PDA

View Full Version : any car stereo guru's?

Phantez
08-15-2008, 02:48 AM
I have a stereo in my car that wont keep its setting or place on the cd after the car is shut off. My brother thought it had to do with having a bad ground, but ive tried several places with no results. I also have a gauge thats wired in with the stereo that doesnt stay lit (When i turn on the headlights, the back light will flick on for a split second, then shut off), and im guessing it has something to do with same problem thats causing the stereo to not keep its place. Anyone know what to do?

Drifte
08-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Your headunit has 2 power supplies. One is the constant and fused 12v, the other is the memory...if I remember correctly. Now its been a while, But I know you just need a different source. Lemme think out loud here, its red 12v fused power, yellow wire illumination, black/green ground...

its been awhile, check your wiring diagram, make sure you run your power to a good constant source. I cant think...im quiting, sry. goodluck

Luminatorz34
08-15-2008, 10:17 AM
colt, yellow is battery constant, and the red is the switched positive (keyed power)

Stg4raddo
08-15-2008, 02:37 PM
red= switched 12v+
yellow= constant 12v+
black= Ground
Orange= illuminations
Blue and/or blue with white stripe= amp turn on/ power antenna

what kinda car is this in? ill try and remember to check back and i can give you the wire colors for the car side of the radio as well.

you are probably missing your 12+ constant wire since its not holding memory. the radio just turns on/ off with the key and resets each time

Phantez
08-15-2008, 03:06 PM
its an 89 nissan 240sx

Drifte
08-15-2008, 03:40 PM
theirs your problem right their...

jk, rough summer for me, sorry I couldnt be more help.

xci.ed6
08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
240sx adapter harnesses have a ground wire, idk why though, because the stock radio grounds through it's chassis. While they have probably hit the nail on the head, problem 2 is that it is most likely grounding through the antenna. You need to make a new ground.

I work for $30/hr. PM me for contact info if you want it done this weekend.

Stg4raddo
08-15-2008, 10:44 PM
i give the info away free pretty much any one can install a radio. dustin is correct the ground is a chassis ground so take the ground wire from the radio put a ring terminal on the end or strip back enough wire to wrap it around a nice bolt. clean any paint off from around the bolt first for a good ground. then the rest of the wires on the car should be as follows if your not using a wiring harness that plugs into the cars harness

Constant 12V+ Red/Black
Switched 12V+ Blue
Ground Chassis
Illumination Red/Blue
Dimmer Red/Yellow
Antenna Trigger Black/Red
Antenna Left Rear
Front Speakers 4" x 6" Doors
Left Front (+) Blue/White
Left Front (-) Blue/Yellow
Right Front (+) Brown
Right Front (-) Brown/White
Rear Speakers 6 1/2" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) Red
Left Rear (-) Green
Right Rear (+) Blue
Right Rear (-) Pink

Drifte
08-26-2008, 12:49 PM
pretty much anyone, and yet...here we are.