Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My $100 CB750 Bobber build

My $100 CB750 Bobber build

Picked up a 1980 CB750 for $100. Runs, drives and has a clean title for once. Got it cheap because, well, it was UGLY and the guy lived in an apartment and had no way to fix it up. Had a couple little issues, throttle was hooked up backwards, carbs needed synced and again, it was ugly as sin...

Got it to the garage and stripped all the body panels off it, pretty sure they weren't even CB panels. They were all just held on by wire and zip ties. Gas tank had the front bolt through it but teh rear wasn't even close to lining up. Anyways, naked...

free picture upload

Hacked all the rear shit off I won't be using. I WILL be keeping it a softail, not just welding it solid like 99% of the CB Bobbers are. I picked up a nice GSXR1K shock I plan to use on it. Nice adjustable coilover setup and adjustable nitrogen shock, eBay for $15 shipped, can't complain. ;-)

Last edited by sLoWnStEaDy; 06-17-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Picked up a gas tank and quickly found out no regular tank would work, so I got to changing that today. I Grabbed some 1-1/2" to extend the main frame neck and then cut the side bars, turned them down and welded them back up. I got a bunch of random chunks while I was getting scrap so I have some nice slugs inside all the tubes I welded. Also drilled about 8-10 holes and plug welded everything I redid, should be better off than it was from the factory.

Here you can just see the main neck that I extended, didn't cut it yet as I am not sure what I want to do back there. I was planning to use a front mounted, leaf spring style seat but as it is a softail still, I don't think I'll need a seat shock too. So, I am thinking about just hacking that off about 12" long and mounting the seat directly to that. Have to figure out a way to make it "pretty" though if I do that.

Then, I cut the side bars off...

I turned them down about 90* so instead of going up and running with the main beam, the come out to the sides now. I actually really like the way it turned out, looks much better in person. Could have kept them closer to the tank but I wanted to leave the option for other tanks, this one is 3.3 gallon.

Up next will be slightly modifying the swing arm and getting that shock mounted. After that, just a matter of body work, paint and bolting it back together. handlebars are KST Kustoms, 16" Mayhems.

Exhaust will be the same as pictured above. I media blasted it up at a buddies shop, coated them with 2k* paint and will be wrapping them with black heat wrap simply because I think that shit is SEXY. Bike is going to be satin black with some gloss black accents and a tiny bit of chrome, REALLY tiny bit...
    Last edited by sLoWnStEaDy; 06-17-2014 at 06:08 PM.

looks like a steal for $100

made a little more progress today. Got the harness all stripped down to only what I must have, headlight, taillight and ignition. Won't be running turn signals or any of the dummy lights, horn, etc... Still have to make it look a little nicer on the bike but it's all there and functional. Got the hidden ignition and push button start on as well, really stoked with how those came out but I can't show em as they are "hidden" for a reason. ;-) Also got the shock mounted up to the swing arm, haven't got the top mount done yet but that will be next.

The last "major" thing to do is figure out exactly how I am going to mount the headlight. I got a pair of projector/angel eye, ricer style headlights for an accord from the swap meet for $20/ Hacked em apart and kept the 4 angel eyes as well as the 2 90mm projectors. Hoping to hit the junkyard at some point and maybe get lucky there. I want to keep it in an old school, tear drop style headlight housing but I have yet to find one in decent shape.

well, I got to spend some time in the hospital recently so I haven't made a lot of progress. Finally about off the steroids and everything they have been pumping me full of and am getting back to feeling normal. So, of course, I went to the garage and almost killed myself. LOL

Didn't do too much, I just shaved the triple tree upper a good bit. Doesn't sound like much but I did it with a hack saw and a hand file. If you see the before/after pics, you can probably imagine it was a bit of a pain in the ass. Nothing feels better to me than doing shit old school though!!

Sadly, I have yet to justify buying a TIG welder, or a spool gun so I can't do aluminum welding. therefore, I gotta take that upper in somewhere and have it welded up. Those cast in risers are hollow and need to go away so I need the bottom side filled in so I can shave it down and do what I want to. Hoping I can get it done tomorrow quickly because my seat and my risers will be in. That would allow me to get final positioning on everything like that figured out.

Stuck on the seat mounting at the moment... -_-

Headers wrapped... Once they're dry, I'll spray em again, after reading a ton, I've decided to use header paint on the outside rather than the silicone stuff. Seems everyone has much better results with a couple coats of paint than the silicone.