PDA

View Full Version : Some fabrication I did on my Evo (updated-again)

TbTalon94
09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Alright I polished up the pipes and made some changes to the battery mount. All in all i think it came out decent.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/Engine1.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/Engine2.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/Engine3-1.jpg

-Trevor

DustinsDuster
09-28-2008, 08:59 PM
you know i'll probably contact you when setting up my intercooler piping- stuff like this is why.

Luminatorz34
09-28-2008, 09:31 PM
looks good trevor...here is my 2 cents though....id get rid of the word tab fab on the hold down for the small battery kit. i know its not final so i dont know how much of it will actually remain. and on the charge piping, i think itd be cool if it was the same red as the valve cover. but anyways thats just my thought. looks good otherwise

JacobS
09-28-2008, 09:45 PM
looks great trevor!!!

one question though...why is the heatshield on your exhausts manifold kind of scratched up?

Jappbox
09-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Looks great man. Your project is coming together nicely

TbTalon94
09-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't know why the heat shield is scratched up, it was like that when I got it. Maybe he had a seizure when he was cutting it for the EGT sensor?

As for the battery mount, the entire thing is being changed lol. That was basically a quick deal to get the dimensions finalized and I couldn't make the charge pipe with the stock battery in there. The tie down piece will still have "TAB-FAB" on it, just in a much better way. I most likely will be getting the valve cover powder coated something else, so painting the pipes aren't an option.

Lemme know when you'd like something Dustin :)

-Trevor

TbTalon94
10-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Updated with new pics of the new battery mount. I have to say it looks a million times better :)

What do you guys think?

Drifte
10-02-2008, 09:16 AM
lookin great. Idea: sheetmetal battery box powdercoated..maybe black, maybe polished. idk, id box that tho.

Classes have been rediculous this last semester trev or id be on that talon fab work that needs done.

TbTalon94
10-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Nah I don't think i'm going to make a box. It doesn't really need it, the damn battery was supposed to come with it's own box, but that didn't happen.

Scott
10-02-2008, 11:24 AM
looks like tab needs to be a little thicker maybe, possibly something to hold the battery from moving front to back in case it loosens up over time from vibration or something.. I like the aluminum parts to stay aluminum finish, polished would be cool but Im not a huge fan of coating aluminum since its looks best polished or machined IMO.. The fab work looks great like always, keep it up :supz:

TbTalon94
10-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks scott

All the aluminum is 1/8" thick, it looks like the top peice is bowed a little bit, but it's really not. I don't know why it looks bowed lol. The battery is actually extremely solid in there. I can rock the car by trying to move the battery. I probably won't coat the pipes. I'll either polish them or leave them how they are. We'll see.

xci.ed6
10-02-2008, 03:03 PM
The charge pipe looks a'ight, but I'm not diggin' the battery mount. Could build something cleaner and lighter with basic hand tools in less time.

You seem to like it though. I suggest, at least, replace the all-thread with proper length studs/bolts and using cap head bolts or acorn nuts. That would clean it up a lot.

TbTalon94
10-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Lighter? Are you high Dustin. It's 1/8" aluminum and it's the least amount of material you can do while still retaining regidity (sp). I'd also like to see you make that with basic hand tools faster/cleaner then I made that, I can bet you $500 that you can't.

On a side note, i completely agree with the tie-down rods. They are just the stock ones and I haven't had time to run and get proper length rods. If all else fails I will make tubes that go up to the tie-down and use bolts at the top instead of rods.

xci.ed6
10-02-2008, 03:43 PM
No problemo....now I need to decide what to build a battery tie down for...

Accord-stays stock under the hood
Civic-stolen
599-stock is plastic and rubber, can't make it any lighter
360-no battery (I call that an instant win)

But really, the extra width of the tie down is extra weight, narrow it down to 20mm. The plate on the bottom is silly, it sticks out along the entire length on both sides. There is really no reason for it to extend the entire length of the battery since it doesn't turn up anyway, I'd have it end at the edges of the engine mount bracket. Finally, flip the battery around so the positive terminal can sit on there straight, it looks like you have plenty of ground wire to reach if you route it between the battery and chassis. That is just my critique of your design, if starting from scratch I could probably cut the weight in half again.

TbTalon94
10-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I can cut both the tie down and the battery mount in less then 2 minutes. You said you could make what I did with simple hand tools in less time and look better.

The bottom plate ends at the end of the battery. The sides are extended past the battery a little to allow the mounting tabs to be short and stout for integrity. If the bottom plate was shorter the battery would flop around...trust me I tried it.

I agree with ya the tie down is a little wide but it's purpose was to showcase a decent size logo. If I had access to a CNC mill it'd be a little different but I don't. I understand where your getting at dustin and it's mostly personal preferance. If you looked around at other designs of Evo small battery kits you'll find most are heavy, ugly, and very expensive.

96-eclipse-gst
10-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Keep in mind this is what Trevor liked. Everything we make is made how the consumer wants it. In this case, that was Trevor and thats how he wanted it.

TbTalon94
10-13-2008, 07:25 AM
updated again, some new pics.