PDA

View Full Version : Might As Well Get a Head-Start [WTB - 5.7L 350]

LayneAlways
10-22-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm looking for the SBC 5.7L 350 from the old F-body Firebirds, looking for a fairly low price [Obvious?], so the more miles the better probably xD.

If anyone knows other fairly fast workable engines to go in a 1990 Firebird, I'd be willing to consider all things, or if anyone has any other nice mod-type parts for this type of car, I'd be interested into looking into those as well. Thanks much!

DustinsDuster
10-22-2008, 09:32 PM
come to think of it, my buddy Apples probably still has the 355 shortblock from his Monte. i'll shoot him a message and let you know.

LayneAlways
10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Appreciated! ^^

sLoWnStEaDy
10-22-2008, 09:47 PM
My dads neighbor races at hawkeye downs and always has a few extras...
He buys complete, running 350's for dirt... Thats where i got all 5 of mine from. IIRC i paid like $250-$300 a pop for my 4-bolt mained ones...

this guy has a fuel injected one with a trans for $400.
http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/pts/872466991.html
Sell the trans and Fuel injection stuff and easily get most of your money back. Selling the EFI stuff off my 5.0HO actualy paid itself off and left me enough for a carb intake...

LayneAlways
10-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Oh thanks for the find man.
Do you happen to know how much engine swaps cost, or someone/place that can do them for cheaper than average? I don't really have the resources to do it myself.

CiViC-Wanted
10-22-2008, 10:23 PM
I would check racingjunk.com, this is a racing site for the mostly dirt oval guys. I would check junkyards the power your making a you can get away with a 2bolt main, but if you find a cheap 4 bolt main motor defintally get it. Definitally ask oval racing guys most have alot of motors laying around.

Fire Hawk
10-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Do you happen to know how much engine swaps cost, or someone/place that can do them for cheaper than average? I don't really have the resources to do it myself.

That's a loaded question right there. What kind of engine/trans is in your vehicle right now. You going for carb or Fuel injection? Exhaust? There's a lot that goes into building and having all the supporting parts needed. I went from TB to Carb on a 92 camaro I had and My bro has a built 355 in his 85 firebird. He was able to learn from me what was needed to make it all work properly and it's not cheap by any means. I can always answer any questions you may have.

DustinsDuster
10-23-2008, 03:37 AM
my buddy's 355 is sold already. i'll keep my ears open for another though.

sLoWnStEaDy
10-23-2008, 09:08 AM

That's a loaded question right there. What kind of engine/trans is in your vehicle right now. You going for carb or Fuel injection? Exhaust? There's a lot that goes into building and having all the supporting parts needed. I went from TB to Carb on a 92 camaro I had and My bro has a built 355 in his 85 firebird. He was able to learn from me what was needed to make it all work properly and it's not cheap by any means. I can always answer any questions you may have.

Really...?
Shit was cheap and easy as hell when i did my buddies '90 RS. I think the whole swap cost us like $500 which included the engine and the carb/carb intake... as long as she sticks with a standard SBC it is a direct bolt in and all the 305 acc. and stuff will swap right over. she wouldn't really have to change a single thing... If she sticks TBI it would be even cheaper. get a 350 shortblock for $100~ and swap everything over, drop it back in and go.

Took me all of about 4 hours for the RS 305-350 swap... thats from the time it was parked in the garage to teh time we drove it out....

ANYWAYS.... i will let you know on the engine

Fire Hawk
10-23-2008, 12:09 PM

Really...?
Shit was cheap and easy as hell when i did my buddies '90 RS. I think the whole swap cost us like $500 which included the engine and the carb/carb intake... as long as she sticks with a standard SBC it is a direct bolt in and all the 305 acc. and stuff will swap right over. she wouldn't really have to change a single thing... If she sticks TBI it would be even cheaper. get a 350 shortblock for $100~ and swap everything over, drop it back in and go.

Took me all of about 4 hours for the RS 305-350 swap... thats from the time it was parked in the garage to teh time we drove it out....

ANYWAYS.... i will let you know on the engine

I didn't know what engine was in the car already and what setup it had. I agree with you that the swap from a 305 to a 350 can be done quick. It can also be done cheap if you can find the deals and know your not going to get screwed on the stuff your buying.

Yes it can be done cheap but if you skimp on things while you have shit out it may cost more in the long run. I'm not trying to be an ass here but while you have a used $100 short block. I would suggest resealing the engine up depending on if there is any gaskets on it already. Head/intake/oil pan/ timing cover/water pump gskts/crank seals?? Throw a new water pump on it, oil pump while the pans off? New mild cam for the 350 vs taking the 305 valve train. 305 heads on a 350 will not net you really any more hp either due to lack of flow. I'd be pissed to drop an engine into the vehicle only to find the rear main leaking or oil pan gskt leaking. Cause those would not be fun to change once it's in the car.

How cheap do you want it to be and reliable it will be and where your getting your stuff from are going to play a big part.

LayneAlways
10-23-2008, 04:50 PM
First I really wanna find someone who /can/ do it, since I can't, from there I'll probably consider how much I should replace and change while the engine is already out, meaning I'll probably save up for those mods too, but thanks for all the info so far. If anyone knows an autoshop, or person that can do swaps for cheap, I'd appreciate it.

Fire Hawk
10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
First I really wanna find someone who /can/ do it, since I can't, from there I'll probably consider how much I should replace and change while the engine is already out, meaning I'll probably save up for those mods too, but thanks for all the info so far. If anyone knows an autoshop, or person that can do swaps for cheap, I'd appreciate it.

You could always check with stewarts, sperrys, performance concepts, D&R engins are the places that I can think of off the top of my head. Call around and let them know what your wanting to have done and that'll give you a rough idea for labor. If you had everything ready to go it might be something myself with my dad could do for the right price.

LayneAlways
10-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Interesting, do you know what kind of price that may be?

DustinsDuster
10-23-2008, 06:40 PM
from personal experience, i can tell you Performance Concepts might not be the cheapest of those options, but you really get what you pay for with engine work. i had them build the engine for my pickup that i was originally just planning on re-sealing, and calling good; but when they found out all the little problems, they made me realize i really should do it right. if their name is going to be on the work, they want it done right, you know?

i would trust them building any kind of car or engine; the quality of their work is great. some pics of the engine they built for me are about half way down on this page:

http://www.iowaautoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12200

LayneAlways
10-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Awesome, do you know what their rates are, and how long a swap would take to get done?

DustinsDuster
10-23-2008, 07:40 PM
call and talk to Steve(the owner), he's a straight shooter. if you go in to talk to him, you can drool over the twin turbo Lingenfelter vette that's there right now...

LayneAlways
10-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Omg I might have to do that, I love the Lingenfelter vettes