PDA

View Full Version : I Drove A 2009 C6 Z06!

Ricky
10-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I went in to look at a 1987 twin turbo calaway vett they had on the show room floor. I started to talk to the guy about it and then he asked if i wanted to drive it... I said i dont want something to happen to the car when driving it and beating on it.. So i turned around and pointed at the yellow Z06 and said i would want something like that. Next thing i know he is asking if i want to drive it.... Of course i said YES! so they make the call to the guys who come out and open the side of the building so you can drive the cars off the show room floor. We get it outside and he said ok hop in i will go grab a plate. so im sitting in this thing and its just sitting there purrring and then the goose bumps start hitting me. We start down the road and i hear a ding and it says LOW FUEL... so i told the guy that we are almost out of gas..."thats normal, a lot of our cars have only a few gallons in them." we get up by the SUBARU dealership and i turn right and head towards European motors... then BAM! out of gas. rolled it down the hill into a parking lot and waited 25 minutes for gas. Meanwhile my girlfriend it sitting in my car at the dealership and people are asking her if im going to trade my car in and how much she wanted for the car. (i guess there was a guy there that really wanted my car) finally get gas and head to highway 100 :) im getting closer to the on-ramp and he says.."Eric are you going to drive the car or just pussy foot arond?" so i drop it into 3rd, which puts us at about 2,000rpm, and i floor it... the fucking thing is crazy smooth and the power is unreal! it just kept pulling and pulling and i took 3rd to about 5500 and then hit 4th and floored it again... by the time we get on highway 100 im doing about 120mph. we were crusin at 90mph and it felt like 55 the car is quite and smooth and amazing but in the end i would rather have a house.... sticker price was 80,000. these cars are amazing!

DustinsDuster
10-05-2008, 01:49 PM
sounds awesome man- im jealous. i still havent gotten a ride in BBunting's turbo vette yet, i cant even imagine what that thing feels like...

Stutz
10-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Very nice, but i think the whole salesmen saying someone really wants your car is just talk. Cause this saturday i went to a lot in iowa city and a salesmen offered me $7k for my gtp he said someone wanted a modded one really bad. But i figured he was just playing games wanting me to sell it and buy something there.

Just live in the Z06. I test drove a 09 G8 GT the other day, i love them!

69gt4speed
10-05-2008, 10:08 PM
We need another person that looks/drives good to take it for a spin. Meantime, call me I'll book up there and we can do a few roll tests for iaf. How about it? I am truly surprised he let you drive it. pm me if interested. If I lose so be it. We'll get it on video.

Domestic Disturbance
10-06-2008, 12:27 AM
was the P. Mcgraths? they have a c4 callaway?

Ricky
10-06-2008, 05:24 PM

yeah it was and i was going to take the callaway out after the C6 but the running out of gas took up a lot of time.

And yeah i too am VERY surprised they let me drive it too... i was in a t-shirt and jeans and im only 22... and i look young for 22. it was a once in a life time thing i think :(

DustinsDuster
10-06-2008, 09:18 PM
sticker price was 80,000. these cars are amazing!

just think, for half of that, you could probably have this:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/37/l_4f6573a45d1f4c69b0cc7cba06800244.jpg

Domestic Disturbance
10-07-2008, 12:01 AM
c5z's are quite the sexy car, and you can get them low 30s-20s, but the ls7 compared to the ls6 is quite the difference, both in durability and power. although, for that big of a price gap who knows... someday I'll own both, and my hardest decision of the day will be which z06 to take out that day

DustinsDuster
10-07-2008, 03:02 AM
that vette has a 427ci C5R block and twin turbos....

Domestic Disturbance
10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
well that would help my decision making process

Ricky
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
think i could pick that up for 30,000? :)

DustinsDuster
10-07-2008, 04:03 PM
think i could pick that up for 30,000? :)

maybe- they were only expecting $40k or so out of it on ebay. watch the auctions for a bit to see if it comes up, or go to Performance Concepts. the car is there, and they could probably put you in touch with the seller.

slow ride
10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
My ls6 works ok I guess ;)

Ricky
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
that would be freaking cool but i really shouldnt. i dont have much money built up right now after the down payment i put down on my house. but some day i will have my black Z06!

