Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: thinking about doing a built iron block ls motor

thinking about doing a built iron block ls motor

What do you guys think about a built iron block lq9 or lq4 6.0 ls motor ? I hate to add an extra 80 pounds to the front of a light car but I would like to invest in a 4" bore motor and a forged ls2 is too expensive. I want some more displacement for torque and quicker spool. 6.6 stroker sounds like fun, not sure if thats the best option though.

The rest of this year I might take it easy and add a front mount, bigger exhaust, maybe some much needed paint work.

Next year i'd like to have a nice rear end and forged motor. The rear is going to cost around $2k so with that expense it would be nice to save with the cheaper iron block. Up the boost and 700whp to start off with. Skys the limit though with iron block.

I could afford to forge my ls1 so that is an option but I've been thinking of selling the ls1 to help fund the forged iron block. Also not sure how much money will be left over for the heads so it'll probably be cheap heads until I get to that. Then I figure a few years down the road the ls2 and ls3 will come down in price if I ever want to go aluminum block again.
    9.875@150mph
    2012 Iowa Manual Shootout Champion, on low boost setting. -Flying Ryan
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - Ben Franklin

nothing wrong with the LQ4 or 9, If you plan on do a total build with better heads and so on get the LQ4 it will be cheaper

ive owned so many LS cars its sickening, and i would under no circumstances EVER build an iron block motor or own one again. The weight just isnt worth it. IMHO the best motor on the market is L33 aluminum 5.3, the 4" bore motors just dont seal the heads like a 5.3. There is no reason to throw an anchor in your car when you already have everything you need. No reason to make over 650-700whp with your setup, I built a 91 FC with a freind with a forged 370, glide, and grannys 8.8 setup. Its 2700lbs with fuel and is nearly undriveable over 8psi, so what was the point.
    Gary
    00 ls1 camaro- PTC 4200 stall, BBK longtubes, Borla, 100mm Lid, 4.10s, weight reduction, E85

Any videos or track time details of that car? Sounds awesome.
    Casey
    '03 Mustang

2010 IAF Manual shootout CHAMP!
    2011 IAF/DS Rob Palmer Shootout Quickest Overall Competitor! (Just Barely..)

I heard ls2 is here its at. But really making that big of a deal over 80 pounds meh you can find other ways to lighten your car.
    well I guess the camaro is staying good project for my kid.

test

Moderator (Night Patrol) Domestic Disturbance's Avatar
    Idk man its only 80lbs but also the weight savings of the rx7 platform is what makes it so awesome. Not sure if the square port heads would be worth it in a boosted setup though. I would imagine you wouldn't build boost as quickly due to the lower runner velocity/let back pressure. I could be wrong on that too.

IMHO the square port heads are no better than a good set of cathedrals. In a boosted app there is little to no gain
    Gary
    00 ls1 camaro- PTC 4200 stall, BBK longtubes, Borla, 100mm Lid, 4.10s, weight reduction, E85

Well you can still run cathedral port heads on the lq's

or you can build a alum block motor and throw 10 bricks in the nose of the car and accomplish the same thing

Did anyone catch the new issue of hot rod where they made 1200hp with a stock 4.8 bottom end? Telling you there is no need to go 6.0L with a turbo setup, in fact the small bore motors seem to make just as much power or even more with less problems
    Gary