Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 85 supra problems.

85 supra problems.

car died. thought it was the fuel pump.

today i had the cap off the distributor and found out that the rotor dosnt turn when the engine cranks.

Im thinking the timing belt went? Just woundering if somthing else would cause this.

crank, alternator ps and ac pullies all spin when its cranking.

Re: 85 supra problems.

I just got back from removing the top timing belt cover. we cranked it over a few times.

All the pulleys spin. Crank, AC, PS, alternator. but the Timing Belt didnt move an inch which is why the rotor isnt turning on the distributor.

When we went to start it the engine shook a little it seems like the crank and pistons are doing there thing. I thought that the crank turned the timing belt as well but maybe im wrong? or does it sound like its shot.

the timing belt drives the cams and the distributor, the starter turns the crank and therefore everything else. sounds to me like a broken timing belt. pray you dont have an interferance engine...

the timing belt seems to be intact and has proper tension... I guess this is what i get trying to daily drive an 85 toyota.

any info from anyone would be a big help. Im some what stumped to what is going on inside the engine right now.

remove bottom timing belt cover and make sure the belt is undamaged and free of debris.

it is possible the belt broke, and became tangled up in the bottom half of the timing cover where you cant see

I would love for that to be the case. I'll run down after work and get the belt off.

* there was alot of shit in the timing chain cover... it looked almost like steel wool maybe the belt just kind of tore itself up...

Nowhere can I find it specified to be an interferance engine, which generally means it is not. No guarantees though.

Just wondering, is this the one with huge 18" Team Dynamics rims?
    Generic signature quote.

no.

** update **

i found a tooth off of the belt wedged between the idler pulley. I am sure thats what the problem is now. I looked around and it is not a interference engine so there shouldnt be any major damage.

I need to go buy a breaker bar before i can get the crank pulley off so im hoping to have the belt off sunday and i'll go order one and hopfully it'll run again.

Thanks for the help.

use a large box-end wrench as a breaker bar...