Drifte
10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
your talon made more! :)

slow ride
10-07-2008, 05:20 PM
On $15 a gallon gas, eating wideband o2 sensors all the way home :tonqe: You guys know I like all cars, but my vette can make that power on BP or even Walmart swill. It's nice not dinking around with all the little add on stuff and actually driving the car. I wouldn't want to run into the old Talon at a stoplight though :yawinkle: Having power off idle is fun also :supz:

I don't think some of the younger guys understand that the big dyno pull/ 1/4 mile, c16/Q16/VP import fuel, numbers put up by smaller engine cars are nice, but the cars could never sustain those levels on say a roadcourse, mutiple top gear pulls, etc. Not to mention a 5-10k powerband is not my cup of tea. Everything would need to be backed down to keep heat managed, etc.

Now turbos are the shit I know and I can't rule out adding twins to the vette someday, but doing so on top of big displacement is all that much sweeter. It's hard enough to hook up a rwd car at 500whp, but at 700+ it's not going to happen on the street at low speeds withour a crazy tire.

GMPARTSMAN
10-07-2008, 06:18 PM

yeah it was and i was going to take the callaway out after the C6 but the running out of gas took up a lot of time.

And yeah i too am VERY surprised they let me drive it too... i was in a t-shirt and jeans and im only 22... and i look young for 22. it was a once in a life time thing i think :(

i have been in the callaway vette and it doesnt hold a candle to the Z06..the Z06 will walk the callaway all day

Luminatorz34
10-08-2008, 07:42 PM
i drove this 2 months ago, at pat mcgrath's :)

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/Stevecz28/corvettefront.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/Stevecz28/corvettefrontright.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/Stevecz28/corvetteinterior.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/Stevecz28/corvetteinterior2.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/Stevecz28/corvetteinterior3.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/Stevecz28/corvetterear.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/Stevecz28/corvetterim.jpg

this is just a ls2, with paddle shift. it was quite fun. i shoe horned my tall ass in it and fit like a glove

knewblewkorvette
10-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Now turbos are the shit I know and I can't rule out adding twins to the vette someday, but doing so on top of big displacement is all that much sweeter. It's hard enough to hook up a rwd car at 500whp, but at 700+ it's not going to happen on the street at low speeds withour a crazy tire.

It's hard enough to hook up with just 375 horses. My rear tires are bald compared to my front tires.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/412000-412999/412350_17_full.jpg

Ricky
10-09-2008, 06:17 PM
this is what i drove :) http://www.patmcgrathchevyland.com/Corv ... d=25033276 (http://www.patmcgrathchevyland.com/Corvette-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=25033276)

Drifte
10-09-2008, 08:15 PM

It's hard enough to hook up with just 375 horses. My rear tires are bald compared to my front tires.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/412000-412999/412350_17_full.jpg

sweet garage, I like the signs. well the vette helps too.

BlownPony306
10-10-2008, 05:01 PM

Is it an aero delete Callaway? I think I know who owns that.

Ricky
10-11-2008, 04:20 PM
not sure but the sales guy said the guy who traded it in also owns a Vipper.... that should help narrow it down

DJ0820
10-18-2008, 02:53 PM
god damn that c6 interior is ugly

DustinsDuster
10-18-2008, 03:31 PM

yeah- i guess the 505hp and slot car handling will just have to do its best to make up for it...

Deathinnovember
10-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I drove a Z06 once :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/deathinnovember/Picture386.jpg

On $15 a gallon gas, eating wideband o2 sensors all the way home :tonqe: You guys know I like all cars, but my vette can make that power on BP or even Walmart swill. It's nice not dinking around with all the little add on stuff and actually driving the car. I wouldn't want to run into the old Talon at a stoplight though :yawinkle: Having power off idle is fun also :supz:

I don't think some of the younger guys understand that the big dyno pull/ 1/4 mile, c16/Q16/VP import fuel, numbers put up by smaller engine cars are nice, but the cars could never sustain those levels on say a roadcourse, mutiple top gear pulls, etc. Not to mention a 5-10k powerband is not my cup of tea. Everything would need to be backed down to keep heat managed, etc.

