Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MAM Fast Friday Spring Track Day

MAM Fast Friday Spring Track Day

Since we seem to have some interest in a good track day, I figured we could start getting a date set up for those who need to request time off work.

Looking at the Fast Friday schedule, April 12th is one of the "Orientation Schools" for those who need one. If no one here needs that or everyone feels comfortable without it, we can move the date around. I need to do some track testing with the Spec Miata before my first race May 4th so April is a preferred time for me, but I can always go back another time without the race car and just the Rx7 if it doesn't work for everyone (FYI the benefit of having the race car there would be that we would have plenty of equipment in the trailer for breakdowns or tweaking).

So lets start with this:

Where: Mid America Motorplex
    When: Friday, April 12th, 2013; track opens 9am

Anyone have a problem with this date?

I'm good with that. Will probably do that one even if we choose another date.

Count me in at this moment! Still waiting on new Hoosiers, Tire Rack should have a fresh batch by the end of the month from what I heard...

I'd like to go! I'd need the orientation... only ever been a passenger on a track with curves.

I am up for going but I will have to see if my car is up for it. I think I need to upgrade my brakes and tires would help also.

I'm considering going.
    2002 Z06

Legend has it the first car race happened after the second car was built.

I'm in for an April date, the 12th would work fine. Wouldn't necessarily need the orientation date, but it's always nice to have instructors there for ride-alongs and tips. Any details on price and number of sessions/duration?

I think 80 for half day and 120 for full day. Does anyone know if that includes the transponder? 9-6 is a full day which should allow a lot of laps.

I've never needed/asked about renting transponders and wasn't aware they rented them. I can check with them as we get closer to April.

As for price, we can usually get some discounted rates when you bring a larger group. After we get a estimate of how many people are coming, I can ask them for a better rate at the same time I check on the transponders. And BTW, I believe the orientation does cost a bit more but maybe I can get something worked out for that also.

I wouldn't worry about sessions though. Usually it is around 20 minute sessions depending on number of groups. If it isn't real busy or a lot of closed wheel race cars there, there will only be two race groups. Otherwise they will create three which still means you will have at least 9 or so sessions.

Brakes are a definite plus at MAM. I am an EBC guy for my Rx7 and will be putting on some Bluestuff with my half used yellowstuff as spares. We use Hawk Blues for the race car but never tried any of their other styles on a street car to comment on their trackability.

I usually run Hawk HP+ for autocross and single lap runs since they build heat pretty quick with good bite. BUT, they overheat fast with multiple laps, and really lose torque in a hurry. I ran them at Road America a couple years back when it was really cold. I thought for sure they would be good for the temp, but was sadly mistaken and boiled the fluid pretty quickly.

Either way, just check to make sure the fluid is new, and that your rotors and pads have plenty of meat on them.