PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Build (Update: Wheels & Tires Arrived- Pics)

NewSpeedSteed
10-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Well its come time to fortify my rear end for bigger sticker tires.... I know most people don't bother with stronger axles or anything but I've witnessed first hand Mustangs breaking there axles at the track- and seen videos on streetfire and youtube where they break em on stock tires. I'm planning on running Nitto 555Rs in the back (315s to boot) so I'm playing it smart and building the rear.
The components:
31 Spline Moser Axles
Ford Racing Trac-Loc 31 Spline Differential- I know Auburn and Eaton make 'better ones" but I got the axles and differential as a 'kit' for 450 bucks so I can't complain.

I'll also post pictures of the wheel and tire combo I'm getting (shipped out later than these parts) they should get here sometime in the next week or two. This kit includes 2 17x9" & 2 17x10.5" black painted 5 lug FR500 style wheels, 2 Nitto NT555 275/40/17 & 2 Nitto NT555R 315/35/17 drag radial tires mounted and balanced for about 1200 bucks.

But heres what the rear end parts look like (I'll try to get some install pics for the hell of it too):

DustinsDuster
10-10-2008, 06:53 PM
you should be pretty good with that setup Nate- i ran moser axles with the stock 30 spline setup in my Duster with quicktime pros for years and never had a single issue with them.

what kind of wheel bearings are you going to run with them?

NewSpeedSteed
10-10-2008, 08:50 PM
you should be pretty good with that setup Nate- i ran moser axles with the stock 30 spline setup in my Duster with quicktime pros for years and never had a single issue with them.

what kind of wheel bearings are you going to run with them?

Since the car only has 12k miles I'll just keep the stockers for now.

DustinsDuster
10-11-2008, 10:13 AM
good- i was going to recommend sticking with stock stuff instead of going with the sealed/Green bearings. i run the Green's in my Duster, but it's far from a daily driver, and those bearings really dont do well with side load at all. stock taper bearings are where it's at.

NewSpeedSteed
10-17-2008, 04:24 PM
So when I was at work the UPS man stopped by and I found these in my garage. I'll try to get some pics with the old wheels and tires on it for a before and after shot too.

biohazard
10-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Sexy.

Domestic Disturbance
10-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Should have gotten something stickier

NewSpeedSteed
10-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Should have gotten something stickier

Oh I know I should have gone with BFGs or something but these will last me forever. plus since I got the biggest sizes I could go on 17s and not rub I think they should hook.... God, I hope so LOL. Plus 1200 bucks for mounted, balanced and shipped so it was more the price than the tires themselves that sold me on these. Gotta love the rims though :biggrin:

Drifte
10-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Good stuff, nice clean car and mods. Lets see those pics with em on.

Deathinnovember
10-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I know how excited you are to finally receive these, So I'm definitely pumped for you. It'll be a huge improvement over the stockers for sure, I just hope you don't have any rub issues, I know on the Fourth Generation Fbodys you had to mod the bump stop to get 315's to fit.

I'm definitely coming up for "moral" support when you put these on, Maybe Branson can install some fog lights on someone's car lmao.

We need to at least cruise once together before the Z06 goes into storage, It's just freshly waxed and washed so maybe this weekend?

Since the car only has 12k miles I'll just keep the stockers for now.

Slut.

Fire Hawk
10-19-2008, 09:12 PM
There shouldn't be any problem with the 315's fitting your car. I think at most if it has the quad shocks they might have to be flipped. Once you get some UCA & LCA's you can do away with those from what I remember. Now get them on and give us some before/after pics. :supz:

Domestic Disturbance
10-19-2008, 11:37 PM
those wheels are sexy, and 315s always help back that ass

FiFdYnUtZ
10-27-2008, 10:43 AM
should be fine for traction...i have the bfg's on my TA and it will almost deadhook on the street...but that was on the stock converter and manifolds...its a diff story now im sure (havent launched on the street yet)

LayneAlways
10-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Where'd you get those, and how much?!

ZEE
10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Nittos are a compromise between what I call a real drag radial and sticky street tire. As far as drag radials they are at the bottom of the drag radial food chain. They're stickier than a regular street tire but don't last as long. They are not as sticky as other drag radials but they last longer and are way more rain friendly and more suited to a daily driver. They are fairly slick on cold pavement and you still have to be a little careful in the rain. I still want to try those new Mickeys when the rear end goes in though.

NewSpeedSteed
10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Nittos are a compromise between what I call a real drag radial and sticky street tire. As far as drag radials they are at the bottom of the drag radial food chain. They're stickier than a regular street tire but don't last as long. They are not as sticky as other drag radials but they last longer and are way more rain friendly and more suited to a daily driver. They are fairly slick on cold pavement and you still have to be a little careful in the rain. I still want to try those new Mickeys when the rear end goes in though.

In all honesty my car is more of a weekend toy than full time track car. I'm planning on picking up a set of wrinkle walls (with skinnies) for the track; I'll be buying them in the early summer, and use the nittos for street play. I put about 3k miles on my car a year so the nittos will last me a while, I didn't go with BFGs or anything real sticky strictly because there lifespan is real short. IMHO since there 315 wide they have to be better than my stock Gatorbacks (aka Skaterbacks). The rear end should be finished up this week sometime and I'll put the wheels on it soon after- pics soon I swear.

ZEE
10-27-2008, 10:08 PM
They're a good choice for what you want out of them. I just wish they were a little stickier :). Definately better than a gatorback for straight line acceleration. I've got 315's also and I don't tear them up much. I think there 2 years old. Longer than I expected out of them.

69gt4speed
10-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I burnt those 315 nittos up in 3 months just jacking around but its a heavy front car and irs. Zee order up those new m/ts in 315 size while they are around. Nittos can corner better imo than the goodyears so can the 275 m/t w right tire pressures. The hoosier d/r sucks for corners. I haven't tried 28# though. Both nitto and the m/t 275's have fairly stiff sidewalls for corners. Should work on a solid rear. The thing about the nittos got to get them hot and that wastes tire just doing that.