Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to get my flywheel resurfaced?

I wouldnt go to O'reillys. The screwed up rotors before. Sperry charges me in a range of 40-55 depending on what time of day I take one in. Is it like a dsm where step height has to be set?

What clutch was in it and what are you going to put in it? If it has a step height it needs to be right or it will throw off pressure plate performance. Not sure what the other places are using, but if it's not surface ground it's not the right way to do it. Turning it on a lathe would leave a directional finish.

A place in Waterloo (clutch masters) does them for me on a surface grinder. If it's flat and just has some heat marks on it from a organic disk you can get away with scuffing it up using a die grinder and abrasive pad. I'd want to look at the flywheel though before doing something like that.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra
    02' Honda Superhawk slow, but sounds fast

You might check Sadler. I would give them a call and see what they say. As long as it isn't a driveshaft it might have a quick turn around

IAF Team Member
    I've always had good luck with Sperry. He does it the proper way, you don't want to lathe a flywheel.

I dont know what it looks like yet. I had a 6 puck spec clutch in so i dont know what it is going to look like.
    Im not driving fast, Im flying low.

1995 Mazda Miata - Autocross Warrior
    2000 Subaru 2.5RS - Custom turbo @ 6psi
    1997 S10 - work horse

2005 Z51 Corvette 508whp NA - sold :'( "this one still hurts"
    2007 WRX - 13.2 @ 102mph 1.7 60ft -(sold)
    2003 FZ1 - 10.995 @ 124.5mph - (sold
    2006 R6s -10.998 @ 121mph - (sold)

Name- Eric

Why not get an aluminum flywheel? Drivability is not that bad, just takes getting used to.
    98 Turbo Taco
    66 Studebaker Daytona
    01 Infiniti QX4
    93 F-150
    02 Corolla

AWD cars make some weird noises with ultra light flywheels. Nothing I'd want in a daily. Is this a stock flywheel? No need for a 6 puck stage 3 spec at that power level and it won't do wonders for gearbox life. Flywheel sill be a little rough after a 6 puck for sure. Not sure whats out there, but get something strong enough and still smooth.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra

Eric and I have talked about it. If the stock flywheel is in good enough shape for a resurface its gonna be the way to go. Lighter flywheels do cause odd noises and can cause misfire codes. Spec stage 2 I think is going to work for him, I believe its a full Kevlar disc.

Interesting, it must be an AWD thing. I went from A 22lb flywheel to an 11lb flywheel in the taco and the only noticeable difference was the added pep in its step.
    98 Turbo Taco
    66 Studebaker Daytona
    01 Infiniti QX4
    93 F-150
    02 Corolla

All sorts of weird noises start to pop up. I think it's due to the awd and backlash, etc, etc. Audi's are the same way. I'd use the stock flywheel for now also, but after a 6 puck it will probably need to be machined a decent amount. What about a good old ACT organic street clutch with a heavy pressure plate? Do Subi's have any problems with heavy pressure plates like DSM's did? (crankwalk, worn clutch parts, etc) You could probably use that old spec pressure plate with a dual friction clutch disk. Something like FE (feramic) on the flywheel side and organic on the pressure plate side. I might be able to source the materials to do that.
    02' TT Z06
    00' Audi S4
    02' Tundra