Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2WD trucks during winter

IAF Team Member

Re: 2WD trucks during winter

Thanks for all the input guys!
    ‘47 Willys CJ2A with an SBC

For the record... four wheels will spin on ice just as easy as two wheels....

IMO 4WD should be used cautiously, I have seen SO many more people in 4X4 spin out and wreck and all kinds of other stuff than those in 2wd trucks. I guess mainly because 4wd owners tend to think they are unstoppable or something... when i say the Blazer was RWD... it was actualy a selectable 4WD too of course, i just never used it. I have made it through every winter since i was 16 (so 7~ years now) with a RWD vehicle and never once went in the ditch, spun out etc...
    -_-

you guys are freaking nuts!! last 2 years i was stuck at home cuz my 2wd would get stuck everywhere!! i had good tires and still had to buy a winter car so i could get around, no joke you will wish you have 4wd come winter time

Worse car in winter imo I've ever had is the 94 tbird it drags snow worse than a stang so it goes nowhere. That's w 300# of sand in back. A 2wd truck or my old rwd aerostar was fine w 300 to 500# of sand. I drove a 2.3 auto 2wd ranger for yrs at k.c. As long as it doesn't drag snow w weight and tires it can go good enough in 6" to 8" imo. t bird 3".. maybe.. I've got to say we didn't have fwd for yrs and k.c. maybe gets 8" once in a few yrs, but more ice. Then you are fkd w/o chains, 2wd, fwd, or 4wd. The city of k.c. was cheap azz, you put 500# sand in the back called it good, didn't even have a/c. Shovel it out come spring.

Best car in the snow I've owned was a 73 monte. Thing would go anywhere. Worsted was 89 Pontiac GTA. I gut stuck at red lights often. It sucked.

best was WRX but the worst was the jetta till i put rally snow tires on it....
    Im not driving fast, Im flying low.

1995 Mazda Miata - Autocross Warrior
    2000 Subaru 2.5RS - Custom turbo @ 6psi
    1997 S10 - work horse

2005 Z51 Corvette 508whp NA - sold :'( "this one still hurts"
    2007 WRX - 13.2 @ 102mph 1.7 60ft -(sold)
    2003 FZ1 - 10.995 @ 124.5mph - (sold
    2006 R6s -10.998 @ 121mph - (sold)

Name- Eric

OK how bout a tip from someone who drives through a foot of fresh snow every morning.

1. 2wd is fine, people think 4wd makes you invincible anyway... slow down and learn to drive patiently.

2. SKINNY TIRES, are what you want in the snow. Not mud, or big ass beefy ones. Skinny with a snow / aggressive tread. A wide tire will act like a snowboard... and send you skidding everywhere, skinny tires cut through the snow better, like a snowboard on its edge.

3. You cant get these but we also have studded tires. They make life a bit better when there is 6" of ice, with 16" of snow on top of that covering the roads from my house to the mountain where i have to go to work.

But yeah, weight your rear end, skinny tires and you'll be fine... just dont drive like a douche and you wont get sideways and kill someone. You will still slip here and there... but smart driving will correct that quickly.

IAF Team Member

Thank you sir.

^justin you can check the iowa studded tires regulation... if you need a set of studs i can get you some, they are damn near free out here mainly cause everyone has to have them.

IAF Team Member

I'll let you know if I pick up a truck in the near future.