Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 231

Thread: Dustin's turbo truck build

  1. #1
    Moderator DustinsDuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    7,259

    Dustin's turbo truck build

    so i decided that i have taken too many other threads into frantic oblivian talking about my project, and that i would finally make my own thread for it. sorry to all the others who's threads i derailed.

    i never even knew about the swap really until Derek bought a Ram50 last year and started to do it himself. in case you didnt know, the engine being swapped in is your garden variety 4G63 out of a DSM. i had toyed with the idea of taking the drivetrain from my Duster and swapping it into my truck, but this sounded a lot more appealing. i wanted to keep the truck daily driverable, and the 4cyl's gas milage, fuel injection and reliability(compared to the V8 anyway). that, and (pretty much) everything would bolt in!

    ok, enough talk, how about some pics.

    the subject(stock, before):


    REPRESENT


    so now i needed a motor. more than a motor, i needed lots of stuff. so i set about looking for a cheap DSM to buy. i ended up finding a '90 Eclipse GS on Dragsource. it was just what i was looking for- a running car(pretty much) that was beat up enough to be cheap. i managed to talk the owner down to $750, and drove the car home from Des Moines on 3 cylinders. it leaked oil like hell, missed, grinded going into gear, etc., but it did have a small 16g- a slight silver lining.





    in a week or two, i managed to strip everything i needed out of the car, and sell most of what i didnt need to recoup a few hundred bucks.



    so at this point i had a big peice of the puzzle, but i still needed a lot of things and also needed to do a lot more reasearch. http://www.projectzerog.com proved to be an invaluable tool, as it is completely dedicated to RWD 4G63 swaps. learning from other people's mistakes and elbow grease can really save you a lot of time and money. Derek also provided a lot of insight from doing his own swap. thanks man.

    after collecting parts and doing a lot of reasearch, i finally got off my ass and got to work on the engine. the teardown of the supposedly rebuilt engine :rolls: revealed more dirt and grime than youd expect to see in Paris Hilton's shower.















    after seeing what i had gotten myself into, i decided to take the engine to Performance Concepts in Marion to have it cleaned and checked out. the owner, Steve, is a family friend and really went the extra mile with my engine. they hadn't ever built a 4G63, but after seeing the quality of the work they do, and just how meticulous they are, i am completely confident in their work. the original plan was just to disassemble the motor, clean it as best i could, and reassemble it with new gaskets/bearings/rings and throw it all back together on the cheap. there turned out to be too much wrong to do that, so i just let Performance do all the work. you get what you pay for with engine work. i know i paid a bit more than most would care to spend, but this is going to be my d/d, and i can't afford to have it breaking down on me.

    checking everything showed that the block would need to be bored, but the crank and rods were good and could be reused as is. i got .020" over Mahle forged pistons and also had them rebuild the head with a good valvejob as well. i also got a new oil pump and eliminated the balance shafts while i was in there. i am very pleased with the results so far:










    well, that's all i have pics of at the moment, i'll try to get some more soon, and will be updating the thread as i get further and further along in the swap.

    don't be shy with comments/feedback/questions/advice; as you can tell, i love talking about this stuff!
    Tango 'til they're sore

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jappbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Dustin's turbo truck build

    is that a new timing tensoner, or just new bolts, cause it looks used. Other than that it looks great, I allways use locktite on all the timing belt components as well as all the accesorys. you dont want the timing pully to come off causeing you to be stuck on the road with lots of engine damage. keep us updated!

    97-Viper TT - 10.2@145 1.62 60foot, 4th pass ever.
    11-370z

    PM for AEM Tuning

  3. #3
    Moderator DustinsDuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    7,259

    Re: Dustin's turbo truck build

    they had the old idler and tensioner pullies on there to figure out how much to grind off the waterpump(that's the waterpump from the 2.0L carb'd MM/D50 engine). you'll see new pullies when i get some more pics of it.
    Tango 'til they're sore

  4. #4
    IAF Team Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: Dustin's turbo truck build

    He's talking about the actual hydraulic tensionar Dustin. You really want to put a NEW one on there if it's used from that other engine.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,688

