Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When was CRunderground founded?

When was CRunderground founded?

Just curious, when was CRunderground founded? And at what date was it changed to IAF ?
    9.875@150mph
    2012 Iowa Manual Shootout Champion, on low boost setting. -Flying Ryan
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - Ben Franklin

i wanna say 04 when it was first founded then crashed in 06 i dunno when it changed to iaf
    well I guess the camaro is staying good project for my kid.

IAF Team Member
    i was thinkin it was like 03? i dont remember it being down though. i was probably banned then lol

post count got reset i remember that
    well I guess the camaro is staying good project for my kid.

I know I was a member in 2003. Spent free periods in the library on the computer, and used the photo lab computers to get on CRU. Scary to think what my post count should be.

IAF Team Member
    mine should be higher than what it is. i got locked out of my old name and every time Gryphon banned me he erased my post count. which was somewhere near 1000 at one point.

2003 it was founded, I'm 99% sure. I bought the site from Sean in the summer of 2004 for $80 I believe.

I'm pretty sure something like July/August of 2006 it became IAF.

It originally started as the place to go to find out where the street races would be located. I think the cops caught on to that eventually and then once I took it over, I wanted to change the focus away from illegal street racing and just make the site a local auto forum where people could shoot the breeze and talk about cars.

I wanted to start representing at car shows and trying to do some advertising, but we were having a hard time getting any respect with the CRunderground name, having been tarnished with a reputation of the 16-year old street racing scene in Cedar Rapids (don't anyone get butt-hurt about it... that was our reputation back then, fair or not). I started hearing buzz about a lot of guys who would love to come to a local car forum but wouldn't be caught dead at "CR Underground." So I wanted to change our image into something a little more professional. The name change really did go a long way with that. Granted, I think it was more to do with the members here getting older over time. Those of us who were 17 or 18 when this place started are now 25. etc etc.

Hope that helps.

yeah, I have a decent amount of posts on my old name (iluvrice) so my post count would be higher as well and my join date would be older.

I know it was around in '03 as well, I traded my 200SX for an Integra a while after I got it. The kid was like "you can find all of my info and shit on CR:U", that was the first time I heard about the site and joined a few days later. I didn't get the title into my name until almost a year after that and the issue date on the title is Sept. 2004 so...

As for switching to IAF, sometime '07... I know when I got my cadillac it was IAF and I got that in December of '07
    Last edited by sLoWnStEaDy; 02-25-2011 at 11:45 AM.

bought it for $80 , thats funny. what other forums were out back in 2003? dragsource came out afterward right? I know I had a homemade forum on my ImportEvolution.com site before cru but it was a single threaded really simple thing that i programmed myself with php/mysql . Had around 20 people that posted to it and somehow spammers always found it. Does anybody remember that?
    9.875@150mph
    2012 Iowa Manual Shootout Champion, on low boost setting. -Flying Ryan
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - Ben Franklin

I think Powers had dragsource.com up before cru. Later dragsource went to .net