Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick's 98gt Build from slow to peppy

Cool build, looks like you have a pretty nice space to work in too.

Rearend comes out to get the 3.73 put in.

Carpet getting dyed black.......

The stock pile of parts is rising!!

More to Come!

~Nick~

Ah, I remember those days. Now I'm just excited to put gas in it and drive now and again. I'm assuming you're doing more to the rear end then just gears? I only ask because you pulled the whole rear end and you don't need to do that for a gear swap.
    93 Mustang Lx Coupe - Stroked 342

Quote Originally Posted by 93stang5oh View Post
    Ah, I remember those days. Now I'm just excited to put gas in it and drive now and again. I'm assuming you're doing more to the rear end then just gears? I only ask because you pulled the whole rear end and you don't need to do that for a gear swap.
    I am going to be cleaning and painting it black aswell / I also have aftermarket upper and lower control arms going back in so it was coming apart anyways.

~Nick~

Well gear install was a complete success. Everything went smootley. Backlash is in spec and everything looks good.

My K-memember/springs perches and MAC longtubes have arrived!

~Nick~

Fought the cold over the weekend and finished up the engine. All new gaskets installed pulleys installed and torqued to spec. Also got my longtubes put on. Next step is to start intalling all the new suspension.

As you can see in the pics we were doing some work on my budies 94 teal 5.0. Full bolton / TF head and cam kit.

~Nick~

I got the 8.8 installed and the upper and lower put on. Was able to clean up the trans aswell. Next step is to get my B-springs and new shocks in and will begin the tear down of the factory k-member and front suspension.

~Nick~

Made some more progress on the mustang this week. Finally finished off the rear of the car, got the breaks hooked back up with freshley turned rotors. Was able to tear down the front suspension and get my K-member installed along with the steering rack. I was very pleased with the fitment of this k-member... went on very easily. After romoving the stock A-arms it was evident that the ball joints needed replaced so they are off getting swapped out. Also finally finished up the interior. I so wish I had a before and after of this because it is a complete transformation lol.

My engine waiting patiently to go into its new home....

Got the load leveler haning out with my hoist. Going to installe the engine/longtubes/transmision and starter all at once so I figured the leveler will help me out a bit.

~Nick~

Got a bunch done this weekend. My COP conversion kit came in the mail so I went ahead and installed some new plugs and put the coil packs on. Finally got the engine up and off the stand and replaced the rear main seal and began assembling the clutch components.

Bolted up the transmission and then got the starter on. I actually did this with the headers installed to Im pretty confident I can get clutch swaps done when the motor is in the car with these longtubes.

Up the engine went. As you can see this is the motor + Tranny + longutbes + starter, all going in at once with the k-member bolted on the car. The process I used was a load leveler for my hoist, I lowered the nose of the car down just a bit and I had a jack underneith the car to assit the transmission if needed.

All I gotta say is that I am very pleased so far with how well everything fits. I'm using a UPR K-member with Blue Oval Industries solid motor mounts and MAC longtube headers. If I had to complain about anything it took us awhile to figure out how the steering shaft was supposed to go but we figured it out and got it all bolted in.

Got the garage all cleaned up. Next step is to clean up the wiring harnnes and start getting everything plugged in.

~Nick~

Very nice!

I will agree it is a bit of a pain the way the steering shaft slides over like it does. I remember when I helped a friend do long tubes on a 98 we had hell getting that thing back on. But we were already pretty damned frustrated, worst car I have ever done long tubes on. Be glad you were able to do them while the drivetrain was out!