Thank you for explaining that in an intelligent and through manner. A lot of nay sayers will probably bitch about this. But most built imports just can't take the constant abuse, high RPM WOT runs, and low end torque to be competitive in a road race. Make sure that the fan boys heard I said, "Most."

yeah- i guess the 505hp and slot car handling will just have to do its best to make up for it...

Actually a lot of people prefer the C5 interior to the C6, it is a bit ugly, but definitely a lot more luxurious. Thats coming from a non-basis standpoint of course :)

As for the discussion on whether or not to get a C5Z or C6Z on the matter of performance and potential, I'm going to have to go with the C5Z. For a lot less money, in a more comfortable vehicle, with quite a bit more aftermarket you could easily surpass even a modified C6Z in a C5Z. With just BPU's, H/C package , and stock suspension to boot.

That's very little modifications, with a car that's really easy to work on and extremely reliable. But come on we're talking about Corvettes, it's expensive to modify it period. With standard intakes that are $400+ and headers that are $1,800+ it's not the right road for everyone, but it's fantastic platform to build upon and in the end that is what really matters, a Rav4 just wouldn't be worth upgrading now would it :)

I apologize for all the grammar and spelling errors that I'm sure are in there, I'm hung over, still probably drunk, and I have defecate rushing out of my ass like a freight train.

ZEE
10-19-2008, 07:41 PM
I'd probably take the C6 over the C5. Start with more end with more I always say. Mods cost the same for the C5 as the C6. Although the initial cost of a C5 is definitely cheaper than the C6 for the budget minded.

Deathinnovember
10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I'd probably take the C6 over the C5. Start with more end with more I always say. Mods cost the same for the C5 as the C6. Although the initial cost of a C5 is definitely cheaper than the C6 for the budget minded.

It's all a matter of preference, they both have a lot of potential, I just think one has more then the other. There's definitely a difference in price and size of the aftermarket. From what I can remember (it's been a while since I've done research on that crap, I've been busy), the price of aftermarket parts for C6Z's was absolutely ridiculous. But, of course money isn't a issue for everyone. If you can afford a C6 Z06 I'm sure you can afford the aftermarket.

BlownPony306
10-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I personally prefer the C5 over the C6. Especially on the interior ergos.

Domestic Disturbance
10-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Both gorgeous cars in many respects. More power to be gained through the bigger Gen IV engines though. Tall cathedral port heads give a lot more air to work. Plus, the more cubes you start with, adding the same bolt ons... it can only get better. Its all about that initial buy-in. C6Z definitely has the bigger wow factor as its out of the box power is capable of 10s... oh the beautiful things money can buy :drool:

Ricky
10-20-2008, 10:33 AM

its comfy though

DJ0820
10-20-2008, 02:49 PM

its comfy though

Then I guess they got half of it right...

knewblewkorvette
10-20-2008, 03:49 PM
C6Z definitely has the bigger wow factor as its out of the box power is capable of 10s... oh the beautiful things money can buy :drool:

According to Motortrend the new ZR1 does low 11s and that is with about 620 ponies! The Z06 with 550 hp would be like high 11s...yes-no?
If you are in the hunt for a new Z06, Runde Chevy has two of them and they are taking about 14Gs off the sticker price

Deathinnovember
10-20-2008, 05:29 PM
C6Z definitely has the bigger wow factor as its out of the box power is capable of 10s... oh the beautiful things money can buy :drool:

According to Motortrend the new ZR1 does low 11s and that is with about 620 ponies! The Z06 with 550 hp would be like high 11s...yes-no?
If you are in the hunt for a new Z06, Runde Chevy has two of them and they are taking about 14Gs off the sticker price

The LS7 Z06 has 505hp unless there has been a horsepower increase. You can't really go off of motor trend, I've seen people run high 10's in Z06's in real life. I've never seen a ZR1 so I'm not sure what they're running.

