1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50#

1 100.00%
  • 42#

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fuel injector question

fuel injector question

OK time has come to buy some injectors, i have to chose between two sets. both are the same price. they are going on a 3.4L DOHC pushin like 8-10 pounds of boost daily. when i get my new rods and pistons, i will be crankin the boost up. so which should i get. both are made for a mustang, but will work for my application.

Ford Motorsport 42# injectors, green top

MSD 50# injectors, PN 2013

usually id jus say bigger is better, but thats not always the case, so i figured id see what you'all have to say about it.
    -_-

IAF Team Member

Re: fuel injector question

What are you going to be tuning the car with? How much power are you going for?

Once again do not select things in referance to boost. Please Please stop using this concept. It annoys me very much.

-Trevor

ill only have an SAFCII, ill be paying someone to tune.

for now im going for 300-350 RWHP at 10psi.

sorry trevor, please excuse my ignorance. i want to understand this shit, but im more of a look and listen to learn, not so much read a bunch of stuff that goes completely over my head and try to get some useful info out of it. sadly, the only thing i am using to reference parts is by looking at what other people have used, finding out what there weak points are/where then trying to kinda get the best from each and put it all together. ive read tons and tons of info, but i dont really remember/comprehend much of it. i need to hang out with people who actually know what they're talking about and have actually built systems and such.
    -_-

Will my old stock injectors work, I dont know what your car is but heard they work great in some Honda's.

What is your stock injector size and HP?

i believe the stock flow rate is like 22.5 lb/hr
    and the engine is rated @ 220 BHP
    -_-

IAF Team Member

What kind of injectors does your car run? High/Low impendence? Peak and hold? Dsm Injectors might work but of course you will need 6 of them. Whatever you car has you will need to wire in resistors if you were to use the other type of injector.

WOW? i really have no frikkin idea, ill tell you the little bit i do know.

the short block is from a 1993 lumina Z34 (3.4L TDC, VIN X)
    the heads are P&Pd from the same car
    cam carriers are newer, better versions from 94-95 monte carlo (same engine)
    using 94-95 (monte) ECM and wiring harness

so i guess they are whatever the 91-95 lumina Z34, 94-95 mont, 91-93 cutlass, 91-93 GTP etc. i do know that most people use 42# mustang injectors without any resistors, but wether they are high/low im not sure.

WHERE THE HELL CAN I FIND THIS STUFF OUT AT????
    -_-

i'm pretty sure you can use the DSM's. Just need to measure the impedance of the stock injectors to find out if they are saturated (high) or peak & hold (low) type to know if you need resistors.

The reason i think you can use the DSM's, is i think mustang injectors fit Honda's, and so do DSM injectors.

I'd stay below 45lb/hr if you are only using an SAFC. You may run out of correction factor with anything larger (based off your stock injector size).

Have you actually heard of people running a resistor in series with a peak and hold injector to make it compatable with a saturated type ECM?

FYI: your factory ECU should be saturated - you need High impedance injectors which the 42# ford SVO injectors are compatable.