Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting to worry (tuning help-ish)

Starting to worry (tuning help-ish)

Alright so I'm throwing 2 CEL's, the barometric sensor is constant and the intake air temp is in my history. I'm getting a new MAF from drifte this weekend but I'm starting to worry because my car is always knocking the more i accelerate the more knock all the way up to 43 on the datalogger unless i'm not accelerating at all. My 02-r stays at like 4.98 if i give it any gas and from .01 to 1.0 when not giving it gas.
    I have a b16g turbo on stock boost but i dont go past 5 cuz i try not to hit boost at all, and 650cc injectors. Just to set a picture when i first got the injectors i had my safc set to -15% and i had 105% for my ftlow, 102% for my ftmid and 100 for high. I just set it to +3 on the way home to try and compensate to take that knock away but it still does it. Thats alot of fuel...anybody have any idea what i should do till this weekend. Besides not drive because I have to work to pay for this P.O.S.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” Ernest Hemingway

Re: Starting to worry (tuning help-ish)

put stock injectors in and zero out afc, then check for boost leaks. Or at least go around and tighten all clamps.

I have a damn near brand new knock sensor in storage as well if yours appears to be "melting."

My one of my 450's went bad thats why I upgraded lol. I think the knock sensor is right, unless 43 knock is easy to hear because I really cant hear much since my car is running like a fat pig right now anyway. And for boost leaks there are no external leaks. Only thing I didnt do was open the oil fill cap and listen into the valve cover.

Edit: I do think my o2 acts up though, because sometimes my fto2 reads flat 100 then will start working then go back to 100. If thats goes I'm just gonna buy a wideband. I'm upgrading as it breaks pretty much but its breaking faster than I make money. =/
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” Ernest Hemingway

They usually do. Id really put it back to stock and start going over all the little things. Ive done this a few times, it takes time to bring a car back and make it fast.

we'll try my maf here quick and my other ecu and see what it does.

Sweet I was gonna ask if we could try your ECU to =P I guess I wait and hope. If you drove it you'd know why I'm so worried though lol...its bad

IAF Team Member

43 counts of knock isn't correct. If you had that much real knock your motor would be dead. Check and make sure your knock sensor isn't bad. Then check for boost leaks. Then change the maf. Put the arc back to what you had before. It should be closer to -25% or so for 650s. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd the you the exact number. 650/450 -1 = adjustment on afc.

Wouldnt it throw a code for the knock sensor being bad? I guess I'll check it this weekend. =P Gonna be a talon tear down this weekend haha.

Drifte is selling me a new MAF soo hopefully that gets rid of my 2 CEL's. I hope it will be that easy, doubtful.

IAF Team Member

The CEL never really goes off for the knock sensor. The 1g sensors are not very good and when they protective "goo" comes off the back of the sensor it causes all kinds of problems. 43 counts of knock is maxed on the logger, which means you either have phantom knock (look it up) or the knock sensor is bad.

The injector adjustment should be -44% according to the formula. So you were probably running rediculously rich with only -15% take out. Get a 2g maf and you can drop that down by 15%...so it would only need around -29% taken out with the 650's and 2g maf. I have a 2g maf laying around by the way. You can knock from running to rich also, but the problem sounds like your maf. The ECU neeeeeeds intake temp and baro pressure to calculate the mass air. Or atleast a real value.

-Trevor

IAF Team Member

Also do you have an upgraded fuel pump? Say a Walbro 255? If you do, do you have a fuel pressure regulator...cuz if you don't then you've got another problem to worry about.

Nope, on stock fuel pump with stock wiring. That was in the future including the AFPR. I planned on running a GM maf once I got a front mount soo I'm gonna get a new 1g maf for now and hope that solves it. And I'll check the knock sensor this weekend. When I had it at -15% it never knocked unless I was really getting on it because I know I didnt have that tuned right.