Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Question

Quick Question

I'm working on putting a 5.3 LS engine into the nova. I was thinking about going carb for the simplicity. I for one am not good at wiring, nor do i care to learn how to do my harness. Just curious what other peoples thoughts are on the subject. EFI vs Carb, Pros and Cons, shout them out!

The car will be a weekend driver, with a mild cam and maybe a little bit of nitrous.
    Rob Palmer
    Rest in Peace buddy...

"I wish I could buy stuff for my car, but there's nothing else to buy...except a steering wheel." Ryan

Carb is always fun. It is simple and easy to maintain. MSD has a nice piece you can plug in to fire the coils in standalone mode.

Honestly though the EFI is so easy to get working its hardly worth passing up. You are already going to have to run an electric fuel pump and all that good stuff.

I'm using the MSD 6ls 6010 box been playing with the software it's prety stupid proof!
    if you were going to boost it efi if ur just looking for motor or spray carb is simple and easy and will make just as much hp if not more then efi. Assuming you have a properly set up and tuned carb.

post up your parts list and prices for the carb conversion vs efi.

-minor but I forgot you'd have to also buy a $50-75 e-fan controller without the factory computer
    -does you nova need a new fuel pump either way? is your pump internal?
    -need an aftermarket fpr either way?
    -can you easily convert the carb to e85 if you want to ?

You would need a carb manifold, msd, and carb , everything else u need reguardless. Why does he need e85 for a simple cam only set up?

Because Ryan thinks everything should be on e-85

I agree weigh your options with a list

Just throwing it out there if you want to run carb for now size your lines and set your tank up for efi now and when and if your ever ready it would be that much easier for the conversion, and you can always sell your carb manifold or have it modified to accept injectors.

Plus in my opinion it would be something a little different to see a Carb'd setup on an LS motor at cruise night, and they just have a little different sound to them and your not as limited much to cam profiles if you didn't care about efi

Not that its a huge deal with availability in the aftermarket what trans are you going to run? Are you going to need a mechanical speedo drive?

Do you have a wiring harness and computer?

Whats your plan for the car in 2 or 5 years as far as power adder?

How much MPG are you going to really gain going efi? vs. just spending an extra few dollars for gas
    Last edited by 8204Cobra; 01-23-2014 at 09:18 PM.

the car currrently has a th350 trans. i do have a harness and computer.

in the next couple years, i cant forsee any big changes happening to the car. unless of course i win the lottery. I would probably be happy with it with a cam and a little nitrous, maybe build the motor and get a better rear end. but nothing to crazy
    Rob Palmer
    Rest in Peace buddy...

"I wish I could buy stuff for my car, but there's nothing else to buy...except a steering wheel." Ryan

Everything is easier with a carb IMO, specially if you start having issues. If for whatever reason you want to run E85 they make carb's for that same price as a gasoline, methanol, E98, whatever or you can convert your existing one. I think they look a hell of alot cooler, better flowing intake system, put whatever heads, cam, exhaust you want on it whenever you want and tell the laptop to screw off, dont worry about "running out of fuel" and having to buy new injectors.

The 347 my dad built and put in his 65 has a out of box stock prosystems carb and that thing runs better and has better throttle response than most EFI cars of the same caliber I have driven.

Or be a girl and put EFI on it so you can brag about how good it starts in the winter time without touching the gas pedal

I'd say carb. It suits that car, and you guys never drive it, and certainly not in the winter. Although EFI in that would be kinda cool. Sounds like the type of car you throw a cam in for the sound, but need the hp for burnouts after car shows too.

Leave the carbs in the trash can where they belong.