Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EGR valve removal.

Wow I’m actually surprised that Justin or Kristen didn’t say anything yet.

Yeah block it off if you like, they make a block off plate if you want it to look pretty otherwise just weld it up. As for the vacuum lines, remove em all and block em off with the little rubber plugs. NOT ALL the vacuum lines, just the ones for EGR stuff. =)

EGR valve allows small amounts of exhaust gas to be recirculated through the engine to introduce non-burnable gasses, like CO2 to the combustion chamber. This lowers peak combustion temps, preventing formation of NOx gasses.

On the DSM, it is effecting the idle because egr is not supposed to be open at idle, it's basically a vacuum leak. His valve is sticking open because of carbon buildup.

Some car's also use EGR to prevent preignition. The CO2 works the same way the N does in N2O. It dampens combustion. Some Camaro owners have experienced preignition/detonation after disabling the EGR systems.

and now i'm confused... =D

yeah, me too.

oh god...

exhaust is burned, therefore it won't burn again. dump it into the intake and it displaces some air, and dilutes the oxygen content. Less oxygen means you need less fuel. Less fuel & oxygen means it will burn cooler.

NOx's (x meaning a number, NO2, NO3, etc..) occur at lean air fuel mixtures and hot combustion temperatures. Running rich causes HC emissions, so the best way to prevent NOx's from forming is to reduce the temperature.

EGR does not function at idle, when the engine is cold, and most of the time does not function during acceleration.

Removing EGR will not increase power, because it usually does not function at WOT. It will increase NOx emissions, which will cause your car to fail a sniffer test.

^duh...

as long as I can disable it without seriously affecting the drivability then that's a great weight off my mind.