Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewel Red tint coat TBSS Intro & Build

OK I am the admin on TBSSowners.com and someone came on looking for a TBSS close to Cedar Rapids and then posted they found one in Chicago. Did not know if it was you or not.

I see you found the other thread. I started out with all the "bolt-on" mods not wanting to screw with a brand new truck. I think I had E-fans, tune, intake and UD pulley on it at about 800 miles and was going to call it good. Was all downhill from there. You can see a lot of this at www.ss-shootout.com.

I dont know how much you are planning on doing to yours since your wife drives it but a good tune sure helps the drive-ability and with your intake will probably net you .3 in the quarter depending on how aggressive you get. E-fans are nice for noise and if I remember right Vector Motorsports found they rob about 15 horse. I seriously would look for a stock air box lid as the K&N just doesn't seal well enough. You are basically going to be heat soaked all the time and pulling timing.

Mine started out as a DD but hardly gets driven now. This winter I am jerking the motor and building a new short-block again and going with a good set of ported LS3 style heads and a lot more cam. Going to get rid of the truck intake and probably switch to Holley Hi Ram. Only thing that I haven't decided on is sticking with stock cubes or going to 408 stroker.

Let me know what questions you have. Been there and done that with a lot of it and if I haven't I know people that have ! PCM of NC also know as PCMforless is one of the best places to get TBSS tunes and related hardware. Alvin and Kelly are top notch and have built some really fast stuff and sold a ton of kits for doing things like adding e-fans. I highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by rrmccabe View Post
    OK I am the admin on TBSSowners.com and someone came on looking for a TBSS close to Cedar Rapids and then posted they found one in Chicago. Did not know if it was you or not.

I see you found the other thread. I started out with all the "bolt-on" mods not wanting to screw with a brand new truck. I think I had E-fans, tune, intake and UD pulley on it at about 800 miles and was going to call it good. Was all downhill from there. You can see a lot of this at www.ss-shootout.com.

I dont know how much you are planning on doing to yours since your wife drives it but a good tune sure helps the drive-ability and with your intake will probably net you .3 in the quarter depending on how aggressive you get. E-fans are nice for noise and if I remember right Vector Motorsports found they rob about 15 horse. I seriously would look for a stock air box lid as the K&N just doesn't seal well enough. You are basically going to be heat soaked all the time and pulling timing.

Mine started out as a DD but hardly gets driven now. This winter I am jerking the motor and building a new short-block again and going with a good set of ported LS3 style heads and a lot more cam. Going to get rid of the truck intake and probably switch to Holley Hi Ram. Only thing that I haven't decided on is sticking with stock cubes or going to 408 stroker.

Let me know what questions you have. Been there and done that with a lot of it and if I haven't I know people that have ! PCM of NC also know as PCMforless is one of the best places to get TBSS tunes and related hardware. Alvin and Kelly are top notch and have built some really fast stuff and sold a ton of kits for doing things like adding e-fans. I highly recommend them.
    What he said is a good start a tune wakes these hogs up pretty good and efans is great for adding sum hp and giving more room between engine and radiator. A set of stock ls1 camaro firebird fans will work just get the wiring kit from pcmforless and need to tune them in your ecm so they work but that's free when you order the wiring install kit
    01' Trans am 3.8l v6
    02' red ws6
    08' trailblazer SS awd stock 13.9
    11' buick la crosse

RRMCCABE

I have been frequenting both of those sites for a while now. A lot longer than what Ive owned my TBSS. I move slow, research, edmunds, research real world IE: the guys on the forums. Came to the conclusion this was the most practical but fun vehicle I could possibly buy for my needs.

Before I can do anything, basically I need a tune. Which in my case means sending my ECU out to PCMforless. I have a spare vehicle, so thats not an issue. But while its getting flashed for my "mods" I would then need them to flash for the e-fans. So its kinda a good chunk of money up front. IM cheap, gonna take me a while to make a move on mods. I want them..just know I dont need them.

Appreciate the input, sounds like we could have a tbss meet up here in CR with a decent turn out! Are DSM's getting replaced with SUV's on this forum?

Is that YOUR site, ss-shootout? Thats awesome if it is, the audio system is fantastic too. Ive read every post on that site twice by now.

Yes SS-Shootout.com is my personal site.

Keep on the lookout for a set of LS1 fans. Then just get the kit from PCMforless. One option you have is using someones HPtuners to flash your tune and fan patch. Only problem is you have to buy vehicle credits from HPtuners. But if you plan on doing stuff over time then this is the way to go. PCMforless can email you the changes and you just flash them in with HPtuners.

The TBSS is fun. We have a good time taking it to Eddyville clicking off a half dozen 7.60 runs against some pretty decent cars and then closing the cutouts, turning up the AC and watching a movie on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifte View Post
    RRMCCABE

I have been frequenting both of those sites for a while now. A lot longer than what Ive owned my TBSS. I move slow, research, edmunds, research real world IE: the guys on the forums. Came to the conclusion this was the most practical but fun vehicle I could possibly buy for my needs.

Before I can do anything, basically I need a tune. Which in my case means sending my ECU out to PCMforless. I have a spare vehicle, so thats not an issue. But while its getting flashed for my "mods" I would then need them to flash for the e-fans. So its kinda a good chunk of money up front. IM cheap, gonna take me a while to make a move on mods. I want them..just know I dont need them.

Appreciate the input, sounds like we could have a tbss meet up here in CR with a decent turn out! Are DSM's getting replaced with SUV's on this forum?
    I wish I woulda never messed with a dsm spent alot of ching and didnt go anywhere the tb with lil work would dust my old dsm.... but a tbss meet would be cool maybe do something at iaf shoot out
    01' Trans am 3.8l v6
    02' red ws6
    08' trailblazer SS awd stock 13.9
    11' buick la crosse

Afraid whatever you mess with is going to cost some money. But its all for fun right?

Here is idle clip of current setup with cutouts CLOSED. This will probably be the last video of it semi-civil. Going to get obnoxious after this.

colton, i can flash stuff for you with my efilive . but its like a one time $85 to register your vin.

[/video]

It sounds slow...
    96' 2.4 Neon
    05' Srt-4

What did you go to SEP or something. Cant even quote properly. LOL

Least mine runs ! Are you going to get yours street worthy or not?