View Poll Results: should a new shop be opened near cr?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

5 62.50%
  • no

3 37.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so HMI is gone can i get a hell ya

As much of a pipe dream the whole idea of opening a shop sounds to me, it'd really be awesome if it got off the ground. As none of you know right now, I am going to school in the business field. This may or may not help me with whatever it is that I am going to do for a career, seeing as I have no idea what I'm going to be doing once I get out of school. And seeing as how I enjoy working on cars in my spare time, this whole shop idea sounds like it would be very nice.

And what Trent really needed was QUALITY CONTROL. You can't expect to succeed without it.
    95 Civic EX
    83 Nighthawk 550 w/ 650 swap
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

DJ has said it exactly.

The idea of starting a business before you actually have a full education and money in your pocket is nothing but a dream. It's a pleasant thought to be your own boss.

Stg4raddo, DJ, Krustin, and Drifte are all some of my best friends from high school. I'd do anything to help you guys out...and I hope you guys would return the favor.

As it seems, I'm the owner of a website based in Cedar Rapids that is gaining 60+ members per month. In fact, we're on pace to gain 90 members this month. Any car shop in Cedar Rapids that gets a contract with CR:U that would give certified CR:U members a discount at their shop would be putting themself in a position to gain quite a bit of business. (Not so much right now...but add 60 members per month for a few years (keep in mind that the members gained per month is rising) wer'e looking at a minimum of probably 2,500 CR:U members 3 years from today (if it's gaining a bare minimum of 60 members per month and never starts rising)

I'd really love to start getting CR:U members some discounts at some local shops.

yea i know about the perfect credit thing paid my raddo off in less than a year. on a 36 month loan

i am qualified for 3 ASE certs all ready just waiting to get the in feild training. i will have all the certs to be a master tech by next june :supz:

and having 4 owners is a good thing ever heard of limited liablity owners ship if the place fails its not all on one person.

also i would probly be dealing with more than 4 partners i have more people and places than u know. i am currently a distributor for usrt products and Upsolute chip tuning. i am currently looking into being a distributo for gaic chips and flash ecm tuning.

and about the CR:U member ship i am a moderator on VWvortex and many SCI affiliated forums due to personaly knowing the owner of sci.

so basicaly i know i am going to be opening a shop in around 5 years if not sooner depending on how working at a dealer ship is.

and we all should get together at the track some times breaking stuff is fun and two step is even cooler

limited liability is good....but like I mentioned in my post it also limits personal income so each owner is less-able to pay back a loan if the business goes under....and you gotta argue with Krustin all day about business decisions (just kidding Krustin)

Also, my basis for mentioning CR:U is that it's based in *cedar rapids*. What good is it to have connections in california, new york, florida, georgia, if you're starting a business in Cedar Rapids?

Like I said though. Whether or not there is another shop in Cedar Rapids when I get ready to start a business is really not a concern of mine. People say there's not enough base in CR for performance tuning but I think that's bull. CR just hasn't been able to trust a performance tuner yet. You start up a shop and start doing quality work and people will come to you.

And if there's 2 quality shops, that just means the interest will grow twice as fast. I honestly think 10 years from now there will be at least 5-10 performance shops in CR. Some big and some small. Just like muffler shops and general maintenance shops. Just nobody has caught on yet. People always want to start a shop in a place that has an existing interest, which is good to some extent, but when you start a performance shop in Chicago, you have competition up the yin-yang and the only way you're going to make true money is if you have gotten a big enough loan from the bank to be able to stick it out as other shops go out of business, therefor sending their few customers elsewhere.

lol....sorry about the long posts everyone. I've done a lot of studying and thinking about this topic.

Anyways Tyler I'm through arguing for tonight. If you wanna talk some more, go ahead and shoot me a PM or IM me on AIM...i'm always on.

Let me know when you're coming in town again too. I got your text message last time but I was already scheduled to work that day.

Zac