PDA

View Full Version : Car battery problems

ZacFields
08-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Is it normal for a car's battery to die after a month of not being started?

I'm trying to decide if my cavalier's battery has a problem. At this point, I'm not sure how long it takes for the battery to drain completely, but I know that it happens. I know back in the spring when it was cooler (not cold, but back when it was like 40's during the day) the battery wouldn't last a week if I didn't start the car up.

Anyone have any ideas? I really hope I don't have some sort of electrical leak or something that is draining my battery.

30lbsboost
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Is it normal for a car's battery to die after a month of not being started?

I'm trying to decide if my cavalier's battery has a problem. At this point, I'm not sure how long it takes for the battery to drain completely, but I know that it happens. I know back in the spring when it was cooler (not cold, but back when it was like 40's during the day) the battery wouldn't last a week if I didn't start the car up.

Anyone have any ideas? I really hope I don't have some sort of electrical leak or something that is draining my battery.

how old is the battery? , could have a parasitic draw from somthing not turning off and drawing a few mili amps, also could normal draw from one of the modules on the car.

load test the battery
do a parasitic draw test

that should tell you whats going on

later,
Scott

Malibu
08-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Don't you have a fancy alarm on that car. I know that once I put my alarm on my truck if I leave it sit for more then a couple weeks it goes dead. Just a thought.

Aaron

SaNdMaNsSi
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
It is from my personal experience of jump starting at least 1 person a day that even if a car sits for 2 weeks, it will most likely be dead. I jump start old people's cars all the time that don't start them for 1 1/2- 2 weeks and they are constantly dead. Also, what most people don't understand is that warm temperatures are just as bad on batteries as the cold is. I jump start 5-10 cars on any given 90+ degree day. Just a thought-

DustinsDuster
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
i could be wrong, but ive noticed if a battery drains completely in the cold of winter, it has a habit of going out completely. are the sides of the batter swollen at all?