Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinler project:

so me and my dad took the car to tri-state this past weekend and had some fun with it. We tried to fill the mounts a few days before hand but they didnt dry in time so we got construction adhesive everywhere lol. Anyway, got up there and just went straight on to the track and for some reason it completely lit up the right front tire thru 1st and 2nd. 1st pass went 16.7 @ 86mph with a 2.8 60ft. We had a good laugh on that one. Needless to say we were there to just have some fun and get a baseline run out of it. So i had the bright idea to drop the tire pressure clear down to 10lbs lol. went around the burnout box and just did a little dry hop to clean the tires off. This run it left a lot better, little wheel hop and hooked up then missed 3rd TWICE! 2nd pass went 16.2 at 84mph with a 2.4 60ft. Then my dad got in it and did the exact same run only he got it into gear. 3rd pass went 15.9 at 85mph with a 2.3 60ft. We let the car cool off for about 20mins or so with the hood open. Pushed the car thru the staging lanes and i started it right before hand. Same thing, around the box and dry hop. 4th and final pass went 15.8 @ 86mph with a 2.2 60ft. Not bad for car we have less than $500 invested, and we totally did not expect a 15sec pass out of it. We left happy! ill try to get a few pics, of some stuff weve done so far, when i get some time.
    Dallas Spinler-95 Honda Civic EX, B18B1 swapped
    91 Acura Integra GS frost white-sold
    91 4 door EF LS/Vtec spinler built, lil bit of spray-sold
    91 acura integra J1 trans I/H/E-sold
    99 civic ex coupe high compression mini-me swap- RIP Nov. 18th 2008
    91 CRX base SOHC ZC swap non-vtec- sold
    "You dont build a honda to go fast or make money, you build a honda cuz its what u like, its your hobby...."

You dropped almost a full second, I'd say it went well.

Sorry i havent been updating this as much as should, havent had any free time in awhile. So first were gonna go way back to when we did the suspension. First is a video of how bad it was when we got it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o0SAZXg3t0

So the car has all new: upper control arms, lower control arms, upper ball joints, lower ball joints, inner tie-rods ends, outter tie-rod ends, and springs. Heres some pics of the install:

The car also has new wheel bearings. We found out why it was leaking oil too..... The sending unit for the oil pressure gauge had broke but some how still worked??? yea, idk. So i contacted Jegs where i bought the gauge and they sent out a sending unit for free, just had to pay $5 shipping. So i had this bright idea to prevent it from happening again. Down below is a picture of the old one and the new one with the idea:

The new one with a thick layer of RTV silicone to keep the stud in place and leak free. So far have yet to see it leak, and the pressure on the gauge seems to be a lot more stable. (gauges are Sunpro electric gauges)

So we drove the car like this for a few weeks before i came across a deal for some better stock cams out of a newer integra. $30 shipped from MN. So me and the little one put those in:

She was pretty dirty when i pulled the valve cover!!!

So this is how the car sits as of now, fun to drive, no leaks, no rattles, my dad drives it to works just about everyday. So then we came across another great deal, i wont go into details but ill tell you this.... 115k miles, 1 owner (older lady), $300:

So me and dad cleaned the basement out, 2 full truck loads of garbage, to get the new motor on the engine stand. We got the auto trans pulled off and set aside to sell, and we plan on a few ARP bolts here and there and itll go in the car next spring. I think we plan on rebuilding it over winter. Ill be sure to take lots of pics, but so far my favorite pic was the one i took after i pulled the valve cover

Needless to say i was very happy when i seen how clean this thing was. Thats about all i have for now. thx for lookin.
    "You dont build a honda to go fast or make money, you build a honda cuz its what u like, its your hobby...."

Who carried the motor down the stairs this time?
    RIP - Twincharged Regal.
    04 Cobra - 11.4@123 ... 507whp/501wtq (2012)
    10.7@133 ... 641whp/610wtq (2013)
    9.999@141.00... Auto/SRA(2014)

me and my dad did, lol. ur the only one crazy enough to bear hug a complete long block down a flight a stairs by urself. good times brian, good times. also decided to get the car weighed for shits and giggles last week at alter. 1/4 tank of gas and my dad in the car she came in at 2440, even put the print out in the glove box lol.

So, after a lo-hot of research, and talking with other turbo B18 guys weve decided against a complete rebuild due to the fact that were only shooting for 250-300whp. What we are doing, is ARP headstuds, a block guard, and a OEM honda head gasket. But to be sure, we got the motor flipped over on the stand and pulled the oil pan off... looked like your normal golden color but it didnt look or smell burnt which made me kinda happy. so my cousin took the oil pan to his work and used the parts cleaner and cleaned it inside and out. also didnt see any shavings either, nor did the oil feel gritty... the motors been sitting for 2 yrs so........ idk. also, when i turn the motor over by hand i can hear some compression making its way past what i think is the rings, (motor upside down). should i be concerned with this or is it ok?

the wiring harness that came with the auto trans/engine got stripped down to bare wires. we then labeled all the clips and removed the auto trans clips. we then went thru almost 2 rolls of E tape wrapping it all back up lol. for a test i took it to the car and switched em out and it didnt wanna fire, the engine light didnt even wanna work... then it hits me, well the fuel pump wont turn on without a ground. lol forgot the ground wire on the thermostat housing. hooked it up and fired right up, no engine lights or any thing. so now that i know it works i need to extend the IAC wires about 2in. and wrap it with a final "sumthing", still dont know what i wanna use but i dont wanna use wire loom, i think its ugly lol. please suggestions wld be nice. thanks for looking.

Use unheated shrink tubing. I used it for virtually my entire harness when I was building it. It is a couple bucks for 4ft sections at Iowa Radio Supply. It is located by McDonalds off of Blairs Ferry. Has virtually anything you could want, reminds me of how Radio Shack used to be.

you doing all new bearings and rings?

you shoulda bought jacob's car all done up.

Quote Originally Posted by ImportEvolution View Post
    you doing all new bearings and rings?

you shoulda bought jacob's car all done up.
    Yea i wish, that thing was a blast.

But no im not doing bearings. All research ive done on honda-tech, they all say if the motors healthy to leave it alone and un-touched. But if the car ends up being something more in the future itll be rebuilt completely, but since the hp goals are so low were leaving it alone except for what i mentioned earlier. I feel well will be ok with those numbers. Theyre tellin me rod bolts wont stretch as long as im using stock cams and not pulling above 7200rpm, and stock walls will hold up to 400-500hp, mains give way after 500hp, and the rings seem to be in good health. As for the shrink tubing, how tight of a fit is it? as in does it hold the wires tightly or loosely?

Depends on the size you get. They have a lot of different diameters.Take your harness in and see what fits it best for the area you want.