PDA

View Full Version : Looking for fellow DSMer's in the CR area

knewblewkorvette
10-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone,
It has been along time since I've been on this site (I had some brain surgeries so I've lost allot of memory). I have two DSMs so I'm posting this topic to find fellow DSMer's to meet.
My first DSM is a 1991 Talon TsiAWD 5-speed; I'm the orignal and only owner. She has 89K miles on her. She is speeding ticket red with the black top.
The second DSM is a 1992 Talon TsiAWD automatic. I'm the third owner and she has about 127k miles on her. She is white and called the Screamin' Eagle.
Things I'm interested in is getting my Talons faster yet still reliable. I have purchased palm pilots with other cables/parts before my memory loss. Thing is, I have no idea how to use it. I want to use it on my 92. I plan on getting the DSMLINK for my 91. Other interests is getting all the parts I have on my 91. I had these parts for 3-4 years?? Parts include: EVO III 16G, DNP tublar exhaust manifold, O2 dump, complete 3" exhaust system with no cat :neener: :cop: , fuel injectors, fuel pump and regulaor, all new SS fuel lines, huge intercooler with lines, air intake system, RFL blow off, GM translator and 3" MAF, and more.
Soooo....if anyone has knowledge about using a palm pilot with a DSM or has some experience about modding a DSM, please respond. Actually, any DSMer who wants to meet up let me know.
Thanks
Jay

knewblewkorvette
10-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Crap, I just paged through the old topics and I asked this same question 2 years ago, damn memory of mine. Please put up with my stupidpity but I still need help.

Drifte
10-05-2008, 02:17 PM
well theirs quiet a few of us. Brain surgery..sounds pretty serious. I wondered where you had been, I remember you cars. I like your red virgin dsm. If I could I'd own a clean bone stock dsm with low miles...hard to come by.

knewblewkorvette
10-05-2008, 02:47 PM
WOW :WORSHIP:
You have done what I want to do. I checked out your profile on dsmtuners Wow, you have a nice ride. I'm surprised I haven't seen your car here in CR...though maybe I have seen it... :? Did you do all the work or did your hire someone?

Drifte
10-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I do my own work. Going to have the local guys (TAB fabrication) do up a new intake and charge pipe. They dont know it yet but I may send them my fuel pump assembly as well for some custom work :).

My car is in Cedar Falls where I currently reside until graduation in December! Thanks for the compliments though!

knewblewkorvette
10-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Well I just went through my drawer of Palm Pilot parts, etc. To my surprise, I have not one Palm Pilot, not two Palm Pilots, but three Palm Pilots!!!! I have no idea how I ended up with three Palm Pilots and a wad of cables. I have a Palm IIIc with no cover, a Palm IIIc with a cover, and a Palm IIIxe with a cover. I even have a fold-out keyboard for use with the Palm Pilots. So....whoever helps me with these gets a free Palm Pilot! I have some free time now so I'm going to attempt to charge up the Palm's batteries. Now which cable :suspect: lol

knewblewkorvette
10-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Okay, here is where I'm at.
I have MMCD 1.5 in my computer's "my documents". I also have Palm software on my computer's "desktop" I also managed to hook up the Palm Pilot to my computer. That is charging my Palm Pilot. Now...how in the heck do I get the MMCD to the palm pilot?
Man...I could use a beer.

96-eclipse-gst
10-05-2008, 04:46 PM
There is definately quite a few of us around. You need to go in the palm software and add the mmcd software. If I have some time, I will post up a how to thats somewhere on my computer.

knewblewkorvette
10-05-2008, 05:40 PM
You need to go in the palm software and add the mmcd software.

I tried that. I get a "contains no compatible files" error message :banghead:

If I have some time, I will post up a how to thats somewhere on my computer.

I live in the Kirwood college area. Any chance that someone is close to me? I need some :goodman:

n8kerns
10-05-2008, 06:11 PM
<---Up and coming DSMer =P

If you need the mmcd files to install it I can send it to you. Over aim or yahoo or something. I'd help you install it to but I cant run hotsync on my computer because I run windows 64bit =/ I have to hook up to a friends computer.

Drifte
10-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Yea and i have a mac, and my gf has 64bit and my roomate has vista...im sol.

knewblewkorvette
10-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Honestly, what I think I need is someone to come here and do it.
My computer is only a few years old and it uses Windows XP. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is 64 bit and how do I know that my computer is not it? My computer is a Dell Demension E521.
I'm offering bribes to anyone who helps me know how to do this. I can offer my extra Palm Pilot (actaully I have two, lol), a NEW 12" Pioneer subwoofer, .......or beer?

n8kerns
10-06-2008, 10:09 AM
My car is down atm and once its back I doubt it will make it to CR =/ It never liked that trip. And I doubt your computer is 64 bit, 64 bit XP wasn't distributed with home computers. I pirated mine ;) shhhh.

Drifte
10-06-2008, 12:54 PM
edit:

You can get a 64 bit, but you know if you do you have to ask for it. I'd help ya but Im far away and my cars fuel pump assembly is out.:/

96-eclipse-gst
10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
I would certainly help if I could find the time. Wouldn't it be possible to do that windows help thing where you can give someone the rights to work on your computer from there computer. I could probably get it then, but I've never done that before.

n8kerns
10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
You could use that if you trust someone enough. You give them control of your desktop. You would just have to plug stuff in.

Shayne_GSX
10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
The program RealVNC allows you to access other systems over a network/interweb.

