Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rust fix!

rust fix!

hey guys. I have a 1996 Chevy 2 Door Tahoe and ahve some rust on the lower section oft he 1/4 panels and on the rockers. I'm tryign to find a good place that is not to expensive or does someone on here know how to fix it? i do not want it painted or anytrhing just newmetal put in.

Also who knows how tot ake off the fender flares on one of these?

unless you plan on keeping it a long time. or it has a lot of money in mods/upgrades. I think the money it will take to fix it won't be worth it on an older vehicle

it jsut has a rust hole about the size of my fist on the drivers side 1/4 panel in fornt of the rear wheel and i ahte rust. I plan on keeping it for a few years maybe longer. I jsut hate teh way rsut looks. Should i cheapo fix it by filling with expandafoam than fiberglassing over that than body filler over that... just wondering

Unfortunately my oldest PM's disappeared in the forum change but someone here did bodywork on the side and had said they could do some rust repair on my old third gen firebird for me, I ended up being in Cedar Rapids a couple weeks later and while up there I had him look at it and his price was really good.

No chance in hell of me remember now though, was like 3 years ago haha.

06 Corvette 92 Talon 04 Civic 96 Chebby

The only way to fix it properly would to be welding in new rocker panels and lower quarter patch panels. The rust is 3 times worse on the inside than what it looks like on the outside. I probably wouldn't worry about it unless you have a couple grand laying around or you find someone willing to do it for free.

i had a body shop here in waterloo look at it and they quoted me $800 to do it.... that may not be alot i know lol. But i bet if i find someone cheaper that does it on the side id have it done instantly. Just dont know if i wanna spend $1000 on a truck thats only worth $3000- $4000. So are you saying dont do the cheapo home filler fix job? :P

if you did it the cheap way it would only last a month or 2 or less before it started to bubble or see rust again it wont last, it would almost not worth fixing it the cheap way and bondo will hold moister as well if you didnt prime paint and cleared it
    01' Trans am 3.8l v6
    02' red ws6
    08' trailblazer SS awd stock 13.9
    11' buick la crosse

what i would do is than about 4 inches up on the bottom of the truck i would paint bed liner over it. So than it ha sa thick hard surface over it to not get hurt or anything... Think that would work?

bed liner will work just duraglas the hole smooth it out and prime it and scuff hower long your going to put bedliner on so it has something to stick i'v seen this done before many times or duck tape the hole lol
    01' Trans am 3.8l v6
    02' red ws6
    08' trailblazer SS awd stock 13.9
    11' buick la crosse

JB weld. I got some extra bed liner if ya need it.
    well I guess the camaro is staying good project for my kid.