Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: street drag radial tires, what do you run? what do you like?

street drag radial tires, what do you run? what do you like?

looking for something that will last at least 7k miles. anyone know how long the nitto nt05r will last?

considering gforce drag's, nitto 555r also

I figure the mickeys don't last long enough so I rule them out. I already have 15" MT et street bias tires but I save them mostly for the track. These will be for my 17" mustang rims.
    9.875@150mph
    2012 Iowa Manual Shootout Champion, on low boost setting. -Flying Ryan
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - Ben Franklin

Moderator (Night Patrol) Domestic Disturbance's Avatar
    I know nitto 555r's take a lot to heat up which kills the life if you race on them often. My buddies 03 cobra had them in 315s and they were still pretty garbage on the street. I know fiddy has the nt05r's. The bfg dr's with the smooth spot in the middle are also pretty worthless from the many times I've seen them. I really did love my MT Radials on the street.

I wish rob was here, cause I think he tried damn near every tire cept the goodyear dr and the nt05r. I know he wasn't too happy with the hoosiers he bought either.

You'll have a hard time getting 7k miles out of an nt05r or mt et street. 0 treadwear rating on both. I've never used the nt05r's but as I understand it they.are very sticky. I've used the mt and they pretty impressive.

The 555r's are not nearly as sticky (100 treadwear) but will last considerably longer and wont kill you in case of a light mist.

Never used the hoosier or bfg's.
    Casey
    '03 Mustang

2010 IAF Manual shootout CHAMP!
    2011 IAF/DS Rob Palmer Shootout Quickest Overall Competitor! (Just Barely..)

The nt05rs haven't lasted on my car as long as id like them to but the traction trade-off is well worth or....and they were 100 bud cheaper then mickeys.....my bfg gforces I had lasted forever and hooked decent though...not as well as the nt's but better than 555rs

Sounds like the G-forces are the way to go.

I have the toyo TQ's on the vette and most guys like them. I'd say the mickys, M&H and NT05's will be the sticky ones, but won't last very long. I'd run the nitto 555 or toyo dr's for the street. They feel more like a street tire also. I think the toyos come with 6/32 tred depth as nittos are 5/32. Any of these will be worlds better than the old hocky pucks you have on those wheels now.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

I've had the BFG G Force sports and the KDWs on my TA. Liked them both, the G Force Sport lasted a little longer. Normal street driving though.

Since you have drag tires I'd just get the nittos or toyos so you have something that is fun to drive around on. You could even use something like toyo r888's, nitto nt01's, 555r2's, or something (road race/autox type tire) as they still hook well on the street and corner very well. Run them in front and back then you can still take turns in the car.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

I presently have just the common nitto 555 (275/35/18) and 555R (305/35/18) on my car for dd purposes. I like them. My car makes a decent amount of torque so wheelspin is inevitable, and I can't really say I've ever tried to race anyone from a dig on the street, but that being said they hold their own.
    Casey
    '03 Mustang

2010 IAF Manual shootout CHAMP!
    2011 IAF/DS Rob Palmer Shootout Quickest Overall Competitor! (Just Barely..)

thanks guys. probably won't be buying front tires ed. Just saving for rear end and/or forged motor. Expensive to make your car really good at both drag and cornering. I don't like spending money on tires but now I'm at the point were I can't even go to full boost in 4th gear without slipping.
    9.875@150mph
    2012 Iowa Manual Shootout Champion, on low boost setting. -Flying Ryan
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - Ben Franklin