at all? If so I could definitely use some help getting that bumper around. I have to meet the freight guy somewhere, then I gotta bring it out to Kelley's to get an estimate. If not that's cooll because I think it will fit in my car, but if you're bored give me a call tonight and leave me a message if you wanna help out tomorrow.

Zac

Re: Gah! There goes my front bumper...

You should just go without a bumper...you have the absolute worst luck of anyone I have ever known when it comes to bumpers. Just FYI flex fiber has been around alot longer than 2006, it just hit the lower end of the market lately. Ecklers (corvette company) and some other high dollar suppliers have been providing flex fiber body parts for a long time, so its tried and tested technology. If you ever need any repair materials check ecklers out. They have flex resin and all the things you need to repair defects/damage.