Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternator help, "jerry rigging" if you will....

Re: Alternator help, "jerry rigging" if you will....

are you keeping the stock alt and adding this one, or running just the high current alternator?

I don't really see a problem with running only the high amp unit as long as you plan on keeping the voltage around stock (13.5-13.8).

Just going to run the 300A one...
    I did end up ditching the 16V setup and grabbed some DC Sound Labs batteries (BatCap 2000's) so. I am thinking I will throw it in and set the regulator to around 15V which should be OK and that should keep me around 14V to the amp...

that MK4W puts out some damn nice power!
    -_-

You will need to run 13.5-13.8 or your stock computers and electronics will probably not be happy.

But, running 2 alts would allow you to run a dedicated charging system for the amp, which could be 16V.

My stock setup sat at about 14.2-14.4 before any audio was added. It drops to 13.5V when my stuff hits hard. I good alternator (factory) should put out atleast a good 14.4V, a fully charged battery should sit at aound 12.66V as well. Usualy you want to run the alternator about 1.5V-2V higher than the voltage of the battery

as for teh dual atlernators i wish that was an option... However there is barely enough room for the stock stuff under my hood, no chance of fitting a second alt. Cadillacs are nice cars but just changing the belt took me and james about 1/2 an hour. He literaly had to use his body wight to push my arm further so i could get it in the proper areas and everything... Needless to say i cut the shit out of myself that night...
    -_-

Well, then giver a shot.