PDA

View Full Version : Politics....

ZacFields
07-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Does anyone ever notice that this forum is incapable of having a civil political discussion? It always starts pretty vanilla and then page-by-page it just gets uglier.

Anyways, I'll make this pretty quick. I don't like to say nasty things (just like most people) so I would like to be the first to extend apologies to anyone that may have been offended by anything that I said.

When I speak about politics, I speak in general terms. Every situation has it's own story. When I speak about "government handouts," and how it should be more difficult for people to get them, I don't mean that they should steal your sister's welfare checks or take away your best buddy's food stamps. If anything, I think JJ240 and I gave a few good examples of people that are able to cheat the system. So for anyone who took that comment the wrong way, I apologize.

I would also like to apologize to Rob and Anita from my end. I did say some things that were hateful and things that I knew would be offensive and I'm sorry. Anita, I understand you were forced out of work due to cancer and I do apologize for bringing that up. I wasn't thinking about that when I said it, and I'm sorry. As I told Anita via PM, when we aren't arguing about something she's actually a very sweet lady, and I do value her friendship which is why I would create an apology out in the open for all to see.

As far as why I would get bent out of shape, here it is: I HATE being misrepresented. My biggest pet peeve is when people assume things about me based on something they see in a message board. Anyone who has ever met me knows that I am a passive and fair person. Anyone who knows me well knows the kind of respect that I have for my parents and of all elders. I grew up saying "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir." It wasn't until I moved to Iowa that I met kids my age that didn't refer to an elder as Maam or Sir. Heck, I speak that way to employees that work under me. You can call me any name in the book as long as it's true, but misrepresenting me is not fair especially for people who don't know me.

MustangSally
07-28-2008, 09:10 PM
zac,
I am here now to APOLOGIZE for the nasty, mean things I had said to you in my p.m. today when I was very upset over the nasty things YOU and ASHLEY said to me in a public thread titled "WHY I'M VOTING REPUBLICAN" for all members to read.

My nastiness was done in private to you out of respect, but I will apologize in public because I'm not embarrassed to admit when I may be wrong or in the wrong, or say things in the heat of the moment.

DustinsDuster
07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
i've always tried my best to adhere to the idea of saying what you feel, and letting the chips fall where they may. i think you've got quite a good head on your shoulders Zac; and even though i might not agree with every single thing you think, i try my best to respect other's views. the most common problem always seems to be the other person telling me i'm "wrong" flat out, and then the arguments ensue.

in the end, i have a lot of respect for almost everyone on the site, no matter what their views. i'd elaborate more, but im tired. maybe tomorrow. goodnight all.

ZEE
07-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I told ya' political discussions are bad and evil and no good. I usually try to stay out of them. I'm weak. :help:

ZacFields
07-28-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of constant bickering and arguing. That's part of the reason I can't bring myself to become any more involved in politics than I am. I remember carrying a Bush sign through Kirkwood once for the college republicans (they gave me one for my yard) and these two older ladies saw it and screamed out " EWWWWW ". I ignored them, as I usually would in these types of situations, but I remember thinking "What in the hell would possess somebody to just lash out at a complete stranger like that over something so stupid?"

Politics is dirty dirty discussion. The funny thing is that I've known that for a long time.

slobalt
07-29-2008, 10:38 AM
You should hear the "discussions" at work, lol.

Back in Texas political the discussion was easy, every one was preaching to the choir....

You Iowans have a nice blend and on rare occasions some good debates occur. but usually it just ends up with petty bickering and name calling. Its a nice ring side seat to pass the lunch time...