Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1996 Talon N/A: Shuts off at stops

Re: 1996 Talon N/A: Shuts off at stops

haha, well, its not quiet that easy on the 63, but an na 63 doesnt perform as well as the 420 either. Theirs ups and downs to both. If I had any free time we could do it over the weekend. My civics gettin a new waterpump this weekend tho, and oil.

IAF Team Member

I'd help you to but this weekend I've got to put my Talon back together, and then put Andrew's Eclipse back together....ah another busy weekend with working on DSMs. Story of my life.

It's no huge rush. Really the car has been doing great as far as I can tell. This problem is just annoying at best. If anyone gets any free time on a Tuesday or Thursday and wants to help me out, let me know. I don't have a lot of tools at my house but I'd be willing to bring the car to your place, wherever.

I'm just ready to get this problem taken care of. Its breaking my spirit in DSMs. lol.

Zac

The problem has now been fixed... although I didn't really do anything.

I've read that sometimes this issue has to do with the ECU of the car, and that disconnecting the negative end of the battery for 60 seconds will reset the ECU.

The other day I was going to charge up the battery (some weird guy on the DSM forums said that he was 100% sure it was the battery... I was 100% sure it wasn't, but I figured I had the day off and nothing better to do) and so I unhooked the battery completely and plugged in the charger. The charger wouldn't charge the battery because it was already testing at plenty of power.

The whole process took me about 5 minutes once I removed the battery and then hooking up my charger and such. Ever since I plugged the battery back in, the car has run great. Even from cold starts.

My only concern is that when I read about this before, the person said it only fixed the problem temporarily. I'm hoping my problem is fixed completely. Maybe I'll have good luck and the problem was just that the battery hasn't been disconnected in over a year and a half.

Zac

*EDIT* Ashley claims its happening again, so apparantly it really is only a temporary fix? I still think I need to clean that ISC motor because that's what makes the most sense. I just thought it was very interesting that resetting the ECU temporarily fixed the problem...though I can't find anything online that tells me what to do if it is the ECU's problem.

Anyone think it's possible that the ISC motor is throwing off the ECU values and thus resetting the ECU (which restores the default values) makes it so the car runs fine until the ECU has time to adjust back to the improper readings it is getting from the engine? I read somewhere that a bad ISC motor is not good for the car's ECU.

IAF Team Member

Sounds like it's a sensor somewhere. Reseting the ECU will reset all the values and everything will run fine as long as it isn't a mechanical problem, until the ecu figures out the sensor is bad then it will run in a sort of "limp" mode. Reseting the ecu kicks it back to factory defaults and thus fixes the problem temporarily.

I'd definatly check that ISC, and the wiring on other related sensors. It sure sounds something electrical.