Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: traffic camera ticket

Quote Originally Posted by skipdownstairs View Post
    My wife works at the courthouse and I asked her about it she says it happens alot that they get the wrong person make sure everything on the ticket is correct name date of birth etc.
    isn't it though if one thing on a ticket is incorrect the charge is dropped an your only left with paying the court charge?

I here all kinds of stories on how they handle things really depends on the magistrate judge and if she feels like playing GOD that day.
    Andy Fangman
    F1X Procharged LS1 Foxbody Mustang
    4.86 147mph
    http://www.youtube.com/user/skipdownstairs

ask for a jury trial it will get thrown out
    Andy Fangman
    F1X Procharged LS1 Foxbody Mustang
    4.86 147mph
    http://www.youtube.com/user/skipdownstairs

Bring your own jury.
    Prowler Orange 2000 Civic SI

2000 Audi S4, imola yellow, Stage3, evoms intake, borla 3in cat-back, apr dp's, APR turbo kit, stg3 clutchmaster, fidanza flywheel, apr snub mount, awe tuning trans-stabilizer, pioneer headunit, boston speakers, viper alarm, OZ 18's, BFG KDW2's, APR Bi-pipe.....because we all have as much ownership of this car as Derek does.

I've gotten 3-4, never paid a single one and haven't gotten in any trouble yet. Not on my credit (been a few years), never mentioned when I get pulled over, no calls from collections, etc... My argument, if it ever comes down to it, would be that the burden of proof lies on the "prosecution" to prove that it is me driving. I mean, if they were to find one of my guns at a murder scene, they can't just say "it was your gun, so it's your fault"... Might not be how it works exactly but I've been to court a few times and haven't lost one yet so, must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by sLoWnStEaDy View Post
    I've gotten 3-4, never paid a single one and haven't gotten in any trouble yet. Not on my credit (been a few years), never mentioned when I get pulled over, no calls from collections, etc... My argument, if it ever comes down to it, would be that the burden of proof lies on the "prosecution" to prove that it is me driving. I mean, if they were to find one of my guns at a murder scene, they can't just say "it was your gun, so it's your fault"... Might not be how it works exactly but I've been to court a few times and haven't lost one yet so, must be doing something right.
    That's different. With traffic violations they don't need to prove a damn thing. I've been to court over shit I've never done, ask me how that worked out. My only saving grace ever was a lawyer. This case however should be a lot more clear cut. Not his car, not his plates, the system is wrong; they still may try to force it on him anyway.
    1971 Baja Bug - Throwin' mud

Bang the judge's wife.
    Prowler Orange 2000 Civic SI

2000 Audi S4, imola yellow, Stage3, evoms intake, borla 3in cat-back, apr dp's, APR turbo kit, stg3 clutchmaster, fidanza flywheel, apr snub mount, awe tuning trans-stabilizer, pioneer headunit, boston speakers, viper alarm, OZ 18's, BFG KDW2's, APR Bi-pipe.....because we all have as much ownership of this car as Derek does.

Quote Originally Posted by Aircooled View Post
    With traffic violations they don't need to prove a damn thing.
    That's not true... I've seen my buddy get out of a speeding ticket even when he admitted he was speeding. I don't exactly how it went down (been probably 7-8 years) but it was something to do with the definition of "speeding". Basically, the weather was great, road conditions were great and he was going with the flow of traffic etc...
    Also, from personal experience, I know that if the officer who issued a speeding ticket doesn't have his log showing proof that he checked the calibration of his speed radar, it's dropped. Not exactly sure how the camera thing works but they can't just make shit up as they go.

I've pretty much been told I HAVE to go all the way to des moines to contest it or just pay. Dont understand why they just can't have someone look over the phone its so obvious the ticket is wrong.

After doing some googling they turn it over to a collection angency and if you still don't pay the state of iowa takes it out of your state income tax. Its only a $65.00 ticket in order to fight it I'd have to spend at least $20 in gas and 3 or 4 hours of my time/possibly miss some time at work.
    2000 Trans Am: 160* thermo msd wires bmr driveshaft loop. high 13s in late 2013!

From my own experience, I got clocked at 79 in a 55. The officer said that I had "dropped the hammer" and tried to run from him because it took him two miles to catch back up 4 lane highway, unmarked trooper, Chevy Impala with hubcaps and I had no clue this man was a cop in the first place, let alone I had a sparkling record before this and no reason TO run; plus his ass was traveling the opposite direction at highway speeds when he clocked me. So he said he was being nice and instead of towing me and hauling me off to jail for "running from him", he ran me up for 100mph in a 55mph zone. Well shit, clocked me at 24mph over which, even though I thought it was a 65mph zone, fair is fair, I was speeding anyway but I damn well know that 25mph over is an automatic loss of license for 6 months and SR-22 for 2 years in this damn state.
    I shit you not, I called about 15-20 damn lawyers in surrounding counties and every single one of them told me "you're shit outta luck." I happened to find one that was buddy buddy with the prosecutor, hired his ass for $500, he turned around and got the prosecutor to call up the cop, got his side of the story and said "well, we'll drop it down to what he was clocked at, at 24mph over."

Where you get the ticket and how you fight it all depends on the county you got the ticket in. Some counties like Johnson will straight up tell you "you're shit outta luck bud." Some counties like Linn county are tough as hell but they'll still work with you if and only if you know the right people. Shit, some counties the prosecutor or the judge will look at you and just say "I see your record is clean, I'll keep this on file for next time but you don't let this shit happen again," and drop the ticket way down or out.

It's not up to you, it's up to them and how they want to handle your ass because when it comes to traffic court, some counties can and will take the officers word as evidence.

On top of all this shit, years back I had a buddy that wasn't in too good of a place with one officer, the cop said he clocked him 3 miles back doing 35 over. Well shit, 3 miles back, he lost sight of him, 3 damn miles in town by the I235 bridge off 63rd in Des Moines. Should be a stupid clear cut case that the officer was well far away from him, lost sight, can't prove for shit that it was him. No lawyer, ticket stuck, license gone.
    Last edited by Aircooled; 07-18-2013 at 09:23 AM.
    1971 Baja Bug - Throwin' mud