PDA

View Full Version : getting the most from a tune

slobalt
07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I know its probably a general question and may not have a simple answer so it may seems kinda silly to ask but

Where does the most power come from when adjusting a tune at WOT?

is it really just as simple as maintaining your AFR and increasing your timing table till just before knock, or are there other secrets that tuners and shops are not willing to share and maybe you guys might?

In April I averaged 14.2 sec at tri-state on a stock tune, last week I averaged 14.0 and the only difference was a tune and expierence. I give the .2 sec to expierence not the tune cause 60's dropped from 2.3's to 2.2's. So what am I missing? any thoughts ideas? Thanks for any help.....

allgo
07-15-2008, 02:52 PM
In most cases they say what you pick up in your 60ft you can add to the big end. That is why you went 2 tenths faster your 60ft was 1 tenth better. Turbo cars in most cases pick up more cause of there big end charge.

Scott
07-15-2008, 03:19 PM
tuning can only get you so far, when it comes down to drag racing like allgo said, if you shave .1 off you 60' its very typical to expect a gain "loss" of .2-.3 possibly more at the end of the 1/4. Gotta start looking at the chassis set-up, FWD you dont want any weight transfer, maybe get adjustable rear shocks and stiffen them up as tight as possible. You want a big difference get some real light weight wheels and some stickies up front, take out as much weight as you can, high octane gas and more timing. You should be experimenting right now with free stuff like tires pressure change, "lower in front, higher in rear" you might actually go faster if there is a place to add weight on the nose of your car... never know untill you try. good luck

McKeever
07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
How does your mph compare from before and after the tune? Your mph is a good indication of how much power you’re making.

30lbsboost
07-15-2008, 05:54 PM
tuning is everything! and yes there are many secrets out there.

slobalt
07-16-2008, 06:32 AM
How does your mph compare from before and after the tune? Your mph is a good indication of how much power you’re making.

I'm getting good gas mileage now, before I was averaging 28mpg. Now I'm averaging 32. I did the truck too and went from 15 to 20.

edit: Looking at other slips with about the same ET, the MPH went up from 101 to 104

tuning is everything! and yes there are many secrets out there.

LOL, yep this is the standard answer, every now and then somebody will give me new hints.......

Scott
07-16-2008, 07:23 AM
haha thats kinda funny, he said MPH "from the drag strip" not MPG

slobalt
07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
great now to top it all off I just got............

awww never mind......lol

reading>me...........