Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Service Provider, whos got what/rant

Internet Service Provider, whos got what/rant

So Im currently in a battle with mediacom. This years service has been sketchy at best, rarely holding a good enough connection to stream videos. Checked my bill which..even more interesting is fluctuating.

My "contract" started in March 2013. It was a no contract offer of $49 a month. Heres my last billing statement:

Statement Date: Feb 25, 2014
    Statement Amount: $79.92
    Payment Due: AUTOPAY

So I called, one guy said thats my payment for march 5 to April 5 or something. And that Im in a 2 year contract, second year is $79 a month, no way out except $120 termination fee. No other pricing options.

Other lady at mediacom says my first year rate of no contract ended, so the bill will go up as much as $25 a month every month until I cancel.

So clearly something is messed up, I intend to get it canceled and pay nothing immediately. But really, whats my other option? Im in CR, I see "ImOn" trucks around.

What does everyone else use, and hows the rates, service and speed/stability? I was on mediacoms prime 15mbp which is significantly slower than my 4g lte.

IAF Team Member
    Mediacom pulled that same shit with me. Said I was in a two year conract. Im riding it out right now until I can figure out who I want to go to.

My internet and cable goes out randomly and everytime I call they say idk whats wrong, nothing on our end.
    '11 Jeep JKU
    '13 Taurus SHO

Ok so Im not the only one. Im certain my setup was no contract, because the day of hook up they kept reminding me that I could also cancel at anytime without a termination fee. Which made me curious a bit why they felt the need to pound that into my head.

IAF Team Member
    Yeah I signed nothing when the installer hooked up my service and he told me I had no contact. Then when I went to cancel they tried to charge me $200.
    '11 Jeep JKU
    '13 Taurus SHO

Hook up with ImOn. They have a solid crew over there.

I had Mediacom a few years ago and started logging every outage that I was aware of. They ended up reimbursing me for a couple months and then repaired the issues out to my area. After that our speeds were really good and no outages.

Switched over to ImOn when I bought my other house and have never had to go through those extents. Hardly ever ran into service outages.

Heres the listed prices for ImOn. Not great IMO.

Freedom 5.0 - $52.00
    5M download/768K upload
    Freedom 15 - $62.00
    15M download/1M upload
    Freedom 25 - $72.00
    25M download/2M upload
    Freedom 65 - $92.00
    65M download/3M upload
    Freedom 110 (available in Fiber to the Home areas only) - $109.98
    110M download / 10M upload

Quote Originally Posted by Drifte View Post
    So Im currently in a battle with mediacom. This years service has been sketchy at best, rarely holding a good enough connection to stream videos. Checked my bill which..even more interesting is fluctuating.

My "contract" started in March 2013. It was a no contract offer of $49 a month. Heres my last billing statement:

Statement Date: Feb 25, 2014
    Statement Amount: $79.92
    Payment Due: AUTOPAY

So I called, one guy said thats my payment for march 5 to April 5 or something. And that Im in a 2 year contract, second year is $79 a month, no way out except $120 termination fee. No other pricing options.

Other lady at mediacom says my first year rate of no contract ended, so the bill will go up as much as $25 a month every month until I cancel.

So clearly something is messed up, I intend to get it canceled and pay nothing immediately. But really, whats my other option? Im in CR, I see "ImOn" trucks around.

What does everyone else use, and hows the rates, service and speed/stability? I was on mediacoms prime 15mbp which is significantly slower than my 4g lte.
    Exact same fucking thing happened to me in Cedar Falls.
    Considering we were getting 25d/2u - we just switched to CFU up here for 30d/15u for $62/mo. Obviously not an option for you down there, but just saying mediacom can suck a fat one.

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
    1994 Eagle Talon ES
    2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R

I have IMON, after threatening to cancel AGAIN I got a deal with internet only "cuz fuck cable" and its dirt cheap around 30/month for middle of the road speed but it runs HD netflix and stuff. They CAN make it cheaper for you just whether or not they are willing to do it, otherwise you will be money ahead to just cancel, pay fee's and switch providers

Hopefully I get it straightened out quickly, and whoever does setup my next internet service, gets rid of the 20' co-ax mediacom left hanging from the powerline in front of my house
    Last edited by Drifte; 02-27-2014 at 03:16 PM.

For the Des Moines area I have had issues with Mediacom and Qwest/Century Link. Had mediacom, we had cable/internet no longer wanted cable and they would not lower my payment. So I cancelled. Now with qwest and they are piss slow dsl and are charging $50 a month. My verizon 4g is 10 times faster.

Any Des Moines guys use anyone other than qwest/mediacom?
    96' 2.4 Neon
    05' Srt-4