Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My $100 CB750 Bobber build

Well, I got my headlight taken care of. This is the kind of thing I love, I couldn't find anything like I was looking for at junkyards or anything. I was mowing, hit something and BOOM, there it is, exactly what I have been looking for!! Used some 3M panel adhesive and glued it to the stock projector glass retaining ring. Still gotta finish it up and paint it to match but I am pretty happy with it!

Also got my tail/brake lights today, ditched the ugly ass chrome, obviously and got them put on. They fit PERFECTLY in the old fender support holes on the swing arm, coulsn't have made them fit any better if I tried.

and the pretty exhaust all coated, wrapped and coated again. Only complaint is that the one header, I couldn't fit the wrap between the pipes so I had to wrap the together for part of the way. Doesn't look too bad but not exactly as good as I was hoping. the other one is pretty much perfect though.

Tomorrow should have the bike standing on it's own again, I've got the shock mounts made up and Champion Chassis (next to Sperry's) is making me some UHMV bushings which I am picking up tomorrow. Got my new levers, grips, carb jets, cables and some other stuff on the way so next week it should be running/driving if all goes well. Gotta get the front tire put on and rim painted to match the rear too. It's not completely done, I have a nice cherry metallic top coat to go over that red base coat on the rear wheel, should look pretty sick when they're done. I also picked up a KTM MX500 today so, that'll probably distract me a little bit.

This thread really makes me want to get to work on my XS650! Looking good and you work quick!
    "U guys are a bunch of pathetic fucks Ryan your the worst" -Eddy B
    "no one gives two shits if he built it or purchased it.. or if it was purchased by his dad. you just sound like a jealous bitch. move along" -k-ville
    "I think the S4 is the best car I've ever owned" -slow ride

Thanks man! I'd be done by now if it weren't for waiting/modifying parts. Nothing I like wants to work with each other! Like the gas tank, no regular tank would fit so I had to modify those side bars and extend the main neck. The risers, I had to have the triple tree top welded/filled and then milled to accept the risers I wanted to use. Then I got the 1" handle bars I wanted as well but the brake/clutch controls I like are all for 7/8" so I have to modify them a bit to work as well. stuff like that keeps taking a little time here and there.

I ran into another bump today. I got the suspension all done but I can completely compress the shock just by pushing down on the bike with my arm. it's a GSXR1K shock with a factory spring rate of 450lbs. Even with everything adjusted as stiff as I could, I can bottom it out by hand. I managed to find an Eibach spring that has the same inner diameter but is 1" longer and has a spring rate of 1000lbs. I'm gonna swap that out and see how it works. I figured this would be an issue as I was just taking a shot in the dark. Got the coilover setup for next to nothing and the other spring is only $30, so I can't complain too much. I picked up a KTM 500cc 2-stroke dirt bike I am playing with a bit now and I got the new lower unit for my boat finally too so progress will probably slow up a little bit. I am still planning to have it on the rode in the next couple weeks though. Other than the shock, I've just got little things to button up.

Id kill for a cb and some spoked wheels. I wrapped up my projects for the summer, I guess its time for something new...

to get irritated with this damn thing! I understand why everyone takes the easy way out and just makes a hardtail. I got a 1300lb coil spring and have it preloaded pretty much all I can and it still isn't enough. I guess it is due to the shock mounting location, being that close to the swing arm pivot, I knew I would need a stronger spring but holy shit, factory spring was like 400lb/in, more than triple that now and I still need more. I need like 1800lb-2000lb, which I have yet to find in a 2.25" i.d., 7"-9" length spring.

Ended up moving the upper shock mount. rearward about 2", took care of the issue. Shock/spring still seems a little soft to me but I'll have to take a ride to know for sure.

I've often thought of copying my mountainbike rear suspension if I did a single rear shock build for an older bike. Keeping the spring rate down being the goal and extending the lift of the shock. If I snagged an 06+ R6r rear shock with the bracket it would be easier to do by a lot in comparison. Looks like yours is coming together