Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RedRocket's winter changes

RedRocket's winter changes

Figured I would post up some of the changes going the car is going through this year. I just copied it over from a thread I have on another forum. Most of you have seen all this, but oh well!

I am in the process of changing some things up on the car. The first kit was built by a buddy with a harbor freight welder. It started with a SBE '03 LQ4, JY 4L80E with HD-2, Speed Inc. TU1 cam, on3 76mm turbo, and a 2.73 10 bolt. It put down 606/570 on 14 lbs. with the on3 turbo.

Power dropped off pretty hard after 5500 rpm, which was expected, and I wanted to upgrade things a little more. Did some suspension mods, ran -8 feed for fuel system, 127# injectors, Holley rails, FPR, and switched to a new Turbonetics 7875 turbo. This really woke things up and the car made 677 rwhp on 16 lbs. I was happy with it and drove it like that last summer. Had it to the track a few times and was really impressed with how it ran. With the 10 bolt, through the full exhaust, and on 11 lbs. it went 10.6 @ 136.

I borrowed a buddies 9 inch with 3.25's in it and took it to a local 1/8 mile track and went 6.50 @ 112 on 14-15 lbs.

Went to a 1/4 mile track last fall and ran a 9.92 @ 140 on the same 14-15 lbs. and ran a best of 142 mph on 16 lbs. Should have went faster but blew the charge pipe off on my last run when it was on 18-19 lbs. and cut my best 60' of 1.48. I don't like to speculate a whole lot but I imagine it would have ran a 9.6-9.7 or so @ 144-145. The run felt great until the charge pipe mishap. I thought the motor let go.

On to this years changes. I got a S480 in the 92mm 1.10 a/r T6 flavor and a custom cam which is a 225/231 .621/.598 113+6. Also making a few other changes. Bigger trans cooler, Boost leash controller, battery relocation, my own 9" with either a 3.00 or 3.25 gear, and a few other things I am probably forgetting. Still going to rock the SBE LQ4 but have a 05+ 5.3 waiting to go in when this lets go. Hoping to make a few passes this year before she shit's the bed, but we will see.

A few pics of the hotside...

Need to start working on the downpipe and getting it routed through the k-member. Comments, suggestions and questions are welcome. I am hoping she picks up a decent amount of power over the old setup and gets me close to the 150's for trap speed.
    2001 Z28 1SC - Bolt-ons

New turbo looks great andy. I really like the list of new mods! Sounds like the car should run a lot harder.

-Matt
    1988 Toyota Supra: 2jz no shit.... har har.

How is the turbo braced? I don't see any sort of flex and it looks like it's mounted to the frame unless its just sitting there? Do you know what DCR is with that cam with the stock compression?
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

Quote Originally Posted by Newgen View Post
    New turbo looks great andy. I really like the list of new mods! Sounds like the car should run a lot harder.
    Thanks Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by slow ride View Post
    How is the turbo braced? I don't see any sort of flex and it looks like it's mounted to the frame unless its just sitting there? Do you know what DCR is with that cam with the stock compression?
    It's mounted to the frame. I have solid motor mounts. DCR appears to be 6.84:1. Not sure how accurate that is using an online calculator. The compression ratio is 9.56:1 with the LS9 gaskets.
    2001 Z28 1SC - Bolt-ons

good work. should pick up some decent power with that turbo upgrade. will be interesting to see how hard you can push the stock motor. hopefully she holds up for you. although if it does hold up for a long time, I will be a bit jealous since i spent the money to forge mine.

Lookin good...looking forward to a rematch this year..
    Tyler- 2000 ws6 -
    2011 IAF/DS rob palmer shootout runner up (ed cheated)
    2012 IAF/DS rob palmer shootout auto class winner
    2013 IAF/DS rob palmer shootout auto class runner up
    wannabe grudge racer

"Ur built LS made 144 and 122 to the wheels and made power to 8k, if u cant see the beauty in that then i dont know what to tell you cuz eveyone at the dyno loved it and was amazed at the numbers."

Thanks fellas. This turbo should make a lot more steam up top. According to the gentlemen that built the turbo it should be up almost 100 rwhp from the Turbonetics at the same boost level.
    2001 Z28 1SC - Bolt-ons

You still planning on using the same trans this year or are you upgrading sometime soon?

Same trans Phish. Hoping it will hold for the season.
    2001 Z28 1SC - Bolt-ons

Looks good man, that thing should really haul the mail next year!
    03 Cobra - Built Aluminator, 2.9L Whipple, E85 - 10.33 @ 137.4