Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bias Plys and Radial Mixing

Bias Plys and Radial Mixing

What is your opinion on running a street tire radial up front with a bias ply in the rear?
    I've seen quite a few people do it, but it just feels horrible!

Granted I couldn't figure out how to launch today to save my ass, but in the 3 or 4 passes I actually made, I was definitely scared every time.

I have 17" Yokohama street tires up front and 26x10.5x16 ET Street Bias Plys in back. Even at the 1320 mark, I was sliding around.
    Next purchase will be some 17x4.5s and some skinnies.

I've had the same setup on mine on Friday, except mine were 27" tall. It sucks, but what can you do.

I run 4.5 sportsman s/r's up front and eta drag/eta streets in the rear, its noticeable but not hoooorrrible...your setup was fishy today no doubt

So, do you have to run Bias up front? I guess I don't get why, is it so the car sways the same way front and back?!
    1989 Mustang 408W TT Built by me. Sippin Corn cocktails. 721hp 765TQ on 10lbs

2004 Subaru Forester XT 5spd

1979 Yamaha XS 1100, 70's goodness.

Sure sort of. You want the front end providing slower response to steering inputs. Having one end of the car respond quick and other end slow makes it easy to overcorrect I feel. I think people get by a lot of the time, but as speeds go up so does the issues. I think big fat low profile tires make it even worse since they respond so well. I run 285/35/18s up front on my street setup and that would a much worse than a little 205 radial up front, etc. I'd bet you would be just fine using a skinny radial up front also.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

you might always have some sketchyness although you should probably convert to all bias to be safer. i have et street bias and mt bias skinnies and sometimes it really pulls left and right on deceleration. one time it was so bad i thought a tire had popped. sometimes its very stable. I might be the most stable under hard braking instead of just letting it slow down, i'll have to play around more.

sounds dumb but i've played with hard and soft tires front and back on my rc car and its quite amazing the loss of stability when you mismatch tires

Tire pressure?
    "Faith makes things possible not easy" -o-

How old are those tires?
    "Faith makes things possible not easy" -o-

Had rears at 17psi cold to start. Lowered bsck to 17 when they got hot. Never got a chance to make apass when i raised them up.
    I bought them late last year from ebay almost new. No idea on actual age.
    Bought some 17x4.5 race stars with m&h front runners today.

Yup! Hang on for the ride on the big end. 275 40 17's up front, 26 x 8.50 x 15 et drags on the rear. she gets a little silly!