Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: work out supplements

work out supplements

I know a few of you guys on here lift and/or do the cross fit and tuff mudder style events.

Whats the latest trends out there for diet and supplements? I'm just doing whey protein and some fish oil. Did creatine back in the day and was thinking about getting it again. I'm getting old and need some more energy and strength for these college kids in my jiu jitsu classes.

So many options, Im not sure where to begin. Are you lifting again or is this for energy and recovery from training jujitsu?

I supplemented heavy for a year and it paid off, but my surgery knocked me back to day one strength/size and weight (liquid diet, week long catabolic, 11lbs gone and more). About to get back into it heavy, and water intake is key. If you dont mind pills, I used Animal Paks joint supplements with good results, as well as their general building package. Thats nearing 20 pills, plus you'll want your fish oil still. Pre work out powders vary with each person, I dont take them often. Save it usually for a long saturday morning workout.

A lot of good products and prices on bodybuilding.com. Sounds like a lot of work, but really once you get a groove of what works and figure out how and when to take them its nice. I rely a lot on Gold Standard Whey Isolate, and am trying out Muscle Pharms combat powder (whey/casein) but it doesnt mix well.

What has worked wonders for me personally are pre-workout drinks and post-workout drinks. Pre-workout, I take Mass Pump XXL by Powerlab Nutrition which has creatine in it as well as caffeine. It definitely gets you going, and pumped up for your workout. Your muscles swell up and make you feel great! After workout, I take Cellmass by BSN nutrition. Whatever you do, if you are going to purchase supplements, MAKE SURE the company you are buying from is reputable! Look at how many companies have been in the news over bad ingredients in their stuff. I can just say that these two products (and a lot of hard ass work) have helped me accomplish a goal of bench pressing 500lbs. Onwards and upwards!

Some of the best protein I have ever had was intek evolution. Its a little pricey compared to others but by far the best I have ever had. Pre workouts didn't do a lot for me. I stopped lifting in march and am down 20 lbs and my diet is a lot worse now than it was. I have been thinking about getting back in the gym again though.
    Family car racing.

I used assault before and liked it. Beta alanine is different for everybody but it keeps me moving. When it feels like a thousand ants crawling up your back, not much else to do. N.O explode was another one I liked, both of these give you a good pump/endurance.I add a scoop of power shock amino nitrate (bcaa's) and have a good day at the gym. Post workout is really the most important, the simplest thing to do would be within the hour have some whey protein and water.

I worked out with some guys that took a little more advanced...supplements. Doubt you're interested in those, I know I'm not.

I generally slam two NOS energy drinks for a pre-workout, about a gallon of water during, and a muscle milk shake after.

In all seriousness though: I've used BSN's NO-Explode for a pre-workout, and like it (fruit punch). I'm currently using Mr. Hyde (lemon-razz) for a PW, and have some RAGE as well that I haven't tried yet. For pretein, I've had good luck with ON's Gold standard (cookies n cream), and also iForce Pretean (chocolate truffle - delish). Only bitch about the iForce is the artificial sweeteners make me gassy.

As always, eating clean is where its at. Lots of fruits and veggies!
    1978 Datsun 280z - LS1/T56 - Hole in my garage I throw money into

If I had all the money back that I've spent on cars
    I'd spend it on cars

Jesus H

I've been using the muscle pharm assault pre and muscle pharm Amino1 post workout and have had good results with it. Not sure what you are going for but I was lifting to get a little meat on my bones and gain a little weight. When I had a normal 4-day lift schedule I gained quite a bit of muscle and gained about 19lbs (141-160) in a years time. There is a ton of good products out there that I haven't tried but this has worked well for me.
    I also have a horrible diet so that hasn't helped my case any.
    03 Cobra - Built Aluminator, 2.9L Whipple, E85 - 10.33 @ 137.4

Quote Originally Posted by bfoster50620 View Post
    What has worked wonders for me personally are pre-workout drinks and post-workout drinks. Pre-workout, I take Mass Pump XXL by Powerlab Nutrition which has creatine in it as well as caffeine. It definitely gets you going, and pumped up for your workout. Your muscles swell up and make you feel great! After workout, I take Cellmass by BSN nutrition. Whatever you do, if you are going to purchase supplements, MAKE SURE the company you are buying from is reputable! Look at how many companies have been in the news over bad ingredients in their stuff. I can just say that these two products (and a lot of hard ass work) have helped me accomplish a goal of bench pressing 500lbs. Onwards and upwards!
    500 pound bench!

I'll throw my thoughts in here too. I don't intake any artificial sweeteners so that makes my choices a lot more limited. I rely on intense training and eating 90% clean. I'm not looking to put on a ton of mass, but rather stay at a fairly natural body weight and get as strong as possible.

Preworkout - Honey Badger
    Whey protein - Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey (Both chocolate and strawberry are very good.)
    I used the OP 100% Natural Casein, but it messes up my gut because of the lactose content.