    Re: Dustin's turbo truck build

    Im not sure what to say about this thing except it looks like a badass project man.. I like the fact your giving it a good chance to work and putting alot of effort into it instead of just slapping parts together with old worn, dirty components and hoping it works.. I bet that little sucker will run pretty good, whats it weigh like maybe 2400lbs??? put a decent trans and a 8.8 rear in there, sticky tires, you can go out and smoke alot of cars with it. I guess I'll be the first to complain about the truck itself, put some other rims on there "at least some decent steel ones" lower that damn thing. get rid of the semi truck mirrors and stickers on it.. maybe some fresh paint. I bet Steve is waiting for another paint project by now isnt he?? My suggestion would be a cool ass exhaust on this thing!!! This may sound wierd but if you look on Ebay or something and search boomtubes, its the nascar "mufflers" that are really flat, I always wanted to use these on something that wouldnt look redneck, maybe you can incorporate them into your project somehow.. I like it alot, I wish I didnt have so much stuff going on so I could work on projects like this!! kinda jealous to be honest, good work keep it up! :bigthumb:

  6. #6
    Admin Drifte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    7,263

    Re: Dustin's turbo truck build

    I have those seats out of your eclipse now. Projects coming along nicely. LIke the other two said, lock tite timing components (i used red this time, no bs and stiff motor mounts). Hydrolic tensioners always a god thing to replace as well as the pulleys. I made you a picture of what you were going for didnt i? Whens this going in, I thought you would be driving the truck all winter now.

  7. #7
    Senior Member McKeever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Center Point
    Posts
    242

    Re: Dustin's turbo truck build

    Sweet...another turbo mini!

    M.S.T.A :BURNOUT: LOL
    98 Turbo Taco
    66 Studebaker Daytona
    01 Infiniti QX4
    93 F-150
    02 Corolla

  8. #8
    Moderator DustinsDuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    7,259

    Re: Dustin's turbo truck build

    Quote Originally Posted by TbTalon94
    He's talking about the actual hydraulic tensionar Dustin. You really want to put a NEW one on there if it's used from that other engine.
    im not sure, but they bought a whole tensioner kit, so i would assume its new. especially with the way they do things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Im not sure what to say about this thing except it looks like a badass project man.. I like the fact your giving it a good chance to work and putting alot of effort into it instead of just slapping parts together with old worn, dirty components and hoping it works.. I bet that little sucker will run pretty good, whats it weigh like maybe 2400lbs??? put a decent trans and a 8.8 rear in there, sticky tires, you can go out and smoke alot of cars with it. I guess I'll be the first to complain about the truck itself, put some other rims on there "at least some decent steel ones" lower that damn thing. get rid of the semi truck mirrors and stickers on it.. maybe some fresh paint. I bet Steve is waiting for another paint project by now isnt he?? My suggestion would be a cool ass exhaust on this thing!!! This may sound wierd but if you look on Ebay or something and search boomtubes, its the nascar "mufflers" that are really flat, I always wanted to use these on something that wouldnt look redneck, maybe you can incorporate them into your project somehow.. I like it alot, I wish I didnt have so much stuff going on so I could work on projects like this!! kinda jealous to be honest, good work keep it up! :bigthumb:
    the truck weighs just over 2600lbs as it sits right now. it might shave a few lbs with the new wheels i got for it:




    those will have to wait until next year when i can put the 8.8 under the truck and swap to toyota hubs in the front to get the 5x4.5" lug pattern.

    the mirrors are already gone- swapped for some small ones mounted up by the window like normal. i just have to smooth the bolt holes off along with the rest of the bodywork. i also dont like the sticker stripe alonge the bottom, but the truck would look too plain with it just solid silver, so i think i am going to paint the bottom black once i finish the bodywork. eventually, i am sure i'll have steve paint it- as i cant see myself paying a lot to have my daily driver painted.

    im not really sure what i am going to do for an exhaust yet. i dont want it to be obnoxious at all. id really like to keep it quiet if i could.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drifte
    I have those seats out of your eclipse now. Projects coming along nicely. LIke the other two said, lock tite timing components (i used red this time, no bs and stiff motor mounts). Hydrolic tensioners always a god thing to replace as well as the pulleys. I made you a picture of what you were going for didnt i? Whens this going in, I thought you would be driving the truck all winter now.
    i have to change the intake gaskets on Kelli's grand am, and then i can start driving that while the truck is down. hopefully start tearing into the truck in the next week or two.

    here's the photoshop'd pic Colton did for me. not too shabby:

    Tango 'til they're sore

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Iowa by way of Texas
    Posts
    276

    Re: Dustin's turbo truck build

    Dodge truck powered by a DSM, interesting. Motor looks good too.

    Makes me want to get a smaller truck, what with the gas prices and all.......

  10. #10
    Moderator DustinsDuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    7,259

    Re: Dustin's turbo truck build

    Quote Originally Posted by slobalt
    Dodge truck powered by a DSM, interesting. Motor looks good too.

    Makes me want to get a smaller truck, what with the gas prices and all.......
    more interesting will be the GM trans and Ford rear end behind all of that...
    Tango 'til they're sore

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •