Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mustang VS Corvette

Racing Factory entered cars is all sorts or weirdness. Nothing is left of the origional car. Cars that make too much power get restricted with plates, reduced displacement, etc and other slower cars get different engines or extra compression, etc. all trying to keep things close.

Back when Speedvision world challenge series was hot they were running m3's and NSX's with vortec superchargers next to vettes and vipers with restrictor plates and weight ballast. Hell even the biturbo S4's had k04 turbos, but had to run ballast if they won too much (which they did two years in a row)

Last test I remember reading with a gt500 was a old car and driver I had with race track results. All I remember is a base c6 putting a beating on the older gt500 and they also noted it was down on power after a lap or two from heat. I'm sure the new gt500 will be worlds better than the old one, BUT it still rides on the same chassis and only weighs a little less. It will be much faster, but don't expect the world. Look at the zr1 vs the z06, even with all that power advantage and weight disadvantage it doesn't really destroy the z06 on the track. It's usually only a 1-3 sec faster per lap.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

The newer 2011-2012 GT500's with the all aluminum motor handle much better,(suspension improvements too) and don't heat soak quite as bad. The performance Package has a 3.73:1 rear axle, Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar tires, 19-inch wheels in the front and 20-inch wheels rear. I will try to dig up the last test Car&Driver did on the road course comparison between makes but it was much quicker than the previous cast iron GT500 models. Not saying a Corvette beater, but better.
    Last edited by snickerlicker; 11-18-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Whats even funnier is that as we bring up road racing I'm thinking about putting turbos on my vette which will make it a little difficult to run at the track anymore due to heat. Nothing is ever fast enough in this damn hobby
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

^ True!