Drifte
10-07-2008, 02:48 PM
if the only prob your having is the pda wont sync try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. If it syncs and the program is not recognized I cant remember what you have to do. I had that problem once but it eventually worked. The software made it into the pda i mean.

knewblewkorvette
10-07-2008, 05:07 PM
My biggest problem is me and my lack of knowledge :Hangman:
Do any of you actually use a Palm Pilot on your DSM?

If I ever get to installing parts in my 1991, I plan on purchasing a laptop and DSMLink; but for my 1992 I figure the Palm would be good enough. The few mods on the 1992 are a turbo swap from a 13b to a ported and polished 14b, 3" exhaust with no cat, manual boost control, and one monster stereo.

Drifte
10-07-2008, 06:44 PM
yea, you dont even really need the palm on your 92, other than to check codes. unless your moving from the stock fuel system or real big boost (usually requires leaving the stock fuel setup) its not really needed.

BTW, what alternator is on your 92? I used a palm on my last cars, havent ordered a new one since the last one quit working.

Shayne_GSX
10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I used one on my 93 for a while. Make sure when the palm software is installed to right click on the icon in the system tray (next to the clock) and double check that "serial connection" or something along those lines is checked.

knewblewkorvette
10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
yea, you dont even really need the palm on your 92, other than to check codes. unless your moving from the stock fuel system or real big boost (usually requires leaving the stock fuel setup) its not really needed.

My car runs rich. IDK whether the injectors have been upgraded

BTW, what alternator is on your 92? I used a palm on my last cars, havent ordered a new one since the last one quit working

It is an 95 amp model. Stock is either 65 or 75 amps here in the USA or 95 amps in Canada....eh

Drifte
10-08-2008, 11:07 AM
canadians get the good stuff.

knewblewkorvette
10-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Make sure when the palm software is installed to right click on the icon in the system tray (next to the clock) and double check that "serial connection" or something along those lines is checked.

I'm to the point of throwing 3 Palm Pilots out the window. I have unloaded the Palm software off my computer and then tried reloading it. I'm not sure I did that right either because I don't think the computer and Palm are comumicating with each other. I've tried different cables and still no luck. :banghead:

Shayne_GSX
10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
On the palm, what do you have your hotsync settings set to?

knewblewkorvette
10-09-2008, 08:53 AM
if your asking whether it is set to local or modem....it is set to local

Shayne_GSX
10-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Alright, I reinstalled the program, and without a palm anymore i'll try to walk you thru as best as possible. Right-click on the Hotsync icon in the system tray (a blue and red icon) if your hotsync cable is serial, then make sure local serial is checked. Then run Palm Desktop. Select Quick Install from the toolbar on the left. That should bring up a dialog box with handheld listed at the top. Click file and find your program (mmcd? palm quick install should automatically find the correct file in the location you saved it.) Then hit the button on your hotsync cable. It should handle the rest.

knewblewkorvette
10-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Right-click on the Hotsync icon in the system tray (a blue and red icon) if your hotsync cable is serial, then make sure local serial is checked.

Okay, one step at a time.
What is the "system tray"? How do I know if my hotsyns cable is serial?

Shayne_GSX
10-09-2008, 06:02 PM
The system tray is the icon tray next to the clock in the lower right corner. Make sure you hit the little arrow to reveal all the icons. You can mouse over the icons it will show the program names. If you have a datalogging cable, then I'm 99.9% sure your cable is a serial cable. Heres a pic of a serial cable and the port it uses, obviously your will have a hotsync connector on one end.

Shayne_GSX
10-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Any updates?

knewblewkorvette
10-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi Guys,
I was gone since Thursday. My daughter had a karata tournament and that consumed all of Saturday. It was worth it, out of the 3 events she entered she got two 1st place trophies and one 2nd place trophy.
Unfortunetly, when I got back to CR, my 91 Talon would not idle...AT ALL. The engine is perfectly okay when driving down the road or giving her gas and keeping the idle above750 rpm. The problem came out of nowhere. Hopefully it is not the ECU and just a dirty idle contol or dirty thottle body.
Okay, back to the Palm problem. The problem still exists.
Yep, the cables I have look like that. One is Y'd and has also a USB (I think that's what it's called). Another cable has a USB adaptor. All the cables have an end like the cable you have pictured....but my computer does not have an input like that :? Hence the USB adaptor. Maybe I'll take pics of what Palm stuff I have before I blow them up along with both Talons :Hangman:

knewblewkorvette
10-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Okay, here are some pics of the cables I have:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/2257000-2257999/2257976_56_full.jpg?

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/2257000-2257999/2257976_54_full.jpg?

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/2257000-2257999/2257976_55_full.jpg?

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/2257000-2257999/2257976_57_full.jpg?

knewblewkorvette
10-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Quick update:
The 91 Talon TsiAWD had a dirty throttle position switch. Luckily, the open/closed switch was just sticking and after cleaning, it works. Otherwise, the quarter sized switch costs over $200 new :vom: Anyhoo, I have the 91 back in storage. Once again, it still does not have any of the aftermarket parts I have for it installed :roll: , the parts are in my basement.
I have not touched a palm since I took those above pictures. My Dad was in the Iowa City hospital for over a week and I was visiting him everyday. He is out of the hospital but not home yet. He has to do at least one week of PT first.
Does anyone need brake pads for a 2nd Gen? I also have a new bra for an Eclipse that has got to go.
Jay

Drifte
10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I have 2 or 3 spare TPS's. Just fyi, next time you need a part, or think you do, check in!