Motor trend also said something about C5Z's running high 12's, they definitely run mid to low 12's all day long, I've also seen a few people go 11.9 which is just ridiculous. That was completely stock may I add you, just an amazing driver.

slow ride
10-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Just so everyone knows those stock high 10 c6 z's and mid-high 11's c5 z's times were mostly run in dense cool fall/early spring air at tracks closer to sea level. I would expect with ideal conditions around here would probably add a few tenths to those numbers, but they are true.

allgo
10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
I went 12 teens at 118 with my stock 01 ZO6. The coolest car I have ever owned hands down. say what you want about them but if you ever drove one your opionion would change.

Slow ride knows what I mean... buy the way i will be in Cedar Falls Sat are you working? Stop out.

slow ride
10-20-2008, 07:24 PM
At the track? What are you bringing up? I can probably stop out if I don't work. I've been out in the S4 a for a few Friday night test and tunes in the last month or so. Vette might not be out due to adding a new catback that isn't fitting so well. Dual 3" makes fitting up critical so it doesn't rattle.

allgo
10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
yeah the track, I am bringing the gn and the cobra...

Deathinnovember
10-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Just so everyone knows those stock high 10 c6 z's and mid-high 11's c5 z's times were mostly run in dense cool fall/early spring air at tracks closer to sea level. I would expect with ideal conditions around here would probably add a few tenths to those numbers, but they are true.

Yeah, those fast numbers are definitely not a normal occurrence, they're ideal conditions with amazing drivers. I was just pointing out that they're completely capable of it. From what I've seen Motor Trends numbers are generally pretty slow.

I went 12 teens at 118 with my stock 01 ZO6. The coolest car I have ever owned hands down. say what you want about them but if you ever drove one your opionion would change.

Slow ride knows what I mean... buy the way i will be in Cedar Falls Sat are you working? Stop out.

Yeah, I've driven a lot of cars. The C5Z is one of the best cars I've ever driven if not the best. Sure there's faster and better handling vehicles but there's something about the C5z that really gets to me, I love the handling, the response time, the over all drive ability and come on it's definitely a sexy unique looking car. It's hands down the best car I've owned lol.

Domestic Disturbance
10-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Yeah, basically dream times but like Marc said still capable. I think the best stock C6Z was last october or november and was a 10.98 with stock tires. DR's was 10.7s I believe? Thats like the best ls1 ss time is a 12.7 but most are far from that. Yet to drive any z06, but I've driven a c5 and it felt very confident, so I can only try to imagine better

Deathinnovember
10-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Yeah, basically dream times but like Marc said still capable. I think the best stock C6Z was last october or november and was a 10.98 with stock tires. DR's was 10.7s I believe? Thats like the best ls1 ss time is a 12.7 but most are far from that. Yet to drive any z06, but I've driven a c5 and it felt very confident, so I can only try to imagine better

500 dowwah bitch, 3 minutes.

DJ0820
10-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Personally, I think I could effectively destroy a corvette's drivetrain (and more) in 3 minutes. You could use that 500 for insurance deductible.

knewblewkorvette
10-21-2008, 01:36 PM

The LS7 Z06 has 505hp unless there has been a horsepower increase. You can't really go off of motor trend, I've seen people run high 10's in Z06's in real life. I've never seen a ZR1 so I'm not sure what they're running.

Motor trend also said something about C5Z's running high 12's, they definitely run mid to low 12's all day long, I've also seen a few people go 11.9 which is just ridiculous. That was completely stock may I add you, just an amazing driver.

Doh! Typo on my part with the 550 hp.
Chances are, it will be hard to see a ZR1 first hand. First, they are making no more than 2000 a year, every engine is hand built, and the cost of each is 100K plus. The very first ZR1 went for 1.5 mil on Barret Jackson.
I believe a stock C5 can do high 12s so it would be no surprise that a C5Z would do low 12s.