Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internet Service Provider, whos got what/rant

Feel fortunate you do not live in small town Iowa where your only two options are Windstream (formerly known as Iowatelecom) and Mediacom. Of course there's the option of satellite internet but that's really not an option. The upload speed from Windstream is plain @ss slow, the download speed (12mb) I can deal with.
    93 Mustang Lx Coupe - Stroked 342

Mediacom is a JOKE!! almost as bad as US Cellular these days!

I just recently got Century Link, only had it for about 5-6 weeks but no issues yet. I'm paying $39.95/mo for 14M. That's a 12 month price, then I believe it goes up like $10/mo or something along those lines.

Attachment 1710
    Last edited by sLoWnStEaDy; 02-27-2014 at 03:44 PM.

colton, is that $79 a month for internet and cable ? they like to suck ya in with artificially low rates. did that to us too but they told us rates were going to be higher the 2nd year and there was no cancellation fee. so we cancelled after the first year. but $79 for cable and internet seems like a normal price

you could look into cellular internet, the speeds are good but the data limits might be the deal breaker. my up and down 4g speed is great with us cellular

Here is a tip. When I moved to Des Moines from CR I tried to transfer my service with mediacom. Come to find out that they will not transfer service that far away. They disconnected me with no fee and was able to start up in Des Moines with what ever provider I wanted. You could try that and see if it works.
    Family car racing.

F you guys I can only get century link 1.5mbps DSL in my area. Thinking about a 4glte hotspot, but the data limits and cost don't seem very good. Waiting (for the last 4 years) for fiber optic to be run for a dsl speed increase.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

My rate Ryan is internet only. I may have to try telling them I'm moving somewhere further away than they can transfer.

LOL, arguing about internet rates. There is a clause in just about every utility style contact that although you have a 'set price', all prices are subject to changed based on demand, infrastructure, and technology changes without recourse. I have yet to see one that doesn't.

If that pisses you off, there is a movement right now to have your home limited just like your cell phone with data usage. If the Comcast-TimeWarner merger goes through, it'll be sooner rather than later.

Just another sprayed LS1...
    RIP: 1997 WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SledgeWS6 View Post
    LOL, arguing about internet rates. There is a clause in just about every utility style contact that although you have a 'set price', all prices are subject to changed based on demand, infrastructure, and technology changes without recourse. I have yet to see one that doesn't.

If that pisses you off, there is a movement right now to have your home limited just like your cell phone with data usage. If the Comcast-TimeWarner merger goes through, it'll be sooner rather than later.
    Well sure I have to do something, I was in a no contract setup. But they claim Im in a contract. Now its a matter of finding who has the best rates. I dont want a data cap as Im constantly streaming something. No cable tv, just Netflix, youtube, hulu, pandora, slacker, itunes, xbox etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifte View Post
    My rate Ryan is internet only. I may have to try telling them I'm moving somewhere further away than they can transfer.
    that is pricey for internet only. i had mediacom for many years and it was mostly around $50 a month for the mid level plan which started off at 10Mbps but over the years creeped up to 20Mbps

fortunately, south slope installed fiber all over north liberty a couple years ago and maybe solon area too. $55 a month

fiber

what impressed me most was us cellular 4g is getting putting down some good numbers

I dropped Mediacom in Des Moines because they are clueless and a bunch of morons. Service sucked, our HD cable never worked right either. Only good thing about dropping them is that we continued to get cable for another 6 months, lol. They just figured it out though and turned it off. Oh well, we are moving in a month.

I have Century Link for internet now. Pay $33 a month for the highest speed I can get in my area and it has worked flawlessly.
    2001 Z28 1SC - Bolt-ons