Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: garage floor coating

garage floor coating

what do you guys recommend for garage floor coatings?

some notes i took down briefly
    ucoat it : sold direct online and summit sells it. water based. reviews indicate maybe its thin. not the cheapest

supercoat

epoxy-coat, sold online and at lowes, thick

wolverine coating, thick, online only

rust-oleum epoxy shield

rockSolid - sold online and at menards, poly

got epoxy-coat in the garages and gun room, no complaints. went on smoothly, spread easily, simple to do and it looks good.

How about reliably? I've seen where the slightest thing slides on it and it peels?
    2002 Z06

Legend has it the first car race happened after the second car was built.

Quote Originally Posted by 90blkbrd View Post
    How about reliably? I've seen where the slightest thing slides on it and it peels?
    I can say mine is STRONG as shiiiiiit!! I've literally drug transmissions and engine across it. dropped all kinds of really heavy stuff on it, just beat the living hell out of it to be 100% honest. my ONLY complaint is the stupid sprinkle things. I have a but of OCD and the coverage is not even close to uniformed and it drives me NUTS! sounds stupid, I know but I really can't stand it. I don't have a single screwed up/peeled/flaking spot in the garage that I have noticed though and it's been coated for like 5~ years now.

Quote Originally Posted by sLoWnStEaDy View Post
    I can say mine is STRONG as shiiiiiit!! I've literally drug transmissions and engine across it. dropped all kinds of really heavy stuff on it, just beat the living hell out of it to be 100% honest. my ONLY complaint is the stupid sprinkle things. I have a but of OCD and the coverage is not even close to uniformed and it drives me NUTS! sounds stupid, I know but I really can't stand it. I don't have a single screwed up/peeled/flaking spot in the garage that I have noticed though and it's been coated for like 5~ years now.
    got a picture?

The garage is a DISASTER right now but I'll snap a pic quick.

Edit: pics added, as I said, I am HARD on the floor and have probably mopped it twice and that's right before I painted. My fiero will be coming back from being tuned next weekend so I will probably clean the garage up nice and mop the floor before I bring it home. I'll try to snap a picture of it all cleaned up too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sLoWnStEaDy; 07-13-2013 at 06:45 PM.

I've been told by multiple concrete guys to get kure-n-seal. (I think that's the name).
    Stensons on 16th ave by West Post carries it. You apply with a roller or sprayer.
    Its more of a commercial product ig. $104 for 5 gallons.

I put one coat with a sprayer really heavy on new cement and it came out like glass.2nd coat gave it some texture.
    RIP - Twincharged Regal.
    04 Cobra - 11.4@123 ... 507whp/501wtq (2012)
    10.7@133 ... 641whp/610wtq (2013)
    9.999@141.00... Auto/SRA(2014)

thread saved; i'll be doing this to my garage floor this winter.
    Tango 'til they're sore

finally got around to doing part of my garage floor. I was about to order and use the epoxy-coat kit online as it seems to be the best deal and lots of people/info doing it online. I ended up spending a bit more and going local and using Sherwin Williams Macropoxy color coat with Rexthane urethane clear coat, you don't hear too much about it online but I guess a lot of commercial contractors use it for businesses/shops/industrial plants.

For my 475 square feet 2 stall section its cost me
    2 * $110 per color coat
    2 * $105 per clear coat
    $30 decorative flake
    $40 thick epoxy crack filler
    $8 shark grip anti-slip additive
    $25 reducer
    $130 floor grinder rental
    $100 misc, rollers, buckets, spiked shoes, masks, tax
    ---------------
    Total $550 ish for a nice and thick application of 2 coats color and 2 clear

before

before

during, home depot floor maintainer with diamond grinder inserts. Had to grind for 8 hours. Dusty and noisy, was not fun.

during

cracks filled and Derek Gingerich out there applying the first coat. Thanks for the help Derek!
    Last edited by AutoMods; 01-01-2015 at 05:28 PM.

By far the worst part was grinding the old epoxy off and prepping the floor. Not super hard just a lot of elbow grease.

Color coat before the flakes and clear coat

finished

close up. Had to let it harden 7 days (cold weather) before pulling the cars on it. Floor was a bit dusty in this picture but it really shines in person

off in the corner I did a little comparison. left side of picture has the shark grip traction additive. right side does not. the shark grip dulls it down a bit and makes it slightly harder to mop. most people use it but if you're sure no water or oil will sit on the floor you can go without it
    Last edited by AutoMods; 01-01-2015 at 08:37 PM.