Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eddyc's (Slowride) twin turbo corvette build thread

eddyc's (Slowride) twin turbo corvette build thread

Well hopefully this will jump start Ed C's build thread since he hasn't posted one yet.

02 zo6 . Started with a forged ls6 stroked to 383 making around 500whp NA. 6 speed. c6 drivetrain. I'll let him fill in the details.

He's got it torn apart now to fab up a custom twin turbonetics journal bearing setup. He ordered 62mm compressor wheels, 65mm turbine wheels. Small b compressor covers for space reasons. I think Ed said another similar setup has made over 1000whp . He's planning on keeping ac and power steering. Hoping he'll make it into the manual shootout next year.

I picked up some coated parts for him from Cool Concepts since I live a lot closer and snapped some pics. Using oem gm manifolds (from cts-v i think) . he cut into the new turbine housings to cram in some wastegate mounts into the tight area

I hooked him up with Tial wastegates and bov's.

I also setup an account with Treadstone so I could get the intercooler he wanted. I had to do a buy in so also picked an intercooler up for the rx7 while I was at it as well as a bunch of other mandrel bends and other fab parts. Here is what Ed's intercooler looks like.....

Treadstone Intercooler features superb quality highly efficient bar and plate construction. Our quality cast end tanks ensure evenly distributed airflow and low-pressure drop. Our intercoolers are now pressure checked to 150psi and come with a 1-year warranty against manufacture defect. This intercooler was used in various twin turbo applications such as, Corvette, Viper, and Camaro....Able to support upwards of 1300HP.

Introducing the newly design TRTTC9 Intercooler. This intercooler was manufactured for those who want a more efficient and longer tube length intercooler to cool high boosted air down even more than our TRV25 series intercoolers. Features a longer 9" tube length than its predecessor, and is perfect for high boost applications upwards of 1300 HP.
    TRTTC9
    Core Size, 25" X 9" X 3.5"
    1-3" outlet and 2-2.5" inlets
    Outlet is angled 15 degrees
    1950 CFM flow rate
    1300 HP efficient
    2psi pressure drop at 1950cfm

retails for $480 which is pretty cheap for a brand name one. opted for this vs the china ones on ebay.
    Last edited by AutoMods; 11-23-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Thank god the coating covers up some of my poopy looking mig welding on the manifolds It's strong, but not super attractive. 2 bolt flanges bolted to the manifolds, sch 40 pipe making up the bends and the flanges are then welded to the manifolds also. They are some heavy chunks. None of this stuff is in sight haha, but all the exhaust/intake piping will be tig.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

Just to clear this up I said people can/have made this kind of power with turbos of this size, NOT that I will This is really a low buck setup and I'd like to have some better heads and pistons to really push it hard. I sold off all my NA stuff which help fund this thing. The only extra expences are getting all the fuel lines, pumps, injectors, rails, etc. That crap really adds up. NA stuff is so easy to do that I still used a stock fuel pump, lines, no extra gauges, etc.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra

Very nice! I like your wastegate solution.

must be nice to have money. looking good man!
    well I guess the camaro is staying good project for my kid.

Moderator (Night Patrol) Domestic Disturbance's Avatar
    so sick. I think it'd be cool to see a tt z06 vs tt viper
    05 2500 Max & Al
    83 Mary Kay Coupe DeVille - Just fresh
    96 civic hatch

Sinner

Cant wait to see it run Ed 2016??lol just kidding get on it and get it done..
    CTSV THAT EATS FIRECHICKENS!!!

Shit guys, my car is really just a bunch of cheap junk put together well The coating on the manifolds cost more than the manifolds/material ha. I'm thinking I might be limited by a few drivetrain bits to really make some steam. I really need to upgrade the driveshaft at some point, but didn't feel like dumping $1k into something that was working fine. My old 383 uses Mahle powerpak pistons and they are not a severe duty piston/ring combo, but the gaps were set up with a little nitrous in mind so they should be good. They are better than stock though and guys are getting away with a lot on those. The rods are compstar and eagle crank (got it before callies even made a compstar crank). The shortblock has 17k miles on it or so now. I might even consider a iron block down the road. My old heads are living in a RX7 somewhere so I ended up porting a set of 317's to drop the compression to ~10.0:1 as the old heads/block combo was 11.8:1. I also downgraded to a ls6 intake and stock throttle body as they take boost much better than a fast 90 like I was using.

I've switched to c6z rear/t56 so as long as it's all in good working order (used stuff) I should be good. t56's can be a problem at this power level, but it has all the factory cooling pumps and I relocated the oil spray to hit the headset gears in front of the trans. I'm running a Mcleod RXT clutch also. Lots of changes all at once so Im sure something will give me fits, but it should be at least started early this spring. Getting the turbos mounted up was the hard part I think.

I'm not trying to compare my car to anyone's stuff. I just wanted something that was somewhat quiet, drove smooth and could really shit on my old NA setup.
    Last edited by slow ride; 11-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra

Couple turbo pictures. Just little guys, but I noticed I could have got a 64mm billet in this housing for a few more bucks. Next time I guess.

Last edited by slow ride; 11-24-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra