Thread: Beware of Auto Parts Network

Beware of Auto Parts Network

Just a heads up in case anyone uses "car-parts.com" as much as I do. I would stay away from Auto Parts Network in Indiana. I ordered a few parts for my Silverado, got the invoice filled out (which includes the price I am authorizing them to charge my credit card) and that was it. Until a couple days later when I noticed they charged my card a decent amount more than I authorized them to, based on the prices THEY gave me (and are posted on car-part.com) and the invoice I filled out based on the conversation and prices.

So, I called them as I assumed it was just a misunderstanding. The guy was a complete asshole, telling me I was "nickel and dimeing" him and "it's just a couple bucks" and shit like that. Basically just insulting me, being absurdly rude and telling me I shouldn't be complaining about them charging more than we discussed because it was still a good price and "they're already losing money on the deal". Yeah, I am "frugal", but it comes down to principal 9 times out of 10 with me. Not to mention We had an invoice that clearly said "I authorize Auto Parts Network to charge $xx.xx to my card on or after (date)". So, I am pretty sure it is also illegal for them to charge more than authorized. Legality aside, It seems like something they might do on a regular basis, based on the way they handled the situation.

If I was misquoted (which I couldn't have been as the prices are listed right on the website) and got a phone call or something, it wouldn't have been a big deal. Or if there was a legitimate reason (such as shipping charges due to an oversized package) I may have been a little more understanding. That was not the case though. They had NO reason for charging me almost 50% more than we agreed on and basically just kept insulting me and telling me "it's just a few bucks, still a good deal", "if you're too cheap", "we're losing money already" etc...

Yeah, anyways. Just thought I would give a heads up. I use the site VERY often, nearly every day as I am always "the guy" when people need parts and I get them for WAY less than you can locally. Such as the ECM I had to get for my CTS, $600+ locally, got one off there for $60. Transmission for my Silverado was $1500+ locally, got it for $600 with under 70K miles (local ones had 180k+), etc... This is the ONLY time I have ever had an issue. Literally hundreds of transactions over the last couple years, first (and obviously last) time dealing with this particular salvage yard. They did finally say "we'll take care of it" and hung up on me (for the third time, but that's another story) which I assume to mean they are going to refund me the extra charges but, we'll see.

good to know. i like using that site also

Figured I would update, they did end up refunding me. Still won't deal with them again just based on the disrespect and the fact that they couldn't come up with any reason for the extra charges. If I hadn't been the victim of fraud a couple months ago, I wouldn't check my bank accounts regularly and would have never known they did what they did. Just makes me wonder how many other people have gotten ripped off by these guys.