Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1996 Talon N/A: Shuts off at stops

Re: 1996 Talon N/A: Shuts off at stops

That sounds like a good plan Colton. I've already done the basics of a tune-up (changed the spark plugs, air filter, its still current on oil change, checked all fluids, etc).

I really want to get the fuel filter changed out, because I would imagine that has never been done on this car and it's at about 140,000 miles right now. I'll have to google how to change it, as that's something I've never done before but my dad says I should be able to figure it out.

Zac

I have a 95-99 shop manual sitting around here somewhere includes the 4g63 and the 420a as well. Ill look in to it, I know it helped on my car when I got the fuel filter changed out.
    Andrew Sexton
    Owner of ATS Automotive

Let me know Andrew. Maybe we can do that when we change those struts too. Just let me know what it'll cost for the filter.

The work is just pilin' up man. hehe. I guess better to do it all at once than have to constantly do things over and over.

Zac

IAF Team Member

Might want to look into the coolant temperature sensor too Zac. When they go bad the car thinks it's colder/warmer then it actually is and it messes with all kinds of things. Definatly would explain why you only have a problem when it's cold out.

I looked that up just now. Sounds like a fair guess and it seems easy to replace. Looks like you disconnect the battery cable, unplug it, unscrew it, put the new one back in, and plug the wires back in.

I'll do this today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Zac

Just got done changing that out. We'll see if it helps. I have no way of knowing right now though because I drove the car to autozone to pick up the part, so it's warm right now and probably will stay that way for at least a couple hours.

Even if it doesn't work, the part was only $7.99 and it was easy to install, plus the old one looked like crap. I also read that sometimes the problem with this part is the wiring, I know the connection on the old part was green and corroded so there's still a chance there could be some problem with the wiring.

I will update this later. THANK YOU Trevor for suggesting this one. Whether it works or not, my description of my problem matches the failure symptoms of this part to a tee.

Zac

i was gonna suggest coolant temp sensor, but mine never would even start once that went bad. hehe, silly cars. I know u can do a fuel filter its no big deal. I just got done doin one for my bros gfriend. Hers was so bad it was rusted, and leaked fuel out....so it was time in her case (damn ford).

Yeah I think i'm gunna do a new fuel filter anyways, because I'm 100% sure it's never been changed and probably either needs it now or will need it soon.

I read a DIY on the internet about it earlier. They said to remove the fuse for the fuel pump and start up the car until it dies. Then try to start it a couple more times to make sure all the fuel is out of the line.

Then looks like it's a matter of unclamping a hose and switching the part out.

Zac

hehe yea thats one of those "cant sue me" im so safe DIY. Really all I ever do is take the gas cap off and crack the filter lines loose. Usually have a rag under it to catch some excess fuel. I assume yours is in the same place as the turbo dsm's anyways.

IAF Team Member

So did it fix it Zac?