Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock C6 Z06 @ 10.80's on Drag Slicks

Stock C6 Z06 @ 10.80's on Drag Slicks

http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=514

Got kicked off the track, go figure....

Quoted from the owner;
    On my first pass of the day, after an hour-long cool-down and change of rear tires to the BFGs, I ran a clean pass with the type of launch and 1-2 shift I’ve been looking for. Here are the splits:

60'........1.679 3650 launch rpm with a fast clutch release and fast throttle squeeze
    330'......4.625
    660'......7.046 102.61
    1000'.....9.114
    1320'...10.856 129.50

Density Altitude at the time of the pass was negative 850 feet on my TAG weather station. Air temperature was 51 degrees. Barometer was excellent and humidity was low.

Track surface temperature was 60 degrees, kissed sweetly by full sun.

Soon after returning to the pits, amid a mild celebration, I was visited by a track official on a motor-bike for a discussion of the safety equipment in my car. He noted it was apparent from the tower that my UnderArmor compression top wasn’t a fire-jacket. And his check inside the car found no roll-bar. He complimented the pass and I took the hint, agreeing to slow down. In keeping with that pledge, I made one more pass. After bogging the launch to comply with guidance, was then somehow unable to keep from driving the rest of the pass…well…fast. I picked up the slip, 11.03 129.22 1.80. And that was it for the day.

Special thanks to dgdoc, Steve, and Bill for their moral support and assistance crewing the car, today.

For the record, nothing has been changed on my car since delivery other than the driver’s experience. ECU/PCM is stock. Air filter is original. Nothing after-market at all.

I did dismount the stock rears and strap on three-year-old BFG 315.35.17 DRs, graciously lent to me by Dick Link. :thumb These tires are perfect for the C6Z in that they don’t overwhelm the finicky LS7 clutch. And, if properly heated, they can provide excellent traction. I also raised the stock front tires to 40 psi; above that the DIC starts nagging on start-up.

If anyone wishes to draw a distinction that “bone stock” must include “stock tires,” he/she may wish to revisit scores of threads I’ve started over the past six years describing adventures at the drag strip with bone-stock Z06s either on (1) stock tires or (2) drag radials. I’m always clear about the tires on the car any particular day, in the thread title.

On shift points, as alway, I tried to make each shift as close to the limiter as possible without kissing it. On this 10.85 pass my shift points were good, at 7000 except for the 2-3 which occurred at about 6700. So, was not a perfect pass.

As for powershifting, I eased the throttle on the 1-2 and 2-3 but did powershift the 3-4. My experience has shown that you can shift fast while still easing the throttle. Takes practice.

I’ve written frequently that it takes 30-50 passes for a driver to approach his lower limit in a new plaform. That 10.85 was my 52d pass in the car.

I have some video footage of uncertain quality (new guy on the camera) and some audio files of the exhaust on the pass, plus a spreadsheet with split/incremental analysis. I’ll work on these over the weekend and edit them into this post. I am posting the slip of this record pass, certified by an MIR tower official.

I close by offering my continued appreciation to the Corvette Team and extended family for the C6Z06, a truly amazing car and the new legend. And somehow I know, Zora is pleased.

Edit (061105): I've added a thumb of my normal spreadsheet analysis of the 10.85 pass at a negative DA against my 11.06 at a positive DA last week. It clearly shows the small contribution made by the better DA. But improved driving in the first 330' is the main factor that made the pass memorable.

Best to all,

Ranger
    1968 Rally Sport
    1986 IROC
    1994 Z/28

sure didnt sound very stock. but sure is fast

8 dsm's aka life lessons sold*
    04 Forester XT 220awhp sold*
    00' S10 Xtreme FDB sold*
    00' Mountaineer AWD 5.0 210k miles and sold*
    07' Yamaha R6r 104whp 370lbs sold*
    07' TBSS AWD with over 400 womprats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJAD_Fzh9Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbjI6OeS6uE

Watch the video at the bottom of the page, that is just with a cam change on a stock car and no ECM flashing done to it.
    http://www.horsepowerengineering.com/
    Stage III cam and 150 shot of NOS - 708 RWHP, 676 RWTQ

GM designed the Exhaust to go wide open via a baffle at 3K RPM.
    Also at a base price of 67K, it's the cheapest sports car to beat the exotics and the viper, Motor Trend's best ET was 11.7 with major traction issues stated in the issue when the testing was done
    1968 Rally Sport
    1986 IROC
    1994 Z/28

Re: Stock C6 Z06 @ 10.80's on Drag Slicks

and the viper, Motor Trend's best ET was 11.7 with major traction issues stated in the issue when the testing was done....

Yea those jokers couldn't drive squat, I drove faster than those fools by far. 12.6's at 114ish at cedar falls 2yrs ago w exhaust. Like that vette owner said it takes 30 to 50 passes to get it down somewhat. I figure motor trend is like me jumping into your camaro, wtf is this, so I really put no stock into it 1/4 mi wise. They really don't do a 40 45 to 125 130 to get a basic idea what the power is on stock tires esp for fwd. The new z06 vette can be fast no doubt, we need it along with a viper, srt's, fords etc. even the imports. It forces all to offer up a car with performance. In the u.s. the vette and stang been around longer continuous than any others hopefully the camaro will come back..

pretty mean cars right off the showroom floor...

neat car, but id still rather have a new Challenger
    Tango 'til they're sore

You can tell he is a vett owner! listen to him talk.

Nice. Ok all you import guys can chime in now and name all the other rice burners that do 10s stock. :supz:
    When in doubt, give it gas. :supz:

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSweeper";p="115347
    You can tell he is a vett owner! listen to him talk.
    Kinda sounds like a Rockwell Employee
    1968 Rally Sport
    1986 IROC
    1994 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ4_Camaro";p="115357
    Nice. Ok all you import guys can chime in now and name all the other rice burners that do 10s stock. :supz:
    oh,oh now u done it..... flamesuit on..... Hmmm according to various harley davidson types, rice burners are any import motorcycle from Japan....

So any 1000 cc or bigger 4 cyl honda, suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki cbrrr, yzf, zx, gsx.... shouldn't have a problem going 10's with a good driver. Yea I know you meant car... But don't think they couldn't do it just no market for it. The current, note u didn't name price is a bugatti veyron damn german co. A S7 is right around there also turbocharged a damn ford design. Also there is a Koenigsegg CCX, ford mod engine with rotrex s/c. The SSC Ultimate Aero, there's a car with gm power and tt... get that one... 1 yr warranty too, not bad for over 1k hp.

SSC Aero

I wish we had tracks like the east coast ones over here. Those guys get DA's under sea level all the time. Most of the fast times for cars come from the PA area during the fall.

While the guy "Ranger" may be kind of a squid I'd listen to him before some retard kids being all "gansta" and "hard". At least you can understand what he is saying and he isn't trying to be something that he's not.
    02' EB Z06 pile of parts
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

Sold
    93'' Talon 2.4L 523whp/486wtq dyno queen
    (OG stock engine, b16g, afc 11.85@116 10 years ago)