Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: R3DN3CK Blazer

probably won't keep doin these little/meaningless updates, LOL... Haven't gotten much work done yet, I have friday off, hoping I can get at it a little bit this weekend! The person I let move in to watch over the house while I work out of state decided to run off and cost me a bunch of money so I spent the week filing reports, getting his junk out of my house and other BS. I did "make" up some paint for my axles and shit. I had a bunch of random left over paints, metallic silver, black onyx, dark red metallic, etc, just decided to mix it all together and ended up with an "interesting" color. prematurely painted the rear axle as I wanted to see what it looks like. Just have to weld the spring perches on so it's not a big deal, grinder and a little touch-up afterwords.

pic taken in my garage, metallic looks crazy in the sun as there's some really fine flake and some more coarse flake. Not that it matters as they'll be under the vehicle.

I spend a good chunk of time researching. I'll be making a trip to the junkyard to get some leaf spring packs here shortly. Hoping to have the axles under it and have it "rolling" toward the end of this month as long as I have a bit of time to work on it. In all honesty, once I have the leafs together and 220v done for my welder, it should only take a weekend to get it rolling.
    Last edited by sLoWnStEaDy; 04-09-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Obviously, I got side tracked for a while, finally back at it though. Got the front end all yanked out is all so far.
    -_-

Oh, I ditched the D44 front too and ended up grabbing a D60 instead. Figured 300hp+ and 37"s would kill that 44 pretty quick so, no point in wasting time/money on it. I've got some steel cut up and waiting for me to make the front spring hanger mounts and everything though.
    -_-

Little more work done, been getting off work around 5-6 (instead of 3:30 like usual) so I usually only spend a couple hours in the garage a night. Got the gas tank pulled out (going to run a fuel cell where the spare use to mount up under the back), the stubs for the front leaf springs cut/welded up, cross bar for the front cut but I ran out of wire before I could weld it. Spent a solid hour fighting the damn rear leaf springs as the bolts are seized into the bushing. I'm pretty stoked otherwise though! This thing is coming apart VERY nicely!! Being 20 years old, I was expecting a lot of torching and breaker bars but, not yet...

I'm horrible at pictures because, well, I'm working on the damn thing! LoL front stubs got a full perimeter weld as well as four dime size plug welds on the bottom and a half dollar sized plug on each side. Factory holes in the frame rails up there, figured I might as well use them. Picture was just tacked and top bead, got triple passes all around after. Probably not 100% necessary but, too much is better than not enough. ^_^
    -_-

Looks like a fun project

Got the spring mount pretty much done. Gotta drill the holes still, obviously and throw some gussets on for good measure...

-_-

Got the rear end tore apart and ready for the disc brake conversion when the parts show up. I'm guessing those brakes prooooooobably weren't any good. HaHa

-_-

front bumper trimmed to fit and just sitting in place. Planning to keep it as "stock" as possible body wise. Will be adding ZR2 fender flares.
    -_-

IMAG0290.jpg

with those red magnetic squares, i discovered my tig welder does not like welding close to magnetic fields. as long as your an inch or two away its fine. probably applies to most tig welders

Yeah, I found that out pretty quick myself! HaHa. Just put em on, tack em up good, remove them and then run beads.
    -_-