Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RedRocket's winter changes

Well, got the car on the dyno this weekend for some tuning via Ryan Mitchell (MaxxMitchell). He came up on Saturday to tune a few other local cars as well. Anyway, the final numbers were 727 rwhp on 18-19 lbs. with the converter unlocked. The torque on this run showed 696 but I know that wasn't right. There was a spike on the dyno graph. Not sure if it lost signal for a second during the run or what.

Although I know not to base anything off of dyno numbers, I can't help but to say I was a little disappointed. I figured it would make 750+ pretty easily with this turbo, as well did Ryan. He said that the converter is way too loose now though. I was sitting in the car when it was on the dyno and the converter would flash to 5600 and obviously hold there forever until it got caught up to. I assume this could play a huge factor in actual dyno numbers. I was pretty upset when it made only a little more power on lower boost numbers as it did with the Turbonetics 7875. The good news is that it keeps making power all the way to 6 grand when he let off. It will keep climbing past that for sure, which I am sure would have helped the HP numbers, but he didn't want to push it too hard. I will pull it to 6400 or so at the track though, where it matters most. No more dropping power off at 5500 though! I knew the converter was loose last year but it ran well for what it was. This year I put more power to it, dropped to a 3.00 gear as well, so it has to be slipping more.

Anyway, I am going to run it at the track and see what it does. If it doesn't produce the times I think it should, then I will send the converter out to get it tightened up. Anyone have any thoughts on the whole deal? It absolutely rips on the street though. It will bust the Mickey's loose from a roll very easily. Easier than it did before for sure. I am also happy that the bottom end is still together!

I have a buddy who got a video of the dyno runs I will get posted when he sends them.

Here's a quick run that Ryan did with Jordan (Sharpie). I wanted to run Jordan from a dig as well but the party got broken up after this run. We did do a couple of pulls on the interstate though and I was impressed with the outcome. We both spun on the hit pretty good. I will let him chime in with his thoughts if he wishes. It was over too quick for me to make any real judgment on the outcome. We both have a bit more boost to throw at the cars.

2001 Z28 1SC - Bolt-ons

can't wait to hear what she does at the track. what dyno did you go to?

Central Imports dyno. Same one Phish was on Saturday.
    2001 Z28 1SC - Bolt-ons

Is Jordan's car an auto now?

I know it isn't what you wanted but mid 700s is stupid impressive. It seems like every year the v8 crowd gains a 100whp.
    The car was super fast last year and I am sure it will be even more fun this year. Congrats Andy!
    96' 2.4 Neon
    05' Srt-4

Just remember an unlocked auto dyno is nothing like a manual either. The converter and trans will sap the peak power number, but the average power will be huge.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

That was a killer spot for races also, sucks that the 5.0 were at the end of the dead end, haha. It looked like your car moved out pretty hard from a roll, cant wait to see it at the track this year!
    03 Cobra - Built Aluminator, 2.9L Whipple, E85 - 10.33 @ 137.4

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    Is Jordan's car an auto now?

I know it isn't what you wanted but mid 700s is stupid impressive. It seems like every year the v8 crowd gains a 100whp.
    The car was super fast last year and I am sure it will be even more fun this year. Congrats Andy!
    Yep, his in an auto. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by slow ride View Post
    Just remember an unlocked auto dyno is nothing like a manual either. The converter and trans will sap the peak power number, but the average power will be huge.
    Yeah, I realize that as well. Hopefully it runs well at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaGT View Post
    That was a killer spot for races also, sucks that the 5.0 were at the end of the dead end, haha. It looked like your car moved out pretty hard from a roll, cant wait to see it at the track this year!
    Thanks, Lance. It does move pretty good from a roll for sure.
    2001 Z28 1SC - Bolt-ons