Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New DD, poor decision

New DD, poor decision

Decided that having a reliable daily driver with no issues that I drive every other weekend between Burlington and Cedar Falls was boring.
    I enjoy wasting money and time so I sold my wonderful mazda (at over $1000 profit because I'm a jew) and picked this thing up. God help me.

Was a really fun trip - 8 hours total through a snow storm in a 2WD diesel with shit rear tires. Any time the trans would kick down it'd get us sideways on the highway taking it easy at 50mph. Still we faired better than many a car and SUV we kept seeing in ditches/on the median. Still, not a trip I'd do again if I knew it was going to get so bad.

Anyway here is the new toy. 94 TSi AWD. Fresh 6bolt. Stock bottom end. Fresh head with 272 cams and springs and arp headstuds.
    2g maf, 2g exhaust manifold. 950cc injectors, 255 fuel pump ,dsmlink v2.5, medium sized FMIC, 1g bov, stock trans, act 2600, evo3 16g.
    All in all, a very very simple build and exactly what I was wanting. Will get a few changes when I sell one of my bikes and have some extra money but in a general idea the build isn't changing much. Just hope to be able to have a little fun with a car again. Will probably buy another cheap beater with a heater when I get rid of a bike as well. Obviously long term I'd really like to make it quick some day but I don't want to get my hopes up, knowing me I'll end up running into money or something what with school and all and end up posting it for sale and hating myself for selling it like I've done with the last 2 DSM's I liked. Heres to hoping this one sticks around.

Anyways, car runs and drives great. Motor checked out awesome on a compression test. However does have an idle surge issue and needs tuned. So planning to do a boost leak test and sort out the idle issue and then try to do some tuning on it if I haven't gotten too rusty with DSMLink.

washed it when I got home, probably going to freeze but wanted to get all the salt off it the truck threw onto it

Attached Images Attached Images

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
    1994 Eagle Talon ES
    2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R

Nice looking DSM!

Should be pretty quick with those mods.

thanks, she's definitely a clean one. Exterior is near perfect, interior just needs cleaning. Though driver side leather seat has some wear, I might try to find a replacement in the summer.

It's completely untuned and running on stock boost, so around 12lbs. Leaving it on stock boost until April.
    I mainly just want to get a tial 38mm wastegate on it, upgrade to dsmlink v3, and maybe some evo 8 wheels or stock 2g GST wheels. But that stuff can all wait, my focus is just for it to get me through a school semester first or until I can sell a bike.

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
    1994 Eagle Talon ES
    2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM

it's a 11 second car on race gas or e85. I'd want power steering back on it at least. How much was it?
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

Cool deal, idle surge should be an easy fix. Looks ready for e85

Im still a lover nice car man
    Andy Fangman
    F1X Procharged LS1 Foxbody Mustang
    4.86 147mph
    http://www.youtube.com/user/skipdownstairs

power steering probably wont go back on it, at least no plans for it right now.
    My first AWD talon was Colton's and it had no power steering and I grew to like the extra space and after awhile I preferred the no power steering compared to how floaty 1g power steering has always felt to me. I might just try to get a manual rack for it at the most.

Car certainly has potential to be quick as it is but I like to have plenty of breathing room especially if I'm trying to keep it a somewhat solid DD.

I gave $3500 for it. A fair deal - I mostly wanted it for its body. Though I do have the aforementioned issues to work out and then today I also believe I see it has a charging system issue. I'm hoping it's just battery but based on how it's acting I'm suspicious of the alternator. Also the battery is a rear mount setup which is completely janky. It's just sitting loose. I need to find a battery box for it and rig up a solid setup for it, come summer I'll probably put it back up front.

Also I didn't even realize until halfway home looking back at the car on the trailer it has no wipers. No motor, no wiper arms, etc. I found it all in the bottom of the parts box. I'm not even sure if I have all the screws and stuff for it or not. I never imagined I'd have to put wiper arms/motor back in and I can't come up with a diagram or anything to save my life. I definitely need to get them back on with this weather we've been having. Wish I knew how they came out so I knew how to get them back in or at least had a buddy with a 1g around to look at.

Just hoping I can get everything ironed out before I go back to Cedar Falls on the 10th because as of now it's not really suited to be daily driven. REALLY needs tuned but I need to get the idled sorted and I swear it has to have some serious boost/vacuum leaks going on. I wouldn't be so worried about fixing everything if it wasn't so damn cold. I can barely spend a few minutes in my garage just to put plates on it. Our shop is heated but john & brads cars are in it and I guess they aren't able to be rolled so I'm stuck in my garage. Hoping we get a couple warmer days here that I can really tackle it.
    For now just going to see if I need a new battery or alternator and see if maybe I have a bad ISC motor or something causing my idle. Speaking of which here's a video of it, ignore the eminem cd previous owner left for me haha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ1Ugim901w

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
    1994 Eagle Talon ES
    2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM

TB shaft seals leak and so does the BISS o-ring. It's probably the ISC which you can sometimes make one good one out of two bad ones if you combine the two working coils. It could also be the FIAV wax pellet type deal in the lower TB housing that has coolant run through it. Cars are getting old so lots of crap to deal with. I'd make sure the TB has coolant running to it as I always had weird idle on my cars when I tried to bypass the TB.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

nice. i like the color. can you do us a favor and break george's 11.2ish ??? dsm record. he keeps holding that over our heads

you going to sponser me? Give me ~$3k and I'll get on that haha.
    Maybe someday. Hopefully I'll have it long enough, my biggest fear is I end up forced into selling it due to finances with school or something like what happened with my TA. The main reason I'm trying to not dump money into it until I'm feeling more comfortable financially.

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
    1994 Eagle Talon ES
    2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM