Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a GTP - maybe

Buying a GTP - maybe

Considering they book around 4,000 - and I really cant find anything wrong with this one.

I sold my alero this morning and near have the mustang payed off and ready to sell now as well (thank god that will be over - I screwed myself on that) and my intention is to just spend 3k or less on a good running decent car, and if I can find a car that I could play with and have fun with as well - all the better.

This little place along 61 has a few cars for sale, the guy that owns it isn't into the car business much at all - he runs a rather large towing/wrecking company - So he isn't really a car salesman and is straightforward with 5-8 cars he has for sale. Due to this he's known to be honest about the cars he sells as he really doesn't worry if they sell or not as it doesn't even make up 5% of his business.

Anyway they had a 1998 GTP Sedan Leather/Sunroof/Hud with 215k on the body and 112k on the motor which had some rattle under the hood and was priced at 3800 - i Drove it and it definitely still had its power but still for the price wasn't what I wanted.
    He said he put the new motor in but didn't know anything else about the car as he picked it up through an insurance company.

Then i test drove their 97 GTP Coupe they had there. Not quite as loaded. Cloth / No Sunroof / No Hud but that stuff really doesn't worry me to much.

All the lights / AC / stereo worked. Tranny shifts fine and precisely. I couldn't see any leaks. No rust from what I could tell. Rear bumper where it says Pontiac was really scraped up but meh. Mufflers are a bit rusted through - but the body itself is pretty much rust free. Engine looked in great shape.

Has 146,000 miles on it - starts/runs fine. The guy told me to go down a back road and just lay into it. Did 0-100 like it was new. The launch left nice black marks on the road.
    I was really really impressed with it. The guy told me that it was traded for another GTP they had sitting out - so I'm guessing the previous owner liked GTP's too and may have beat on it a bit but you'd never know it the way it drives. The passenger window is pretty slow - but still.

The asking price for it is $2,500 and I personally think from experience if I were selling it I'd price it a bit more since it books at 4k and I really can't find anything bad wrong with it.

Sorry for the really long paragraph - I just don't want to screw up like I did with my Mustang deal.

I know there are some people on here (cough* tricky *cough) who really know their stuff about GTP's

I'm just wondering if I should be looking for anything else. All gauges work and the supercharger boosts perfectly fine. The car is completely stock from what I could see under the hood.

Thanks for reading my extremely long essay haha

Thanks for any advice

06 Corvette 92 Talon 04 Civic 96 Chebby

Re: Buying a GTP - maybe

looks like a pretty decent deal..they are solid cars and parts are cheap...i put old one in the 13's for well under 1k and after a few other things it would run consistent mid 13's and still got over 30mpg on the highway

My folks have a 2003 GTP that has been a great car for them. Given, my dad does take really good care of his vehicles (changes oil every 3,000 miles. Sends them in to the dealer at the specified intervals for check-ups and maintenance), but they haven't had any problems with it and it's approaching 100k miles within the next year or so.

For the price, it doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. As with any used car, make sure you're setting money aside in savings to help you deal with any unexpected repair costs that might pop up. Buying high-mileage used cars is one of those things; you've just gotta prepare yourself for the worst.

I say go for it. They are fun cars, and a GTP is good to drive year-round! No real need for a winter beater.

go for the cheaper one. Just know instead of car payments you will have maintenance costs that cost nearly the same. Obviously thats not expected every month but it will occur. If the guy knows his cars, ask him if he could put it on a lift for you. Check the suspension and brakes out. Exhaust rust is no big deal, just shows its age and means you have an excuse for some different exhaust.

If you get it let us know, post up some pics.

depends primarily on if I can get my Mustang sold here quick.

Assuming it does sell, I'll probably definitely either be buying this GTP or else an '89 Formula GTA up in des moines - still kinda debating that as well, but yeah :P

I would have to agree, sounds like a good buy. Just obviously check over the usuals. The 3.8 liter is a very strong motor. Good chassis in all honesty. I wouldn't mind owning one, everything is fairly easy to fix/replace.
    Andrew Sexton
    Owner of ATS Automotive

The 3.8 is a good engine. I had an 03. My dad has it now and has 125,000 on it with almost no maintenance.
    09 Z06 / 08 Z51 - http://www.RedC6.com

stick with the mustang... 3.8 power.......

If it weren't for problems popping up here and there and the fact that my car is definitely marked in town ever since my ticket (I get cops following me all the time >.<) I might.

+ The insurance on it is 140 a month for full coverage.

I enjoyed the Mustang - but I'm ready for a change :P

My parents have a GTP, I drive it from time to time. Its an 01 and the car is pretty nice. Rides good and its decently fast. I think they look like booty though...