Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: well...

well...

well, i raced Rob last night, and something broke in my driveline. we thought it was a cracked flexplate at first, because of the loud knock(sounds like a rod knock, but i dont think its the engine, engine has plenty of oilpressure, and the noice seems to go away when i put it in park). the dilema is what to do. a tranny rebuild or a new converter will be a few hundred dollars each, and i dont see much logic in spending that much money to drive my car for a couple more months and then tear the whole thing apart to redo the whole car.

so what do you guys think? would you shell out $300-$800 just to drive your car for a couple months and probably get kicked off the strip for not having a rollbar? or would you rather just put the money towards the bigger goal of the car?

Put it toward the bigger goal. Always keep the end in sight.

yeah bro save it... drive your DD and put the duster away for the winter.

i think thats pretty much whats going to happen. either the trans is bad, or i have a bad rod bearing; either way, its not feasible to pay to fix it just to drive for the rest of the summer.

time to tear it down and sell what i am not going to be using for money to buy new stuff for it....

are you keeping that transmission? if so then it would be worth it to fix it now, because you'll have to do it eventually anyway

i am, but the next build will be MUCH more serious. more serious than i am willing to pay for now. you dont build the roof before the floor.....

Re: well...

I am, but the next build will be MUCH more serious.

Hell ya for sure, enough to beat any d/d.

On a more serious note once upon a time my lil bro drove my 69 while I was gone. Later he said, oh it has a noise, well it was one spun rod bearing, I had a solid cam and he overspun it. We had no over rev stuff those days. Good oil pressure still 45# at idle, not real loud. I'd get a stethoscope on the oil pan and wherever else to make sure.

cant, my start mounts to my transmission and the ring gear is on my converter. couldnt test that without putting it all back together, which i am not going to do.

Rob, i wish i couldve got a clean race with you, i wouldve felt better if the race was at least a little closer. did you ever see the video? was there any? to be completely honest, if i broke loose, let out of it, got back in it and only managed to lose by 4 lengths, i am pretty happy with that. that my friends, is what we call "making lemonade", hehehe

Well since you are doing it all doesn't matter anyhow, you will find out anyway though I would screen the oil when you drain it and cut the oil filter open.

Video... talk to oldskool, there are headlights/ good sound anyway. He was sitting at finish ur side. U looked a big fast blur.

I got lucky and didn't screw up bad, plain and simple. The car did good, everything worked. I did bump the limiter 2 to 3, I guess that's a screw up. Normally at most 6.2k. Ask me how many clean races I get. I'd say 2 out of 10. Track, street doesn't seem to matter. Ticks me off.

I would say cut apart the filter "dont use a cutoff wheel, haha" that should tell you more than you probably want to know.. good luck with it Dustin