PDA

View Full Version : FYI for VISTA intermittent network/internet connection

fbodyguy
10-16-2008, 05:20 PM
<RANT>

Shut off the power management to the NIC!

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center, Left side choose "Manage Network connections" -> right click your NIC - "properties" - Click the Configure button - Power management tab and uncheck that MF!

For the love of GOD!

</RANT>

69gt4speed
10-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks Tony will see if it improves that thing. Another thing I had to make the wife a admin also, way too much bs otherwise. Example her poker program required a upgrade she couldn't do it w/o logging in as me etc. Then why even bother.

fbodyguy
10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
There is a fix for that also, Rob. It was in the ITDojo on Techrepublic on how to set up a task that handles the administrator password prompt all the time.

Why MS set the NIC to power down is dumb, but than we are talking about MS (sucks) :)

69gt4speed
10-17-2008, 11:57 AM
I really don't care if she has admin rights, her computer she hates it each day, wants the dell w xpsp2 back...LOL
Another subject.. you can pm or whatever also, who is the fastest street 6 speed in town? You know not a race fuel car? Say domestic, already know about Jesse's evo. Ls, lt, dodge, and other.

Domestic Disturbance
10-17-2008, 12:45 PM
thatd be my car rob haha... i wish

fbodyguy
10-17-2008, 12:57 PM
There are a couple but I'm not sure who is the fastest. I haven't talked to Jay lately to see if he got the laughing gas installed or not. If he did I think he'd be up there in the ranks...

69gt4speed
10-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Last I knew Jay was getting a rear end first. fab 9 I think. A couple of ppl asked me, so thought I'd ask you. Winter is coming.

fbodyguy
10-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah I'm not really sure and haven't been up on knowing people here lateley. School is taking it's ground along with all of the work I did this summer downtown afterhours.

fbodyguy
10-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Not sure or not also but 30lbsofboost may be running the black Z through the 6 speed and it might be fairly quick... :)

69gt4speed
10-17-2008, 06:50 PM
if I find out let you know.

Deathinnovember
10-19-2008, 02:26 PM
<RANT>

Shut off the power management to the NIC!

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center, Left side choose "Manage Network connections" -> right click your NIC - "properties" - Click the Configure button - Power management tab and uncheck that MF!

For the love of GOD!

</RANT>

Will this actually fix all my connectivity issues with Vista? I love my Vista computer but it is a bitch sometimes to connect to my router.

69gt4speed
10-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I've got 100% confidence in Tony, it will be better. Vista sucks imo as I said all along and he said it can be better. And he showed the way. Meantime I'll use xpsp2... on a emachines core.

Deathinnovember
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I've got 100% confidence in Tony, it will be better. Vista sucks imo as I said all along and he said it can be better. And he showed the way.

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what that is supposed to fix or do?

69gt4speed
10-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Evidently vista looks at latency and decides you don't need it (nic) if typing or so on. Then it when you try to send, takes a while to look at and establishes available connections. I myself am tired of seeing spinning circles and don't use that computer. Wife hates me but isn't my fault. Tony's fix locks it on all the time (that's what it says) takes the sleep function out of nic card.

fbodyguy
10-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Yes Rob is right, it doesn't allow the NIC to shut down. I was experiencing a loss of connection, due to Vista shutting off the NIC to conserve power. Bad choise, all power management on my two Vista 64 bit systems is going to be shut off tonight, completely.

Deathinnovember
10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Yes Rob is right, it doesn't allow the NIC to shut down. I was experiencing a loss of connection, due to Vista shutting off the NIC to conserve power. Bad choise, all power management on my two Vista 64 bit systems is going to be shut off tonight, completely.

Oh wow so this will completely fix the problem of it taking so damn long to connect to my router? I have the 64x Vista Ultimate, so I really hope this works, I'm going to try this and see.

fbodyguy
10-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Mark here are the quick shots I did to guide you to the window you need.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568145214RlQyGN

fbodyguy
10-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Click on the network and sharking link in the icon and picture two shows up.

Click on view status across from your active connection.

Click the properties button on the next window.

Accept the user account pop-up that occurs.

Click on the configure button and select the power managment tab, then uncheck the top box.

Deathinnovember
10-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Great! I'm going to get onto my laptop in a few minutes and try this out, I'll let you know if it fixed the problems.